Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Reno, NV or Sacramento CA Magneto repair?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2837 times

Old 01-13-2012, 01:14:21 PM
Registered

Question Reno, NV or Sacramento CA Magneto repair?

After considering building a magneto charger (or re-magnetizer, as it is sometimes called), it seems to me that the cost would be prohibitive what with the cost of copper nowdays. I have a couple of WICO EK mags that are pretty much intact, but have lost their magnetism. So, I have been asking around to see if I could find anyone that has the equipment to do this. The reaction to my queries, by pretty much everyone that has anything to do with ignition or generator repair, overhaul and etc is...HUH!!?!?!? You'd think I was asking about voodoo black magic or something. In other words, I have come up with no one that could possibly do that....actually no one that has any idea what it is all about and no one I have spoken with knows even what little I know about the subject, much less has the required equipment! I guess magneto knowledge is in short supply and pretty much anyone that had the equipment, skill and knowledge to recharge these things is gone and that brand of black magic is pretty much lost to us. I know that there are a few people around (John Rex, for one) that do this at old engine shows and places where fans of the old stuff gather, but there seems to be none of that out west here.

So, my question is...does anyone on this forum know of anyone within driving distance (in pretty much any direction) of either Reno, NV or even Sacramento, CA that would be able and willing to recharge a couple of magnetos??? Any help would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 01:40:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Reno, NV or Sacramento CA Magneto repair??

Try a physics department at a nearby college.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,164 Times in 305 Posts

There is a guy in Redding, Craigs Alternator Service, search him on Yahoo. His number will pop up on the first search. I have had him work on mags in the past, reasonable and good work. I think he is the closest, I have not found anyone closer?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:14:26 PM
Registered

There is also a guy in Santa Rosa, CA, that rebuilt my WICO mag. He advertises in Gas Engine Magazine. He replaced needed parts, including the (missing) front plate, and the mag works fine

David Hughes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16:39 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Reno, NV or Sacramento CA Magneto repair?

I've had great luck with Craig's Alternator service in Redding CA. He bought out a old Magneto repair service with all the tools and recharging devices for magneto,Was kites Electric.

Craigs Alternator service ,530 246 2747 craigsmagneto@yahoo.com