Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

1927 Cushman 2-stroke

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3250 times

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50:32 PM
Registered

Default 1927 Cushman 2-stroke

I recently acquired a 1927 Cushman 2-stroke and it's all complete. This engine was originally on a reel-type Bob a Long push mower. I have no idea where the mower is and really, I'm only interested in the engine itself.

I have a couple of old engines for restoration purposes only but I'm tackling this one first. Mainly because it the oldest one I have and it just looks cool.

I can be a purest at times, but there are times when original can be dull.

My question is the paint scheme or colors. This one is a silver color body, black flywheel and black gas tank and black battery box. It's extremely obvious that a previous owner must have used a cheap spray can or even a brush to lay these coats of paint (yuk) so because the existing finish is yukky, I'm redoing the entire engine.
I'm hoping to keep black as black but that could change. I'm wondering about the air shroud

Is there any way to tell what the original manufacture paint schemes are for this engine? I have a couple of ideas but don't want to go too far off original (Ireally don't know what original is at this stage). BTW I found that the gas cap and spout are solid brass. I carefully buffed them both and they really came up nice.

The 3 pics below show my two pics plus one from the Stak forum as the original lawnmower (not pretty is it?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	140113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	140114   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPbobla.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	140117  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HistoryBuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 09:52:12 AM
Registered

Default Re: 1927 Cushman 2-stroke

A little mini update. After digging deeper, further stripping down and buffing, I found the main engine body is cast illuminum (so no paint there IMO). What ever original silver paint that was there from the previous guy was only to freshen up the look...at the time. I'm buffing it down and leaving it original illuminum.

In contrast to that, the head is cast iron and was never painted. So I'll just clean that up and not paint it at all.

I'm thinking the flywheel, gas tank and battery box was always black as I see shades of black below this yukky surface. This leaves the air shroud to be decided upon for color.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. I want it to pop but not too gaudy. Era correct colors would be more in the order.

Most everything that has the old yukky painted surface has been buffed down to bare metal. Now to decide what type of paint and colors.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:42:46 PM
Registered

Cool looking motor! please post picts when Your done.
Steve A W
Old 08-30-2012, 04:48:00 PM
Registered

Well, here's my finished product. I hope it meets approval. This is my first restoration of an old engine.
I could not get over how much brass (solid brass) was on this engine
I started my next one already. It's a Suffolk Iron Foundry 4 stroke 3.5HP. A Google search tells me it was made 1962, but the name plate suggests pantented in 1920
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	143729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	143730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	143731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	143732  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HistoryBuff For This Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 04:50:52 PM
Registered

This is the Suffolk Iron Foundry engine. As I said I think it's from 1962 just based on what I see. Does anyone have a better educated guess as to its age?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	143733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	143734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	143735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	143736  
The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryBuff For This Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for posting the after picts.
That is a very nice looking motor.
You did a great job on the restoration, You should be proud!
Steve A W
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve A W For This Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10:43 PM
Subscriber

Hi HB
Your Cushman engine is Beautiful, before and after, to a Cushman collector. I have one like yours, well almost? Mine is missing the carb, shroud, and the exhaust manifold / front engine mount / name tag. But I do have the clutch for the jack shaft.
I have another one of similar design, 2 stroke, air cooled. It came off a Rue washing machine, with a kick start and flat belt pully. Mod. 2 - Type A - 1/2 HP - RPM 1200 - Eng No. 950
I sure would like to see a head shot, pic showing the manifold? That is something I can fab? I think yours is square, and the one I have is round? By the way, do you have a tag with engine specs?
Thank you, very nice engine.
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Whitney For This Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 02:48:06 AM
Registered

Both engines turned out nice. Any chance of a video of them running?
The Following User Says Thank You to larskyler For This Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 03:56:15 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitney View Post
Hi HB
Your Cushman engine is Beautiful, before and after, to a Cushman collector. I have one like yours, well almost? Mine is missing the carb, shroud, and the exhaust manifold / front engine mount / name tag. But I do have the clutch for the jack shaft.
I have another one of similar design, 2 stroke, air cooled. It came off a Rue washing machine, with a kick start and flat belt pully. Mod. 2 - Type A - 1/2 HP - RPM 1200 - Eng No. 950
I sure would like to see a head shot, pic showing the manifold? That is something I can fab? I think yours is square, and the one I have is round? By the way, do you have a tag with engine specs?
Thank you, very nice engine.
Bob
Thanks Bob. As I said it's my first restoration and really enjoyed the process. I have no engine specs for it.
I can take a couple of macro shots of the manifold but let me know looking from which angle.

When I removed the manifold I wasn't really sure what it was since it was weird looking, not your typical manifold.
It is square or cubed shaped and 100% cast aluminum with a tin plate bolted underneath to rid, or focus, the exhaust gases away from the engine. Mine is aimed at the battery box which is not factory correct. Because this engine is off the Bob-a-Lawn mower the original battery box sits 90 degrees to the right-front of the engine. Mine is only located where it is for display purposes

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by larskyler View Post
Both engines turned out nice. Any chance of a video of them running?
Actually the red one (Suffolk Iron) is in pieces right now and was running before I tore it apart. The picture you see is prior to restoration. I don't have a video camera appropriate for downloading on Youtube. I will try something else if it works for me.
Just yesterday my brother dopped off a couple more as he was on the hunt for me. I now have a 1948 to 1954 REO 4-stroke added to my collection and maybe a Clinton (unsure). Some one else repainted and botched everything up, decals and name plates all missing. After I finish the Suffulk Iron, the REO is next (still busy doing other stuff too)
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28:24 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,578 Times in 900 Posts

Great looking engines. Glad you are having so much fun with them. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39:31 PM
Subscriber

Hi HB
I have found a factory photo dated 3 - 7 - 27 showing a Bob - A - Lawn lawn mower. It shows a good frontal shot. It shows the manifold or a collector box, with a muffler attached. Its from The History of Cushman Motor Works book. It shows the exhaust exits out the flywheel side.
You say yours exits out the front??? Could your cube box accually be a muffller???
I belive the manifold on my washing machine engine was designed for a flex tube, like the Maytag???
I will post some pics, when I get my good pc out of the shop next week, I hope??? Dial up, is not friendly to pcs???
Bob
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36:39 PM
Registered

My muffler cube actually faces front towards the sparkplug and the bolt pattern won't allow it to aim any other way (found that out later) so it could be a different series, yet the same engine