Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

10 hp Briggs & Stratton; How to rebuild?

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 4862 times

Old 04-04-2015, 12:34:59 AM
Registered

Default 10 hp Briggs & Stratton; How to rebuild?

Where would be the best place to research rebuilding this engine? While mowing it started backfiring and died. While trying to restart it I noticed that there was fire shooting out of the muffler. It now shows zero compression. I have used it for over 20 years and it has been great and I can't see just replacing it... I will most likely be hitting you guys up along the way of rebuilding this to take advantage of your experience. Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 01:04:22 AM
Registered

Default Re: 10 hp Briggs & Stratton; How to rebuild?

First thing i would do is pull the cylinder head off and check the valves. Is a valve stuck open ? Are the valves opening and closing when you turn the engine over. If they are not opening and closing when you turn the engine over, you most likely have a bad crank or cam gear. Is the cam broke ? Does it have a hole in the piston ? Maybe a blown head gasket ? Is the block cracked between the valves ? Does it have a broken piston or broke connecting rod ? If your lucky, you only have a stuck valve or blown head gasket. Let us know what you find ?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17:33 AM
Registered

Agree with the exhaust valve, keeper came off or valve seat came loose and is holding the valve open. Pull the head
Old 04-04-2015, 10:03:40 AM
Registered

Excellent. I am chomping at the bits to get on it. Unfortunately it is Easter and we are expecting a lot of family over so first I must get past that. I will let you know what I find. Thank you guys for the quick response!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:19:41 AM
Registered

i would suggest going on ebay and finding the proper service manual for this type of briggs engine as that will help greately and best part is they are cheap usualy
Old 04-04-2015, 12:55:36 PM
Registered

What is the model, type, and code numbers of your B&S engine?

Aluminum block, or cast-iron block?

Some B&S repair manuals can be found online to download at no cost.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:46:18 PM
Registered

The model # Is 255707 Type is # 0126 01
I have ordered a manual off of ebay...
I believe that the block is aluminum as a magnet will not stick to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Gibson For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 09:41:02 AM
Subscriber

Might just be a glob of carbon under the valve. These engines can get that way after a while - to where occasionally a chunk of carbon breaks free and either fowls the plug or hangs up a valve. Could just pull the head and decarbonize it. While there, check for a ridge. That will tell you how much cylinder wear you have and if it is time for a rebuild. If the carbon buildup itself is kind of oily that is another indication that oil is getting by the rings and it might be time for a rebuild.

How's the plug look? If it fouls regularly or has a bunch of ash buildup on it then you are burning oil - another indicator of a worn-out engine.

But then, I have seen valves hang up on pieces of a rotten air cleaner getting sucked into the engine...
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07:45 PM
Registered

Hopefully this week I will be able to get in to it... You guys have lifted my hopes that it may not be as severe as I have imagined.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49:21 PM
Registered

OK. I got the head off and found a very small screw that must have come out of the carburetor in the combustion chamber. It had obviously found its way under the exhaust valve and bent it. I placed the small screw in the cylinder so it would be included in this picture. This is as far as the exhaust valve will close. There was also a trail of oil on the bottom of the cylinder. I need to determine if it will need to be bored out or not. Click image for larger version

Name:	10 hp B&S.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	222954
Old 04-07-2015, 01:35:53 AM
Registered

As long as there is no damage to the cylinder bore, it should not need boring.

Pop the valve out, put a new one in, and test compression.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51:35 AM
Subscriber

Yes, just replace the valve. Check that it is seating OK, and check that there is about .012 thou clearance against the tappet. More than that is OK but less is not good. Dealing with the valve keepers can be frustrating if you don't have the proper tools - just take your time and be patient. And work in a nice, clean uncluttered room so that when the keepers shoot across the room you can find them. They may also try to shoot up in to your eye so wear glasses. Or better - make or borrow a proper spring compressor.

Most important - try to find where the screw came from so the other loose ones there don't also make their way into the engine.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:47:24 PM
Registered

The screw came out of either the throttle or choke butterfly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 09:44:33 PM
Registered

Checking with a feeler gauge I noticed that the gauge slips in easier on one side than it does the other. A friend of mine is going to loan me a mic and hone in case I need it. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the input. I will keep you posted. I will be out of town for the next day or two but I am not going to disappear without letting you guys know whats up..... I hate it when I am helping people and that happens. lol

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

I was checking the clearance of the piston...
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdstew View Post
The screw came out of either the throttle or choke butterfly
Good call. The screw came out of the throttle butterfly.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

The carburetor nozzle is not wanting to come out. I have sprayed it with PB blaster and I am starting to get concerned with stripping the slotted head on it. It has to come out to replace the screw that came out of the throttle nozzle. Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:58:04 PM
Registered

make a custom screwdriver the same size as the hole, and grind a square, flat tip that just fits the slot. Wedge shaped tips that are too small will damage the slot every time.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:43:40 PM
Registered

Sorry it took so long to get back. Since I posted last I have gained one grandson and one granddaughter! Honed and rebuilt the motor. It is now .010 over. I learned a great deal during this process. I can not thank you guys enough for your input. BTW, The screws that were in the butterfly's in the carb. were put in using thread locker! lol

One final question I could use the answer to though is this: Do any of you know of a video that shows a carburetor being adjusted? I have read and I have tried but I think that the carb could be adjusted better.

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:51:04 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gibson View Post
Sorry it took so long to get back. Since I posted last I have gained one grandson and one granddaughter! Honed and rebuilt the motor. It is now .010 over. I learned a great deal during this process. I can not thank you guys enough for your input. BTW, The screws that were in the butterfly's in the carb. were put in using thread locker! lol

One final question I could use the answer to though is this: Do any of you know of a video that shows a carburetor being adjusted? I have read and I have tried but I think that the carb could be adjusted better.

Thanks again!
When you say that it is .010" over did you mean the ring gap. Last Briggs I rebuilt there was almost 1/8" gap in the rings. I ordered new ones and the ring gap was perfect.
I tried to skim through all the posts on this thread. Did you state what kind of carb this is? Check Donyboy73's videos?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Thomas For This Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 02:47:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gibson View Post
Recalling back almost fifty years to my Briggs small engine course... High speed adjustment (top of carb with spring around it); Turn in slowly to just touch seat, then back out 1 1/2 turns as beginning set up. This is then adjsted for highest RPM at 3/4 throttle. Idle adjustment -on bottom of carb with flat face finger adj- turn in to just seat then back out three turns initial, then adjust for best idle speed with throttle closed.

High speed adjustment may be fine tuned down road depending upon burn quality. Plug shows lean burn=back out a bit. Plug shows rich burn=turn in a bit.
Doc