Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Polisher Restoration

this thread has 61 replies and has been viewed 4283 times

Old 05-27-2017, 10:23:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Polisher Restoration

I can't say I am surprised that Cincinnati Tool went out of business. Back when I got my bigger machine, 2HP with a built in dust blower and filter, I spoke to someone at the factory. Nice guy, spent plenty of time with me. At that time ( something like 10 years ago) Cincinnati was involved in some sort of arrangement with SETCO and their website included the SETCO name. These sorts of hookups are rarely made because the company owners are golfing buddies but because one or another company is in financial difficulties. I know no specifics in this instance, I am just speculating. And before I hung up I read off my machine's model number and asked, just for giggles, how much that machine cost new. The fellow waffled a bit, saying it depended on the electricals included, etc etc but finally he said a good roundabout figure was $13,000. I asked if anybody was spending that sort of money on pedestal grinders and he said only the government and very big corporations. So I guess that business dried up too. It's a shame, because those were some extremely nicely built machines.

And a further quick note about bearings, it's a nice feel-good thing to seek out and buy American made bearings but the truth is very few if any ball bearings are made in the US any more. So anything you find will have been sitting around for a while. This is sort of OK but there's a reason American bearing makers gave up the ghost back 30 or so years ago. They'd all been running the same old bearing making machinery for decades, with little if any updating or overhauling. This led to bearings of very poor quality and tolerance. At that time, the premium bearings came from Japan. It bugs me and I hate it, but there it is. I know that I myself have had some pretty poor luck with US made bearings of that era. Any more now, unless I am working on some high precision application, I look at how long I am likely to be around and wanting to use the stuff I am working on. Then I go out and buy the inexpensive Chinese VXB bearings that may well outlast me.

Final note about speed: I knew right away that a 3600 rpm machine was unlikely to make a satisfying polisher. But you can do two things. You have already rejected using a VFD, and I can't imagine why. That's the one-stop fix for all of your issues. And the other thing is, forget the 8" wheels. Get some 5" ones instead and you may be satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2017, 10:35:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Re: Polisher Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
I ordered some 8" polishing wheels for my grinder, installed them and found out that 3600rpm is entirely too fast, the cloth is as hard as stone at that speed.
J.B.
Curious, what type of wheels did you try? Hard muslin, soft muslin, stitched wheels, or loose wheels?

I have a vague recollection of gunsmith friend using stitched wheels on his polisher at first, but not liking them, so he switched to loose wheels. Looking at his wheels at rest it is hard to imagine they would polish anything, but at speed they are plenty stiff. No idea what speed his polisher is running, I'll try to remember to ask next time he is here.

S100
I honestly do not know whether this machine runs too fast to use 8" wheels or not, but I'm WAG'ing that the good folks at Cincinnati knew how to use it as a polisher if they made it. As for not instantly choosing a VFD, in my mind its like sticking spinner wheels on my truck, lots of flash with no benefit. It is a dead simple machine, all it needs is an on/off switch