Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Volt Readout to Ignitor

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1245 times

Old 03-02-2018, 11:11:12 AM
Registered

Default Volt Readout to Ignitor

Hey guys,

I was wondering what my volt readout should be at the ignitor. I have a 12v 7ah battery with a 12 volt coil.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 10:42:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Volt Readout to Ignitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEngine View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering what my volt readout should be at the ignitor. I have a 12v 7ah battery with a 12 volt coil.

Thanks
Open-circuit voltage across the ignitor will be the same as battery voltage. A low tension coil is just a single continuous winding; no magic happens inside. When the points snap open, an instantaneous voltage spike of a couple hundred volts occurs across the ignitor due to "inductive kick". Because of the short duration, the spike isn't measurable with a standard multimeter. It may, however, wreck the meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 09:21:15 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. That is exactly what I was looking for, the voltage spike. I just didn’t know if there was range I should be looking for. Great info.

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2018, 09:57:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

A back EMF (Electro Motive Force) spike from an inductive load may in theory be of infinite voltage. In practice usually a lot less than that. A reverse protection diode installed to conduct reverse voltage but not forward voltage to ground should protect your meter movement. For protection purposes a diode with a PIV rating of 1000V is customarily used. (1N4007, 1N5408 etc.)
Doc
Old 03-12-2018, 02:11:01 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

As stated earlier, your volt meter reacts too slow to actually read the voltage spike. If you have access to a voltage reading oscillator, It may be able to capture the spike on a screen. They used to use them for checking TV sets high voltage output.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31:21 PM
Registered

It's not so much the voltage but how much current you are carrying in the circuit when the contacts are closed.
You should see 10's of Amps.
The voltage across the gap when the contacts open in the engine is depends on the inductance of the coil you have, and how fast the current goes from full current to zero current.
The overall power consumed isn't much although the current might be 10's of Amps - but only for a few milliseconds.

The coil is usually just several hundred turns ( 14 or 12 guage wire) on an iron core - no secondary winding.
Please be careful when measuring the current because you are ( sort of) applying a short circuit on the battery during the measurement. The time taken to make the measurement is way, way longer that the time taken when the engine is running.

Miro