Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Home built engine trailer - licensing

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4600 times

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:55:56 PM
gts

Default Home built engine trailer - licensing

Just need some advice and this seems like a good place. Anyone here in kansas that can shed some light on this would be appreciated. I have a small trailer that I got for my engines, it needs to be tagged and titled in kansas (over 2000lbs) the KHP tells me that I cannot do that becuase I cannot show ownership (what?) I built it, but did not keep receipts. any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11:45 PM
Bob (ND)

Default Re: Home built engine trailer - licensing

Have you checked with your state MVD? Here in ND, there is a "homebuilt" trailer category. I have one titled and licensed that way, and it wasn't to tough at the MVD. Of course, your laws are probably altogether different.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53:27 PM
BobRR

In mi. all you need is a receipt. Now all MI. trailer plates are permenent with one time plate fee. BobRR
Old 10-22-2004, 12:21:13 AM
Brian Lynch

Here in The People's Republic Of New York you need 6 feet of paperwork and 3 months salary to put a home-built on the road. The smart ones here buy a trailer with papers & a serial number, then "rebuild" it to thier personal specs.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:32:33 AM
dave haning

In Iowa we can license a homebuilt by signing an affidavit swearing to its origin.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:35:08 AM
Paul Woodworth

Hi Brian Just come to ILL. and got a home built titel with the cash $ 65.00 and fill out the form. But you can't haul header engines on them. Ha Ha. Paul header man
Old 10-22-2004, 07:16:20 AM
Chris

Ohio makes it easy. All we need is a certified weight ticket from any feedmill scales and a free inspection from the state patrol for road worthiness. Then they charge by the pound for plates.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:54:36 AM
Neale Behm

Just a thought....I wonder if you could cross the border into the next state and license it there then bring the papers home and relicense it when the first tag expired or whenever it suits.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:29:08 AM
Benny Mckheean

I NC you go to the tag place when you finish the trailer and they issue you a NCX number that you stamp on the toung,no weight limit.My 30'camper tag is seven dollars and my utility trailer ten dollars. Benny in NC
Old 10-22-2004, 01:15:01 PM
J.B. Castagnos

Just licensed a homebuilt in Louisiana, required a physical inspection by a trooper for the number, Dmv wanted receipts for materials. If the axle came from a wrecking yard, get a receipt from them, if the hitch and lights came from a department store, use that.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:30:08 PM
Rob Skinner

This is from California, so the rules will be different. I had a heck of a time convincing the DMV gal that my trailer was home made when she needed a receipt. I told her it was made from metal. She wanted receipts for that. I told her it was scrap metal from behind my garage. She finally gave in and I signed a paper saying that the trailer was made from $100 worth of scrap steel. The bottom line is that they needed to place a value on the trailer so they could tax me.

Once that was settled, I dragged the trailer to the back side of the building where another worker came out, look a quick look, confirmed that it was indeed a trailer, and stuck a sticker on it.

If I was in your situation, I'd go buy some steel, or buy some steel for a friend who needs some, then show the receipt to the DMV.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:23:57 PM
listerdiesel

Interesting thread this one, we have actually found something that is easier over this side of the pond!

Under 3500kg (3.5 metric tonnes or just under 3.44 imperial tons) no testing is required. ALL trailers take the reg number (licence no) of the towing vehicle, no annual test but they have to be roadworthy and have brakes and lights that comply with relevant reg's.

Our biggest restriction is on towing vehicle capacities, most small commercial vehicles can only tow up to about 2 tons gross trailer weight.

There is a lot of home construction going on, and the makers of the parts have a wide range of fittings, suspensions etc., but no electric brakes...

Peter
Old 10-23-2004, 12:33:41 AM
Dick Webber

In Kentucky I know of no requirements. License is not required for non commercial 2 or 4 wheel trailers. Yet.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18:01 AM
Greg Downard

In Michigan Just get it weighed on a State Certified scale. At the DMV you sign a paper stating you built it from Materials on hand and pay no taxes. ($2000lbs = $200 for license) Or bolt the engines to the trailer and take it to the State Police post and get a perminate equipment sticker and no license is required.($15) You can apply for a title only if you wish. ($??)I have done this many times.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:23:55 PM
Joe Morris

Of all the responces you got I noticed that no one from your state responded. I cannon see my telling you what the laws and rules are in the state of Tennessee ( my state) would help. Surely someone in your state has had this problem. Why they won't help is a good question. I hope you will hear from someone who can help with some actual facts of the laws in your state that will help. Good luck. Joe Morris
Old 10-23-2004, 05:10:22 PM
J ack

I agree Joe, Most of above answers are not relevant to what is law in KS. Every state has its own plan. The best is to buy a factory made trailer with proper paerwork. Sounds like KS motor dept told you what you need in there jurisdiction, we can't change state laws on Harry's
Old 10-23-2004, 10:58:04 PM
Jeff Smith

I understand that this is not from KS, but my father ran into a similar problem in WV. He called the state police and politely asked them to come to his garage and explained to them why and they agreed to send an officer. The officer looked at his shop, his pile of scrap metal, his machines and welders and then the trailer. The officer filled out some paperwork and stamped a number into the trailer. My father signed the paperwork and then took the paperwork to the DMV with a photo of the trailer and a photo of that number stamped on it and he got his tag.

Maybe that could be an option for you, call you local state police and discuss it with them and see if they can help you.

Jeff Smith
Closed Thread