Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Installing staybolt

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3305 times

Old 02-01-2008, 03:14:57 PM
Registered

Default Installing staybolt

need help, I have removed one staybolt from fireox it is 12 inches long and 7/8" diameter. i have drilled a 1/2 hole in each end and sawed it in half and removed it. the ends are still in the threaded openings what is best way to get them out, heat, ez out, reverse drill bit ? i don't want to harm the crown sheet it is 5/16" thick. will i be able to stay with a 7/8" diameter stay bolt? are they threaded from inside the firebox or outside going in. let me know. or is it just better or easier to weld in a new one ? I would like to keep it oringal and not weld if i don"t have to. lets here it also if need to retap the threads do i need a tap at least 12 inches long? where do i get one? i live in wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 03:34:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Installing staybolt

If you can call me I will be glad to tell you what to do. 618 558 7956.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47:58 PM
Mike Dyson

The usual technique on this side of the pond is to drill the stay out with an undersize drill as close to the thread diameter as possible. This is best done with a mag drill to ensure accuracy. Once the hole is established it might be possible to twist the stay out with Stilsons but if that fails to work, careful use with a gas torch can be used to wash out the remainder of the stay.
Stays are tapped from the outside with a long stay tap. If the threads are good - this decision has to be taken by the boiler inspector - then it can be replaced on a like for like basis. If the threads are poor then the usual answer is to move up to the next size of thread. Again, the boiler inspector will advise on what is the best solution.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49:10 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

Mike,

I concur....great answer.

Lawrence
Old 02-01-2008, 05:59:14 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Installing staybolt

thanks for all the replys
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,638 Times in 7,479 Posts

Have helped do a few threaded stays and had good success. On a 26 hp Waterous we did a couple dozen water leg stays. As mentioned above, we drilled them out to just over the threads. Never was lucky enough to have them turn out! Used a small torch - CAREFULLY! - to get a bit off one side and them collapsed them out. No thread damage.
On a 28 Abell, we did a number of crown stays and up-sized them. They were a fair length. We were able to borrow a 3 piece tap. It consisted of an anchor-end threaded section, a reaming and threader-end section and a spanning section that threaded inside both end pieces - all 12 threads/inch so that they were all "timed" together. This avoided the risk of having a one piece tap break in a long reach.
I have noticed that some of the ol' boiler makers were not 100% particular when they installed stays. I have seen some where the holes were way out of line and they just threaded them and thumped them in just the same. But they held steam for several decades so I guess the ol' boys knew what they were doing!
Have fun, replacing stays is rewarding work!
G.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26:43 PM
Registered

Steamer86 call Charlie Hendrickson down in Edgerton. He and few other club members put new stays in the locomotive. Did not do the top but but did the sides. He will know who has the taps and the other parts you will need.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:00:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 495 Posts

steamer86,
I would highly recommend that you contact your boiler inspector before you do anything else. I know of one instance where the State of Wisconsin requires an R stamp for the replacement of a stay bolt even though no welding was performed. Your inspector may require it to be redone even though your repair is perfectly fine.

Jeff Lund
Lund Machine Works
507-276-6553
National Board R Stamp
ASME S stamp.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:25:23 PM
Registered

already notifyed the inspector- he has been here - got the go ahead to do myself as long as there is no welding. thanks