Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

More Witte QUestions

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1081 times

Old 09-16-2009, 06:50:54 PM
Registered

Default More Witte QUestions

I am restoreing a witte model b and have a few questions.

1. I need an exhaust valve so if anyone has on they are willing to part with please let me know. But can i take an automotive valve and bore out the guide hole hole for the steam to clear or do i need to put a bushing in it seeing as how it is a hardened valve?

2. Is the model b a duel fuel engine or if not why is there that extra bowl and needle vlave on the carb? So can someone explain the carb i think i know how it works (it seems simple) but i could be wrong that has happened from time to time.

3. I nneed a mag but dont know what kiand it takes other than that it is a wico judging from the zip lock bag of parts i have that ues to be a mag.

Any help with this engine would be very appricated it is my first hit and miss rebuild and only my third engine rebuild.

Thanks all Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 06:53:23 PM
Registered

Default Re: More Witte QUestions

One more thing what is the factory bore size of that motor i might have to resleeve.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07:57 PM
Registered

Chris,I would probably just order a valve from Hit and Miss if you don't feel comfortable making one.It is a kerosene engine.It uses a WICO EK mag and it is not a hit and miss but a throttle governed engine.Don't know the bore size since you didn't mention the hp. Chip
The Following User Says Thank You to Chip Watford For This Post:
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43:32 PM
Subscriber

A Witte Mod."B" can either have a Wico EK or take a battery & buzz coil. They came from the factory either way,so you have to figure out witch way yours is set up.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

Here's a clip of my 5 horse "B" with the "EK" magneto set up. It's been a long time since I restored it, but I believe I used valves from a 302 Ford engine and re-sized them. Then I reamed the guides for a good fit...It'll run even slower once it warms up some. I run it on camper fuel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzwrwFaDSA
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02:45 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,970 Times in 812 Posts

I used VW air cooled engine, (1600 cc), intake valves in my 2hp Witte B. The stem and the head are the right diameter, just had to cut it to the right lenth. I then drilled the stem and used a cotter pin to retain the spring. You might find a shop with some spare used valves.