Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton smoking

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 13255 times

Old 07-31-2010, 02:17:05 PM
Registered

Default 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton smoking

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a 17.5 HP Briggs and Stratton on a Troybuilt riding mower. It starts up just fine, but after a few seconds, the engine bogs down and I get a bunch of blue/gray smoke. After a few more seconds, the smoke stops and it starts running normally for another 10 seconds or so. Then is starts all over again. Any thoughts on what's wrong? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 03:05:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton smoking

two things
check your oil for fuel contamination these are known for float needle leaks which causes fuel to drain into the crank case and then an oily mess blows back through the breather back into the carb and into the engine
also known to blow head gasket into pushrod cavity also causing exsess blowby oil out the breather resulting in constant smoke haze to darkblue grey smoke
The Following User Says Thank You to The Engineer For This Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03:07 PM

Thanked 6,761 Times in 4,297 Posts
Exclamation Re: 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton smoking

These engines are also very suseptable to cylinder and head warpage due to overheating. The heads and cylinders must be kept clear of dust and debris. Do not over fill crankcase with oil.

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57:53 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

You may have a head gasket leaking compression into the push rod chamber. I have seen several of the Briggs OHV engines do this. When I pull them down, I draw file the head deck of the block and the head gasket surface of the head to be sure they are flat. When you do this the original cutter mark where the head and the block surface were cut appear. It looks to me as if they use a cutter with 3/8 inch inserts and the feed is so each insert was take it's full 3/8 of an inch. when you hit i t with the file the first few times the surface looks VERY rough. If you will draw file both surfaces to remove these marks, you will have a better sealing surface than what the engine left the factory with IMHO.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24:37 AM
Subscriber

maybe the airfilter are the choke being sucked closed then opening
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rye For This Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:46:38 PM
Registered

Thanks everybody - I changed the oil and ran it for 45 minutes, without any smoking and bogging down stopped. I'm assuming there was some fuel in the oil.

One more question: Do you think there is still a bigger problem, like the head gasket, or is this something that will build up over time and I just need to keep on top of the oil changes?

Thanks again!