Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

'54 Simplicity - how do I remove trans. shaft

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2411 times

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04:57 PM
Registered

Default '54 Simplicity - how do I remove trans. shaft

Hopefully someone out there speaks at Simplicity. My father has a 1954 vintage simplicity walk-behind two-wheel tractor that he uses extensively on his property. This thing works hard, and has never had any issue 'till now.

For some reason, the reverse gear (green line indicates) is spinning on the main shaft. I suspect that it's because the single, long key that locks all four gears to the shaft has sheared because of an unusally heavy load. Problem is, I cannot figure out how to get the shaft out to replace the key. According to the parts diagram, the shaft is supported at each end by a bearing and on the right side protrudes through into the drive case.

The main shaft protrudes through the right-hand side of the transmission housing into the drive case. The green line indicates the main shaft (to which the reverse gear is keyed). I've removed the snap-ring from the end of the shaft indicated by the green line, but the gear will not come off the end of the shaft; it feels like there's a shoulder there.

On the other (left) side of the transmission housing there's a support bracket which is part of the frame and prevents access to the the bearing from the outside. Not being able to remove the pinion gear on the right side prevents access from that side.

I had thought that I could start at the bottom, remove the wheel, hub, axel and then the final and intermediate gears which might give me enough access to remove the pinion gear from the main shaft and/or get the whole housing out of the frame, but I'm darned if I can figure out how to get the differential off of the shaft. I've looked at the parts diagram, but again, it's not much help. This is thing is a beautifully built piece of machinery utilizing a planetary gear system with the sun gear attached to the right-hand side wheel hub and then four planetary gears. It looks like it should pull off, but I'm hesitant to use a puller on a pressed steel housing.

So... in short, HOW THE HECK DO I GET THAT TRANSMISSION MAIN SHAFT OUTTA THERE??????
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 11:43:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: '54 Simplicity - how do I remove trans. shaft

Loosen the shaft collar on the other side. Clean the shaft and allow it to slide toward the differential. Remove the snap ring, drive the gear keyed to the shaft in, remove the keys, then slide it all apart.

Bob
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36:18 AM
Registered

Default Re: '54 Simplicity - how do I remove trans. shaft

Thanks Bob, were it that simple I'd be happy. Unfortunately, the other end is covered by the bracket which mounts the transmission to the body. I can't remove the transmission housing until I can get the main shaft out, and I can't get the main shaft out without removing the transmission housing.

If you look at the areas bounded by the yellow lines, you'll see the ends of two 3/16x 2 1/2 inch steel plates which rise up from the main frame members and support the transmission housing. On the right side (picture right) end of the main shaft that I need to access is supported by a cone bearing, and covered by that piece of plate. on the opposite side, the shaft goes through the housing and into the final-drive housing, ending in the gear indicated by the green line in the third photo of the first post. This gear does not want to come off the shaft, even though I've removed the snap-ring. When pulled, it comes up hard, and feels like the end of the shaft is shouldered.