Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Wisconsin T-Head Restoration Log

this thread has 238 replies and has been viewed 74254 times

Old 05-04-2012, 09:51:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,593 Times in 430 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin T-Head Restoration Log

I have not had a lot of time in the shop and what time I have had I have been working to get the rest of the patterns and core boxes for the top water fittings made.

However I did get a chance to clean-up the valve shroud castings Peter cast for me.

Now that I have a complete set I will need to figure out how to fabricate the spring clips that hold then in place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 04:02:10 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

sure is coming along fast cant wait to see a video of it up and running
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
sure is coming along fast cant wait to see a video of it up and running
Thanks Ray but I still have a long, long way to go! After the castings and machining is the expensive stuff - turning the crank and having the shells re-babitted $$$$$$$

Yesterday I finished the pattern for part No. A20A - rear fitting for the upper water manifold. Now its onto A32A - the upper water manifold extension - this will complete the pattern work for the upper manifold.

Only seven patterns left to go and I will be done with the pattern work! Then I will have plenty of castings to keep me busy!

The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 05:50:24 PM
Registered

I know you folks ar probably sick of the posts about patterns but I get quite a sense of accomplishment everytime I finish one.

Each pattern is not only one less item to fabricate but it also means that life will be a lot easier for others who choose to rebuild one of these engines. With only eight of these engines exisitence in various states of restoration or 'decrapitation' (my daughters word) it's not like folks are beating down the door!

Anyway - here is the pattern for part No. A32A - Upper Water Manifold Extension. This is a 20 degree elbow that bolts to the front fitting (A18A) and provides for attactment of the 2" dia. upper radiator hose. Like the original, a 1/2" dia. hole will be bored through the tab. Not sure why the tab is there other than maybe allowing a wire to secure the hose from hitting the fan??

This is the last of the four patterns for this assembly. Now its onto part No. A33A (Lower Water Manifold Extension)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53:45 PM
Registered

Nah all of your posts are just amazing and all your patterns are top notch keep em coming
The Following User Says Thank You to ehpower2 For This Post:
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48:42 PM
Registered

Well its been awhile.....I have not spent much time working on the "beast" I tend to work on this project in manic phases. Last one was focused on patterns and castings.

However, with summer here as usual I tend to slack-off a bit. Plus I am a bit occupied trying to find a new carreer.

For the past 13 years I have worked as a consultant to the Heavy Construction industry. Needless to say the shovel ready projects were not shovel ready.

From late 2009 thru early 2011 we had our most profitable period ever. Than May of 2011we wrapped-up our last project with absolutly nothing on the horizon. To illustrate how tough the market is we only bid on one project in 2011! We knew we had to win that bid so we cut our price by 20%. The low bidder undercut that by another 30%!

So... at the end of December we closed the doors. Fortunatly during the good times and being firmly opposed to debt (with the exception of education and a home) we were able to bank a years worth of income. I cannot stress enough how that has been a blessing!

Anyway, this past year the engine project has served as a good stress relief. I cannot even begin to tell you how hard it is to say goodbye to a job and business you have loved and spent so much time nurturing. But I guess its time for another chapter though I have yet to find out what that will be!

Anyway, Over the past few weeks I have revisted some of the little projects that had loose ends to wrap-up. Most of it was assembly and painting of various components. The oil pump, front pulley, oil strainer, crankcase breathers, water pump and a host of other items got a final cleaning, assembly and painting and are now trucked-away for final assembly day.

Earlier I had dressed-up the front pully on the lathe. Man that was tough stuff! Iam not sure if it had work hardened or was due to the casting process but it was very, very, tough cast iron!

So I know your probably wondering how I am coping with stress if Iam not working on the engine. Well... that would be thanks to my other obsession .....sea kayaking! This photo was taken during a stop on Little Thumbcap Island.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02:05 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,199 Posts

Thanks for the update. I for one don't ever get sick of seeing your patterns and cores. I think that stuff is fascinating.
I'm glad you were able to prepare financially for this "storm" of life, and hope you soon find out what is next for you.
The sea kayaking looks fun, but a river sounds better to me, as the sea makes me pretty uneasy. It used to downright terrify me, but reading Thor Heyerdahl's "Kon Tiki" and also some an article in Nat. Geographic about some kid who sailboated around the world, both really intrigued me to the point I kinda feel the lure of the sea somewhat.
That Kayak looks like a real piece of work in itself!
Kevin
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16:49 PM
Registered

I think that I have seen that kayak some place before.
Nice boat.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootsch View Post
I think that I have seen that kayak some place before.
Nice boat.
You may have! It's provided us many, many pleasurable outings up and down the Maine coast. Its based on a triple Baidarka from Kodiak island.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28:40 PM
Subscriber

Did you build it? I have always wanted to build one since I saw one in the museum on kodiak island. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29:16 PM
Registered

I've got that book. Quite a read.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Clamp View Post
Did you build it? I have always wanted to build one since I saw one in the museum on kodiak island. Keep up the good work.
Yup. We launched it in 2009. It was featured in an article I wrote for SeaKayker Magazine in June of 2011

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2011/Aug11/Harper.htm

Its based on the drawings in David Zimmerly's book "Qayaq, Kayaks of Alaska and Siberia" However, I shortened it and narrowed it up. It's a wonderful paddling kayak.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09:27 PM
Subscriber

What a great story!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18:11 AM
Registered

So... today I had a chance to finish the pattern and core boxes for part A33A (Lower Water Manifold - Water Pump Extension) Like the other water fittings this too will be cast in bronze.

This pattern was interesting - the pipe is rotated 13 degrees from the center line of the flange. In order to have the flange pull cleanly after being rammed-up it has to be oriented with the part line horizontal through the centerline of the flange.To ensure this I had to construct a "follower". The follower also eliminates the need to "cope" or dig down to find the parting line of the pipe.

The follower holds the pattern in the correct orientation while the drag is rammed-up. Once the drag is flipped over the follower is removed and the other half of the pattern is attached. Then the cope is rammed-up thus filling the void left by the follower.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 02:33:24 PM
Email NOT Working

Terry,
I really enjoy all your pattern-making and core boxes, but today I am rather distracted by your kayak story.
I followed the link you provided, and I enjoyed it immensely. The construction of kayaks and roaming the Maine coast is as interesting to me as anything engine related that I've read here on the Smokstak. My wifes Grandmother was from Rumford, but died right after we were married, and I never got to go there. It looks like a little piece of Heaven to me.
It finally occurred to me that your daughter Abby's condition is the same as that of Temple Grandin who is an amazing lady. She has a PhD in Animal Science, and is a professor at Colorado State University. I'm sure that you must have heard of her, but I only recently did when my wife brought home a DVD/movie about her; and I'm certain that there are many here who would find her story fascinating.
I applaud you and Crystal for working so hard to find a family activity you could include Abby in. I know it must have been discouraging at times.
Frankly as interesting as your engine restoration is, I would have a hard time looking at it very long with thoughts of your kayak and the Maine coast in the back of my mind! Thanks for sharing with us.
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59:56 PM
Registered

Thank you Kevin for your comments! Since I wrote that article Abby has been doing great in school and in life. Last week she tried out the front seat for a 5 mile paddle around Richmond Island.

Today I finished the pattern and core box for part No. A31A (Lower Water Manifold Extension)
This was an easy one after all the tees and elbows! This piece bolts to the outlet of the water pump and connects to the Lower Water Manifold Front Section via a big gland nut

The tube portion will need to be turned to 1.5" dia. to form a slip fit inside the other fitting. With this in mind I made the tube section of the pattern oversize to allow plenty of meat to turn away. I also made it considerably longer than the finished piece so it can be chucked in the lathe for turning and facing then parted off to finish length.

This is the last of the "easy" pieces. Next I have to tackle the front, center and lower water manifold fittings. These will present the greatest challenge by far! But....once complete with the exception of a couple of misc. parts such as 020X (oil filler cover), K2K (Wire Tube Bracket), J4J (Oil Height Indicator Body) 031X (Valve Lifter Housing) I already have a set of lifter housings but I want to have a pattern for others to use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30:40 PM
Email NOT Working

That picture really made me smile... On a lot of levels!
The cores were OK too
Kevin
Old 08-04-2012, 02:21:55 PM
Registered

So... today I started gluing-up the pattern for part No. A28A (Lower Water Manifold Center Section) This piece will be bolted to the center cylinder block containing cylinders 3 & 4. It will connect to the front and rear water manifold fittings with pieces of 1-1/4" dia. brass pipe silver soldered to the fittings and coupled together with radiator hose.

Here is a photo of the original piece which is the only water fitting to survive the last 79 years.

The first task was to fabricate the follower. In this case its being used as a jig to fabricate one half of the pattern. It will also be used to fabricate the male masters for the core boxes. Once this half is glued-up it will serve as a template for the other half.

As before, the follower allows the flange to be oriented properly so the pattern can be pulled from the sand cleanly. As with the patterns its important to add draft to the vertical sides of the follower. I use 3 degrees of draft.

I used an artist adhesive to attach a paper pattern to the follower. The packing tape keeps the glue from sticking.

When lamintating pieces for turning I glue a piece of craft paper along the mating surface of the partline. After turning its easy to seperate the two halves.

The elbow area will be sanded to shape after both haves of the pattern are glued-up and doweled.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12:20 PM
Registered

Yesterday I made another trip to the Odd Duck Foundry in Orrington, ME. We got the chance to put my Upper Water Manifold patterns to the ultimate test.

Here are the cores all baked and ready to be set into place

After applying a coat of graphite the cores are placed in the drag. Once the vents and gates are cut in the cope the flask will be ready.

Now the fun part!

After saying the Foundrymans prayer we open up the flask, knock-out the castings and take a look.....sucess!! four bronze fittings ready for cleaning, machining and polishing.

No I can check-off parts No. A18A, A19A, A20A and A32A from the "need to have" list!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 04:33:38 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts

those look great.