Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Ethanol in the gas we buy...

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 5267 times

Old 03-24-2011, 07:41:50 PM
Registered

Default Ethanol in the gas we buy...

I called the Sonoco gas station where I just bought 5 gallons of gas 18 dollars and change. i was given a bottle od Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment .$ 21.35 a bottle that is supposed to treat gas with Ethanol in it and make it ok to use in gas engines. Anyone ever use this stuff . I already put in some Stabil .Can or should I put this stuff in the 5 gal I just bought with the stabil ?

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts
Default Re: Ethanol in the gas we buy

Thats a pretty steep price for that stuff! What size is it? The bottles we sell for $13.00 treat 128 gallons of fuel. Ive not seen anything else that works better than this stuff with the problems we have with todays fuel. One thing Ive noticed is if I use way too much in a small engine I get some light blue smoke out the exhaust and the smell of kerosene so that has to be one ingredient Im sure. My VW TDI sure loves the stuff and also Marvel Mystery oil I know that.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
Thats a pretty steep price for that stuff! What size is it? The bottles we sell for $13.00 treat 128 gallons of fuel. Ive not seen anything else that works better than this stuff with the problems we have with todays fuel. One thing Ive noticed is if I use way too much in a small engine I get some light blue smoke out the exhaust and the smell of kerosene so that has to be one ingredient Im sure. My VW TDI sure loves the stuff and also Marvel Mystery oil I know that.
Btw yes you can mix it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33:41 PM
Registered

Motomower its a 16 oz bottle and treats 128 gallons of gas it says on bottle initial dosage 1 oz for 8 gallons and refills 1 oz for 16 gallons I don't know what the heck this means .

Ronny
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

Ronny,

From my experience putting fuel stabilizer in ethanol gas is a waste of time and money as it doesn't stop the hygroscopic action of the ethanol. I've never tried the Star Tron additive as I haven't found it in my part of the country so can't comment on it. I do remember seeing a post however, by someone who indicated that Star Stron was ineffective in improving ethanol gas.

My only recommendation is to avoid buying ethanol gas if at all possible. Your carburetors will love you for it!

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 934 Posts

I think there are a lotta squeaky snakes running around somewhere, someone stole all their oil!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ethanol in the gas we buy...

Are you sure it isn't just the ethanol hardening up their scales??

Bill
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26:11 AM
Subscriber

For what its worth last summer I took a small plastic clear cup that comes on liquid laundry soap bottles and filled it with gas in the middle of humid August weather in the shop and it clouded in roughly a little under an hour. Star-Tron added to it has been the only thing Ive seen clear up clouded fuel so I know it works. Nay sayers need to try this test first before knocking it. ISO Heet, Stabil, etc did NOTHING to the fuel not even Seafoam. My .02 cents. All I know is we cant keep enough of it on the parts counter.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
My only recommendation is to avoid buying ethanol gas if at all possible. Your carburetors will love you for it!

Bill
Bill thats not an option here in Conn. We take what the eco freaks force down our throats.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40:39 AM
Subscriber

Motormowers,

I don't know what the circumstances were when someone posted a negative comment on the Star Tron. If I come across some in my travels will pick up a sample to try in the event (God forbid) I'm unable to buy ethanol free gas for my air cooled engines.

Bill
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48:57 AM
trowel

same here bill, no reg. gas, only the ''green'' crap the eco-freaks forced onto us
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31:13 AM
Registered

I got 16 oz bottle for free other day says 1 oz to 8 gal then refill 1 oz to 16 gal not sure what the heck they mean if you put in 16 gal of gas seems you would need 2 oz . I put in 1 oz to 5 gal .Motomower says it works. Not shure that because gas in cup cleared up this is true test will have to see if he has no further issues with operation of his engines . Keep us posted MOTO.In the mean time what the heck it was free and went for 21 bucks and change on price tag.

Ronny
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30:26 AM
Subscriber

They want you to double the dose the first time is what they are saying.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55:50 AM
Registered

The stuff WORKS I found it about 6 -8 weeks ago and run a at home test and it works just like they say.now any thing that sets and is not run weekly gets a dose.
It even took gas that was bad and made it so it would burn.
Chech out this tread
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...light=startron
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08:36 AM
Registered

Why double dose a 5 gal can of gas makes no sense.

Ronny
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40:18 AM
Subscriber

They want you to double the dose the first time you use it to CLEAN the fuel system out. Then use the smaller dosage there after. Ive seen it clear up surging issues on engines after the first use, thats why the heavier dose the first time provided you continue use.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41:19 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

I use Sta-Bil Marine Formula, blue in color, Ethanol formula. I have not had any problems with any varnishing. I also only use 89 Octane fuel. I fired my old 80A Mac trimmer last week. It had the fuel left from the last time I trimmed last summer. I closed the choke and pulled the rope about 10 time before she fire. This trimmer is so old it DOES NOT have a primer bulb. Oil used for the fuel/oil mix is Weed-Eater/Poulan brand with fuel stabliser from Walley-World.

Kent
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42:45 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
They want you to double the dose the first time you use it to CLEAN the fuel system out. Then use the smaller dosage there after. Ive seen it clear up surging issues on engines after the first use, thats why the heavier dose the first time provided you continue use.
I know its a bit too much but as an example I use a cap full for both my straight and mix cans and they are only 2 gallon cans but it cant hurt.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:11:31 PM
Registered

I went to the profile pic I think you were asking about oil pump Moto nice old bench grinder in back!! Hey what do you think about my painting ?'s on the tiller look at the pics of it before you give be your 1 cents worth dollar not worth much .

Ronny
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14:57 PM
Registered

if you take the time to do your homework you will find that starX?*n is 95% naptha. it is a better fuel stabilizer as it does not add more alcohol. the farmers need to put the same shit they are producing in there deers and then see how they run.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49:23 AM
Registered

We have 92 premium here and that's what I buy for all my small engine stuff ( motorcycles, lawn mowers and such) and have been using stabil over winter. The only problem I have had was with my ice auger- 2 years old and never used finally went to use it this year and had problems. I was starting it once a month but didn't help, service man suggested I scarred the cylinder by burning bad gas. I think the carb diaphragms are bad. Anyway will try that other stuff if I can find it. If there is a up side to using the ethanol in our cars we don't need to buy gas anti-freeze. I talked to a gentleman on the phone last summer who told me he was mixing racing fuel (104 oct,) in his gas and has had no problems with carburetors. I don't have the nerve to try that. Good luck to everybody keep up the good fight.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K D Redd View Post
I use Sta-Bil Marine Formula, blue in color, Ethanol formula. I have not had any problems with any varnishing. I also only use 89 Octane fuel.
This stuff works very well and, as stated, is specifically designed for Ethanol mix fuel. I use it in my boat, my mowers and a few of my display "runners" and have never had a problem with fuel going bad. I always do a "double dosage" just to be sure.

Always use the lowest grade octane, because it moves faster than premium. When you purchase premium, you don't know how long it's been in the ground (especially with todays prices)..
The Following User Says Thank You to Briggs Man For This Post: