Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Briggs 92988 time to overhaul

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 343 times

Old 07-11-2019, 02:21:36 AM
Registered

Default Briggs 92988 time to overhaul

Hello everyone,

I’m guessing it’s time to rebuild my old B&S lawnmower engine. It was built in 1970 on a Hahn aluminum mower deck. I was mowing grass yesterday and it used almost all of its oil during a 2 hour work out.

The engine is a model 92988 vertical shaft 3.5 hp. I was looking for parts, specifically a gasket kit and rings and I’m not having much luck. Can anyone point me to a parts supplier and recommend any typical work they’d do while it was apart. I was thinking of knurling guides, lapping valves, boring/honing cylinder (depending on condition of cylinder), rings and gaskets with a carb kit, points and condenser to finish off.

I know I can replace this engine for less then rebuilding but I’ve had this since I was a kid and would like to keep her going.

Thanks,

Bob
Massillon Ohio
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 09:45:49 AM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs 92988 time to overhaul

The 2 "old timers" use to be Doc's and Paul's, either should be able to get anything you need. Doc usually just wants to sell new mowers, but Pauls should be OK. I use to sell Paul's his Snapper equipment years ago.
If you do a rebuild, first check the crankshaft journal for undersize and out of round, otherwise it might just hammer like crazy. Check if a short block is still available, good way to go. As you know, whatever way you go will be more expensive and not as good as just replacing the engine with one with a float carb. Those carbs on that engine were terrible!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46:35 AM
Registered

Please check Jim's Small Engine Parts in the 'Sponsors' section of this site. The gasket set number is 590777 and the ring standard set is 298982. If he can't help then perhaps try www.partstree.com
Old 07-11-2019, 02:11:58 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

You might have a lok at the valve guides too. They tend to wear on those aluminum engines, and even if you dont get blue smoke from oil burning, the oil van get past a worn intake guide. Look to the cylinder bore too. If there is a ridge at the top, new rings will catch on it and break. The old ringa have worn to the cylinder, so that is not a problem at present. If compression is still good, you might try just replacing the oil ring. Not ideal, but the comppression rings are already seated to the cylinder,and if the oil is getting past the oil ring, it should help. As others have noted, bu the time you get done rebuilding yours, you can have a reliable replacement, probably cheaper than rebuilding your engine. Sentiment does have its value though. Been there, done that!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:56:46 PM
Registered

It’s so nice to have resources like this to feel out people that have experience with a particular engine. Thank you for the feedback!

It was also cool to see someone who’s practically a neighbor and know’s about Doc’s and Paul’s......they’re just down the street.

One other thing I’m looking for is a parts diagram with part numbers. Can anyone provide a link to a .pdf of a parts list?

Thanks again!!!

Bob
Massillon Oh
Old 07-11-2019, 06:14:23 PM
Registered

An easy site for a lot of different companies is Partstree

www.partstree.com

put in 092988 for a model number

there is also a site on briggsandstratton.com
Old 07-12-2019, 08:34:55 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopicki View Post
One other thing I’m looking for is a parts diagram with part numbers. Can anyone provide a link to a .pdf of a parts list?

Bob
Massillon Oh

Check your e-mail.