Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Starter air compressor help

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1858 times

Old 07-05-2008, 11:51:36 PM
Registered

Default Starter air compressor help

well i need an air compressor now. I am looking to spend between 100 and 350 bucks on one. i need a big tank like 20 to 40 lbs. needs to be single phase running on 115 volts and needs to be moveable because i will need to move it some where else in the shop to store it. I want to run air ratchets spray guns impact drivers and a sandblasting hood that i will be using very often i i am starting another engine. I mainly restore briggs clition and laursen and other small engines like that becasue of how small my shop is ( its a old garage single car) What would you guys recommend i want something reliable and that will last for a really long time
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24:00 AM
Registered

Default Re: Starter air compressor help

Your not going to run a sandblast hood on a small compressor. I have a 40 gallon sears and I can barely run a cutoff wheel to cut bolts and then have to wait a bit for the compressor to catch up again after cutting half way through a 1/2" bolt. You'll need a 60 or 80 gallon compressor to run one of those small 2ftx2ft blast cabinets and I bet it will still be slow going.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34:42 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,441 Times in 934 Posts
Default Re: Starter air compressor help

even the most puny air compresser will run everything you have listed, but the sandblasting. 120 volt, you're looking at 45 seconds to maybe a minute of blast, and then a couple of minutes for the compressor to build pressure and cool down a bit-and that's for the smallest setups. Had a 5hp 3 phase compressor at the shop I worked at, it was about perfectly matched for 100% duty cycle on a regular beadblast cabinent-in other words, it was a bit too small. If your limits can't go beyond 120 volts, try to get the biggest tank and most CFM you can find with a decent warrunty...but beware of any that have CFM's far higher then the rest. Make sure the CFM is at a decent pressure...they make more CFM at lower pressure, but that's pointless. And be ready to blast, and wait, and blast, and wait. Make sure the wall outlet can handle it, probably best to have it's on dedicated 20 amp outlet fed with decent gauge wires....

Robert