Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Motor start capacitor?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 4021 times

Old 10-17-2008, 04:38:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,141 Times in 427 Posts
Default Motor start capacitor?

I just rebuilt my friends oil-less air compressor pump. The "rings" were completely shot so there wasn't much load on start-up anymore. When I got it back together it couldn't start with more than 20psi in the tank.

With some help from Google I got familiar with the parts of the system. I tested the cap with the ohmeter method and it passed. So then I pulled the rear housing and cleaned and inspected the switch mechanism finding no problems. One last check after it was back together gave the same results.

I understand the ohmeter method of checking the cap isn't the best. Is it possible the cap is still bad yet passes the ohmeter test?

I really hate the thought of getting a motor for this thing. I would have scrapped it if I had known the motor had issues too.

Oh, and the relief valve in the control is working correctly.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16:27 PM
Registered

Arrow Re: Motor start capacitor ?????

you might try a unloader switch valve which would let the motor come to speed before pumping air
Old 10-17-2008, 07:22:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Motor start capacitor ?????

The ohm meter method is mostly good for finding capacitors that are very very bad.There is such a thing as a capacitor tester but they are not common. If I were pretty shure everything else was ok then i would try another capacitor. If I dont have one on hand I have been known to borrow a known good one from some other motor for a test. W W Graingers has them.
Dave
Old 10-17-2008, 07:52:18 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Motor start capacitor ?????

Substitution is the best way to check for a capacitor that has lost capacity. I worked on a compressor for a friend. It would start with the tank empty but would stall before any pressure showed on the gauge. Substituted another run capacitor and it pumped up and turned off ~130 PSI. It will start and recharge as necessary so I concluded that the run capacitor (30MF, 330VAC) is at fault. Now the problem is to find one in the needed form factor to fit the housing. All the replacements seem to be too fat, or are not cylindrical.
In your case substitute for the start cap and see what happens. Good luck.
Jack Hottel
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40:02 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,016 Times in 634 Posts
Default Re: Motor start capacitor?

I test them with a meter that will read MF. +/-10% is considered good.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,141 Times in 427 Posts

Thanks for the replys! I'm going to go ahead and order one from McMaster-Carr. It's under $12 and I have a few other things to get from them anyway.

I didn't see or smell anything to indicate the windings had ever been too hot and the switch contacts for the cap looked fine. So I was pretty sure it was the cap. Just wasn't sure about the possible ways it could fail.

It does have the unloader valve, I just called it the wrong thing.

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:42:48 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

Capacitors dry out over time and don't conduct power in the same way as when new.

Replacing is the easiest cure, get the same working voltage and capacitance as the original, make sure you don't get a polarised electrolytic, it should be non-polarised.

Peter