Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

1st time tearing down a Briggs

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1036 times

Old 04-10-2004, 12:01:41 AM
Jim H.

Default 1st time tearing down a Briggs

Will I need any special tools? If so, what kind and where do I get 'em? Never took one apart, so don't want to bust anything doing it! Thanks for all help!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2004, 12:31:31 AM
George Andreasen

Default Re: 1st time tearing down a Briggs

There are four very helpful tools when working on a Briggs....

1.) A good shop manual 2.) Briggs valve spring compressor 3.) Briggs flywheel holder 4.) Special wrench for removing flywheel nut

Most of these tools can be purchased from some of Harry's sponsers.

The manual will tell you the applications for the tools along with little things like which engines have a left hand thread flywheel nut. Study the information thoroughly as some parts are easily damaged by carelessness. For example, when putting the head bolts back in be very carefull as they may be different lengths! A long bolt will thread right into a cooling fin and break it before you realize the mistake. Go slow and use common sense. Start with something simple such as a valve job on an engine that has no compression. You'll be amazed how you can bring one of these little work horses back to life.! Have fun.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:59:26 AM
Mike in NC

What model are you going to be working on?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:40:22 PM
Brent Wegher

The short answer is no, you don't NEED any special Briggs numbered tools. You will learn what you need as you go along. Ordinary shop tools ARE needed. You will learn quick if you get a repair manual with pictures and specs. A valve spring compressor will be needed, then a piston ring compressor. Feeler gages for points, setting coil clearance. I use a torque wrench on most of the bolts, and have a meter to check coils/continuity.

I suggest that a dedicated work bench area with good lighting is essential, makes the work much easier. Rags/cleaning materials, etc. Go to the public library and check out a small engine repair book. Read about safety precautions. Take notes as you learn. Study governor operation. Have fun.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:31:48 PM
Neale Behm

No need to get a ring compressor for small engines. A "Screw" type radiator hose clamp works great and is available at any hardware or auto parts store.

Thanks Harry
Old 04-10-2004, 06:26:56 PM
Charlie Pfeffer

Another tool I've found very useful is my digital camera. It certainly helps put things back together especially if you walk away from it for a week or so. Also when you visit engine shows or friends with similar engines a picture can be worth a thousand words as they say. Charlie in cool Western New York.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:02:02 PM
Jim H.

Default Its a Model 287707

Type 0225.01 Code 95110148(or is 9511014B?)

or at least that's what the engine tag says.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks. -Jim
Old 04-12-2004, 07:05:43 PM
Chris Witt

Default Re: Its a Model 287707

Well I am no expert. I am in a similar situation. I have never restored an engine (I recently bought a Galloway 2 1/4) I just picked up a copy of "How To Restore Classic Farm Tractors" by Tharran E. Gaines. The information would be well suited as a guideline for restoring stationary engines. Talks about engine rebuild, magnetos, disasembly ideas etc.