Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Info wanted on antique lathe

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5120 times

Old 03-22-2008, 04:33:45 PM
Registered

Photo Info wanted on antique lathe

OK Guys this old girl followed me home today, not sure what I got here , Tag on head says Climax Machine Philia., Pa. and the tag on the leg says McCoy- Brandt Machinery Co. Pittsburgh,Pa.
It has a 8" 4 jaw chuck and about 36" between centers. Runs nice and Quiet and everthing seems to work, came with boxes of tools,many tool holders,centers and alot of other stuff. All for the low price of $250.00 and to boot it was only 10 miles from my house. As soon as I make some room in the shop I'll have to really try it out. Thanks in advance,Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1178.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	31284   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1176.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	31285  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25:12 PM
malromes

Default Re: Info wanted on antique lathe

I bought the same lathe at an auction about 6 years ago for $5.00 cuz nobody would bid on it. Never was able to sell it and had no use for a lathe myself. I finally scrapped it after 4 years of moving it around the shop. Seems like a good lathe but most everyone wouldn't give it a chance when I tried to sell it cuz it was "too old"...

-Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 03-22-2008, 10:04:36 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

These old machines have become collectible. I would think one purchased for $5 could get place into a home for $50 or $100. There is a forum or two out there. Did you offer it for sale here? Or on your local Craigs list.

Bruces machine looks pretty good to me. Nice home shop size and old enough to be as interesting too look at as seeing 25 hit miss engines stacked up in a garage. Original looking old paint. Up and running condition. Someday it could be converted to overhead belt drive. There are lots of mills and drill presses from that same time period - if you decide to expand your shop.

Malromes has a good point, no one ever has enough space for all the nice-to-have old iron out there. Ive taken a few things home and regretted it later too.

I dont recognize the lathe, sorry. I do like it.

Without old machine tools, there would be no old engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42:30 PM
malromes

I tried to sell it on Craigslist for months, then listed it once on EBay for $50.00 with no reserve. Never got any takers. I never listed it here. I didn't frequent Smokstak/Engineads at the time.

A buddy took most of the removable parts for his older Sears lathe and the rest went to the crusher. It was a shame but my 17X20 garage was overflowing at the time and something had to give.

I'm sure I'll find something similar this auction season for a similar price. I'll throw it in the classifieds here and see what happens... I tore down my garage and put up a 24 X 40 shop so I have more room now too.

-Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12:26 AM
Registered

Peter you are right without these old machines there would be no old iron, funny thing is both my son and I work in a machine shop and have use of machines there both cnc and manual,but its just the idea to me that if I make a part for some of my engines myself on an antique lathe it has a new meaning of " I restored this" , I guess its all in what you want. I just built a new garage 2 years ago with a shop attached , already I'm planning to add on this summer but for now I'm going to just deal with it being tight on space , but this old lathe sure looks right at home with all the other old iron.
malromes sorry to hear that you had to junk an old piece of history but you "gotta do what you gotta do" Thanks guys , Bruce
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18:15 AM
Registered

Nice looking lathe. An older machine in good condition is just as accurate as a new one. More accurate than some from across the ocean. The motor needs a little sorting but you should get a lot of use out of it. The older machines usually have no value to a professional shop. They will sometimes give away or sell at scrap price a nice old machine when it is replaced with a CNC machine.

keithw
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithW For This Post:
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37:51 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Info wanted on antique lathe

Just wanted to let you all know , I cleaned this old girl up,adjusted everything, fixed the motor and electrical problems and now its making chips just like a new one, now I just need a new engine that needs some parts or maybe I'll just start building a engine from scratch LOL who knows !!!! Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1186.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	31865  
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24:31 AM
Registered

Outstanding! Have you leveled it yet? Level it end to end then lay the level across the ways and level both ends. You'd be surprised how much the bed will twist. There could be adjustable feet on the legs or you can shim under the feet. It gets really frustrating turning a long shaft with a twisted lathe. It can end up fat on both ends and skinny in the middle, or fat on one end and skinny on the other. Take a long axle shaft ( I use a swamp cooler shaft), mount it between centers and mount a dial indicator to the tool holder. Run it from end to end of the shaft on the side and on the top.

keithw
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50:06 AM
Registered

Keith, I got it all leveled as I made a new home for it in the shop, since I have a wood floor in the shop i'm planning to bolt it to the floor.it must have sit most of its life on a fairly level floor because it didn't seem to be racked at all. Thanks again for all the helpful advice , I've found out quite abit about it on a site called www.practicalmachinist.com Bruce.