Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Small crane in junkyard

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 5405 times

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56:45 PM
Registered

Default Small crane in junkyard

This is at the local scrap yard. If some one wants it i could help get it. Overall it is in good shape. the motor I think is stuck. It is a flat head 4 cant remember. The scrap yard guy thinks it would be around $1500. it would lift around #8000? If any one wants it let me know.
Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0994.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	34242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0995.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	34243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0988.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	34244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0990.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	34245  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 03:23:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,243 Times in 969 Posts
Default Re: Small crane in junkyard

I don't know the first thing about cranes; that said:
Silent Hoist & Crane goes back to WWI times, beginning in the seaport HD equipment line...they apparently gradually put out a full line of cranes.
There's a nice thread on tow411.com, a tow-truck site (3-23-08, "Where Are All Those Silent Cranes?", with a number of very complimentary posts re their durability and reliability as HD towtruck cranes mounted on various Mack, Oshkosh and Sterling carriers..
Silent used an array of engines--Buda, CCptn, Cont, Herc etc) so without a model # it's hard to tell what the 4cyl is ( I have very little on them).
Per the tow411 posts, it sounds like something desireable; depending on how much time/effort you want to put in, posting with a little more desc on sites like tow411, hcea and stripmine might well turn up a close interested party. If it looks like it was truck mounted, as a HD wrecker, there's ATHS and ATCA (I don't know if any of the HD truck mounted units had separate engine for the crane, or if all ran off PTO rigs).
If there's a time problem, I can give you the emails of a couple guys restoring cranes, who could probably advise of any crane collectors clubs, but I hesitate to give out email adds's without permission.