Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

A RARE find of a lifetime Schleicher Schumm inverted Otto

this thread has 74 replies and has been viewed 14235 times

Old 11-05-2016, 07:45:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,356 Posts
Default Re: A RARE find of a lifetime Schleicher Schumm inverted Otto

Saw it run for the first time today. A little fussy figuring the propane set up but once started & run a little .... very easy to restart and it ran pretty nicely. Congrats Scott & Mike. Hell of a story!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2016, 07:45:24 PM
Registered-II

A few more things about the house were it was found, was built in 1824, a nice sand stone, but very neglected home due to raccoons and pigeons and many antiques that are going to hell. The basement is full of asbestos. The engine was easy to get out as it was right beside the steps to the outside and there was a tree right outside to winch from. Some boards on the steps and 30 minutes later it's on the trailer! We will post pics of the house later. This is truly a dream come true and shows that they are still out there. You don't need a lot of money to find them and this is a new way to find them. "The YOU TUBE OTTO" thanks Scott Leathe
Old 11-05-2016, 07:49:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,334 Times in 426 Posts

Wow, awesome story Mike!!! What an incredible engine too. Goes to show there are still rare engines waiting to be found!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:33:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,469 Posts

WOW!!, Nice Engine and story!! This is what makes the stak worth the subscription !! Stories like this and the history behind the engines , hope more on what it ran, and, what it done can be found some day, NICE all the way!!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:48:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,132 Times in 394 Posts

Amazing! Absolutely amazing
Old 11-05-2016, 11:24:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,990 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thumbs up Re: A RARE find of a lifetime Schleicher Schumm inverted Otto

Sad that people have no qualms about trespassing on other peoples property, and then being bold enough to post their crimes on YouTube, but glad your friend saw it and that you were able to navigate through the web of intrigue and track down the actual owners of the rare engine and buy it legally.

Amazing Story on an Amazing Engine.

Last edited by OTTO-Sawyer; 11-06-2016 at 03:15:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 01:08:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,517 Times in 1,649 Posts

My hat is off to you Scott and Mike for seeking out the owner and purchasing the engine. Some would have simply tried to make contact with the person who posted on Youtube, found out where the engine was located then paid a visit to the home drove off with it. Spending the time and effort to hunt down the actual owner says something about your honesty and integrity. There's only one sad thing about the whole situation.....that I didn't see that Youtube video first..........Congratulations again!! I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:19:43 AM
Subscriber

Well said Tommy. What a story and what a find. Can't wait to see it.

Dick
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46:57 AM
Registered-I

Thumbs up Re: A RARE find of a lifetime Schleicher Schumm inverted Otto

The rarest of the rare right here in our neck of New England. What a find and a treasure.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,949 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
My hat is off to you Scott and Mike for seeking out the owner and purchasing the engine. Some would have simply tried to make contact with the person who posted on Youtube, found out where the engine was located then paid a visit to the home drove off with it. Spending the time and effort to hunt down the actual owner says something about your honesty and integrity. There's only one sad thing about the whole situation.....that I didn't see that Youtube video first..........Congratulations again!! I can't wait to see it in person.
Tommy I agree that I cannot believe how brazen people are to post a crime like that. The guy is still doing it too. The reason you or none of the other engine collectors saw it is because Scott is VERY smart and contacted the guy that made the video and told him that we know whose property that is and if he didn’t take the video down and stay away from the place that we would inform the police! Problem solved, we no longer had worked worry about guys like you moving in on our adventure.
:shrug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike O For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46:53 AM
Registered-II

Thanks Tommy for the kind words It never crossed my mind to contact the You tuber that posted the video and get it that way. Honesty is the way, because after many days of research I contacted the property owner and he was very appreciative and I think that was the reason he sold me the engine. One thing that I can say about the you tuber I don't think he steals stuff, but he does not realize that by putting it out there for the world to see, other people can and will steal and that's not good. After I contacted the owner I did contact the you tuber and told him that he has to take down the video and he did. So he is not all bad. Tommy the video was up 22 days before I saw it. So hows it go, "you snooze you lose."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 21avery For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 08:49:08 AM
Subscriber

What a great story and find - Thanks for sharing the pictures!
I bet there was a few sleepless nights involved before you both got to go get it!

They are most definitely still out there, just tucked up in awkward get to places.
I'm first in line for some x-ray goggles that will let me see into basements!

Thanks again for sharing and letting all of us feel some of the rush.

John
Old 11-06-2016, 08:52:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,147 Times in 626 Posts

I think I seen this on YouTube also. But I either clicked on next video or something , and lost it, and could not find it again. I thought it was some thing, but that's how it is, things revolve there. Maybe because it was deleted when I was looking at it.
Glad you guys saved it. If it was just 6 mIles from the George Washington Bridge,then I also have driven by it, as I have family in Manhattan.
It amazes me how much widerness there is in Jersey. I always figures it one big city, but it is wild uninhabitable in many areas.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:20:59 AM
Registered-I

Great detective work! Another one saved. I hope you drag it to some shows.

Joe
Old 11-06-2016, 09:26:39 AM
Subscriber

Awesome engine Mike !! It just goes to show that a little detective work can go a long way in this hobby. Thanks for sharing. I love reading about how some of these engines are discovered after setting for so many years. I attend a swap meet in Plainfield Ct a couple of times a year. Every time I drove to the show I would see an old cement mixer sitting in a field off Rt-14 in Ct. Well, about 5 yrs ago I got the dates mixed up and when I got there I found that there was no swap meet on that day. So having the free time, on the way home, I stopped to check out the cement mixer. My buddy said I was going to get myself shot lol. I drove up to a little farm house and asked the elderly woman who answered the door about it and she told me I would have to talk to her husband. I spoke with him and to keep this post short, he ended up giving me 3 engines, 2 belt driven water pumps, and a nice vintage air compressor, also belt driven. I offered to pay him for the stuff but he refused. He said I was the first person to approach him honestly on the cement mixer. He was ill and wanted to see the engines go to someone who appreciated them. So,,it is TRUE. There are still engines out there waiting to be rescued and adopted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 09:48:18 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

Congratulations! It's a beautiful engine and an incredible find. I really like that sub-base. I do hope you'll be able to put it back to hot tube ignition. I hope you get it dialed in also as it would appear that it should hit and miss by the governor moving the arm away from the exhaust valve allowing the arm to slide past when it misses. So it would roll against compression every revolution when it misses like our 13 1/2hp with the ported exhaust does. I could be wrong.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50:41 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,949 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWithers View Post
Congratulations! It's a beautiful engine and an incredible find. I really like that sub-base. I do hope you'll be able to put it back to hot tube ignition. I hope you get it dialed in also as it would appear that it should hit and miss by the governor moving the arm away from the exhaust valve allowing the arm to slide past when it misses. So it would roll against compression every revolution when it misses like our 13 1/2hp with the ported exhaust does. I could be wrong.
We have been in contact with Keith Billet on the hot tube. He had to make patterns and make the one on his engine and said he will help us with ours as well so YES we will put it back to the original hot tube BUT, the spark plug upgrade is really a nicely adapted upgrade, It was NOT done simply by a mechanic or black smith it is so good and perfectly made that we believe that it was done back at the factory or at least a really good dealer.

As far as the governor goes honestly we do not fully understand it. Obviously it is a pendulum set up and at slow or operating speed it engages on the exhaust valve and works the valve. we "THINK" it is more of a runaway set up where if the engine takes off to fast it will fly out and no longer operate the exhaust valve, but it would appear that it would really have to be a very high speed. Perhaps Wayne or someone else much more familiar with this set up could chime in and explain it better. Until then we are happy throttling back the gas and running it just as it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike O For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 11:06:24 AM
Registered-II

JSwithers I knew there would be some talk about how that is working . me and Mike think the pendulum gov. is just for a run away situation and is gov. from the gas . if you swing the latch out assembly, out . exhaust valve will not open for regular running and I see no way to adjust it . I have only seen one org drawing of this engine and it appearers just like this one . The pendulum gov. arm looks like y can change the weight on it . all has org paint . there is one area that I don't understand its buy the exh. spring there is a piece that is angled and one piece that has a notch were the latch out latches. we have only run this engine for less then 24 hours and still learning new things about it .
The Following User Says Thank You to 21avery For This Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 12:56:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,094 Posts

Mike and Scott, A big CONGRATULATIONS.....!!!

You've made an awesome discovery and acquisition!

This is engine hunting at it's best.

Gil
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,097 Times in 1,794 Posts

It is hard to believe that they built so many of them since you hardly ever see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18880121otto.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	267425   Click image for larger version

Name:	18900830otto.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	267426  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post: