Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

This Wisconsin just keeps on tickin

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3306 times

Old 10-23-2012, 04:07:06 PM
Registered

Default This Wisconsin just keeps on tickin

Prior to joining the Forum I did not realize there was a Wisconsin following. This leaf blower was gotten from my brother, given to me about twelve years ago. He acquired it in about 1982 and prior to that was in commercial service.

She is kind of heavy and not that pretty looking now but boy does it get the job done even with her occasional smoking. She had a hard life being yanked off the back of the truck and bounced off the ground affecting the camber of the axle by the commercial guys so long ago.

I only use it in leaf season for about six hours per year with nothing more than an occasional oil change. The bowl beneath the tank will drip a little gas and I put in just enough to do the job and this is the way it gets put away end of season. Every Fall a splash of gas is put in, wrap the string around the pulley and it fires on the first pull.

After a little research from the links on the Forum she is a 1961, wow. Didn't even know they had leaf blowers back then. My brother seems to think it was originally called a Low Blo machine. Knowing her history now I am compelled to treat it with the respect it deserves and will pry open and freshen up for another thirty years of service when time permits.

Anyone know the history of the Company?

JD

The Following User Says Thank You to DriverR For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: This Wisconsin just keeps on tickin

From the back, the blower looks like it could be a Giant Vac. I would also assume that the engine was retrofitted, as a BKN is way too heavy and expensive for that application.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38:07 PM
Registered

Every tag and decal is long gone except for the engine which is a BKND Spec 158012. The front of the blower does have that GiantVac look that I remember from the mid seventys.

If it was a repower everthing lined up perfect for the crankshaft to fit through the fan housing with no shimming of motor base or cutting for clearance and the same size crank for the fan to be mounted.

I just love stuff I get for free that has history.

JD

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I needed a parts B&S 8hp engine a few years ago and wound up with a GiantVac. Getting the fan off that shaft was one of the most difficult pulling jobs I have ever done fighting me every inch of the way.

JD
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51:45 PM
Registered

After talking with my brother he does now think it was a GiantVac, the Low Blo type having a T style handlebar. It looks more like it was a repower after some searching on the Web.

JD
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Driver, there are a lot of people who are in love with their Wisconsins. I have a 1947 Gibson tractor with a model AEH Wisconsin of the same vintage. It's a firt-time-pull starter as well. If the mag snaps and it gets fuel, it'll run.
A word of caution, don't run 'em over factory specs as they like to toss the governor weights into the oil sump if you do. The original engine on my tractor must have had this happen. The replacement that is on it, now, runs as smooth as can be. Rated at 6 hp, the AEH, 3-speed Borg Warner, and Gibson rear end makes my little 1000-pound tractor a real animal! Low end torque makes a Wisconsin more powerful than the numbers make you think.
As far as I'm concerned, nobody makes an engine, only Wisconsin.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25:28 PM
Registered

After warm up and when brought up to speed I would estimate in the neighborhood of 3200 RPM, will check it with the mechanical tach. This is the only piece of equipment the ear muffs are on. When wound up it sounds like the large vacuum trucks that suck out silt from storm drains and sewers, only slightly quieter.

After some liposuction to insure internals are within spec, pigeon toe corrected, matching set of shoes and a facelift I could bring her to parties again.

Fresh green on the engine, red on the tank and housing with white on wheels, handlebars and fan cover would be easy enough. It will be brought into the basement this winter and time will tell if it is gotten to.

JD
Old 10-27-2012, 02:53:12 PM
Subscriber

I love the arrow to show the starting direction! I have a 1978 Ditch Witch C99 with an AENLD that runs Great! I am currently rebuilding the engine on a 1968 Ditch Witch M429 with an AENLD. I have used both on my irrigation project this year. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17:41 PM
Registered

To the Wisconsin guys. I'll take it for granted the green color of engine was original and will need a paint code or source, high temp or regular? The local auto paint store can mix anything and give you a rattle can of it.

And what are parts availability, would like to have the Q2B gasket set on hand prior to starting. The power equipment retailer I deal with employ over ten guys and have been in business fifty or so years, never a problem getting parts for my older B&S engines. If not on the fiche they pull out the big book. I was there earlier in the week and should have asked but forgot.

It sucks a bit of oil so will mic up the piston and bore with close attention for possible guide wear. This will be my first Wisconsin tear down, any internal parts of the engine known to wear and/or should absolutely be replaced while in there.

Thanks

JD

JD
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21:01 AM
Subscriber

Most small engine places can order you a gasket set. You can also get a decent aftermarket one from Rock Creek Consulting. Wisconsin's "standard" color was a medium grey with a hint of blue in it, but most were painted to match the equipment they were mounted on. I have the original spec information on one of mine that was attached to a Winco generator. It states to ship the engine with primer only, and decals not attached, so that Winco could paint the engine to match the generator. Yours may well have been green originally, so going with that would be "right".
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35:09 PM
Registered

The only push blower manufacture I have seen use Wisconsin engines was Atwater industries with their "Lo-Blo", Ther 7-8hp model was designed from the factory to fit the 7hp BKND, 8hp Kohler k181, and 8hp briggs. The blower housing had all the mount holes pre-drilled, then support brackets welded per application.

Had a lo-blo with a BKND used for parts, and currently one with a k181 both easy to push across the yard, but the wisconsin was heavier on inclines. Previous owner over-bored the cylinder past .030 so I used the blower wheel from it to replace the cracked one on my k181 blower... Atwater also improved the frame to a 2 piece in the 70's so it was also donated to the k181 blower that had 4 piece wiggly frame.

Your Giant Vac would have had a briggs engine originally, and in the late 80's-90's they also used Kawasakis from what I recall. The bend in the axel was probally from landscapers rushing over driveway approns, in/outta trailers.

Keep the oil changed, allow the engine to warm up before use and it will outlast the competition.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:54:00 AM
Registered

Atwater strong lo blo: Looking for help re-installing the fan and sleeve on the shaft. Any info would be appreciated. Sleeve is still attached to fan so do I just insert key and drive onto to shaft or drive onto shaft then insert key? Not that mechanically minded so specifics are good.
Also looking for service manual for leaf blower!