Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Finally... I'm an OAF! FM118 in the truck!

this thread has 76 replies and has been viewed 13965 times

Old 05-18-2012, 07:48:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,751 Posts
Default Re: Finally... I'm an OAF! FM118 in the truck!

For your application I'd try those car plug adaptors. They don't seem to last very long 24/7 but that another thing.

CDI ignitions? Fairbanks Morris, Star Fire, Blue Spark, AEI, Frank Murphy and I'm sure several others as well. I use Arrow Engine's version. Sold well over 1000 at this time.

They are particular to the oil field engines that are used on as far as I know.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33:31 PM
eMail NOT Working

Take a look at this IMPCO mixer- it's connected to a pretty simple manifold (gaseous only)... this is how I'd like to run mine... is that manifold something that I could find, or would I wind up having to fabricate one? (i certainly can...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCb8-UuvsE
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24:22 AM
Subscriber

The carbs can be had for under $100.00, the manifold is expensive. If you can fab one that would save some cash.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:26:26 PM
eMail NOT Working

Talking Re: Finally... I'm an OAF! FM118 in the truck!

Yep, I'm gonna fab one.

I've been running all over on job assignments... got a few days home, so I called my local NAPA... and John said he didn't have any, but the Des Moines store had a box... for $88. (hmmm)... He said he'd sell me two out'a the box, and that was within reason, so I ordered in the box... and then sent a message to some buddies that have the International gas/diesel powerplants (because they apparently use this same plug).

John was amazed at the size of the box... said he'd never seen a spark plug that size, had to take one out and take a look.

Yep, that's big.

So I've got a plug, and I've got spark at the magneto, so for grins, I may just shoot some spray-lube in the intake and see if it'll pop and fart a few turns on it's own tonight.

Then I'll hafta make an intake plan...

And mebbie... just for fun... I'll take a chainsaw and bore out the spark plug hole to accept a W89-D...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09:38 PM
eMail NOT Working

Now isn't it just bizzare...

So I just bought some W-89D's... less than a WEEK ago... and a co-worker (who's restoring a '24 Model TT truck...) calls me, says he was at a flea market, and bought a box of T parts... and in it, was a pair of brand-new W-89D's. Asked me if I had anything that used that huge plug...

Sheesh...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51:34 PM
eMail NOT Working

Okay, so I tore a tendon out of my left arm, had surgery this morning... so i'm one-handed for a while.

I checked the dimensions on the intake of the 118... looks like the intake port bore is around 1-1/2",

Dug through a box... found an IMPCO CA-50... 1.5" intake, 3/4" throat. Making a manifold adapter is not difficult for me.

Question is... should i go to a larger throat?

Im sure this mixer is suitable for the horsepower class of the 118, but will i be reaching critical airflow velocity on the 3/4" throat with the 118's bore-and-stroke?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11:19 AM
Subscriber

IMO the throat is fine, if anything too big. These engines don't need full throttle, they can blow up on 1/2. My experience 6 oz of gas pressure is perfect. Easy way to do that is stick the gas hose down into a bucket of water 10 1/2" adjust the regulator so it stops bubbling when you get to 10 1/2, this equals 6 oz.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:32:08 AM
eMail NOT Working

Okay, so it's been a good-long while... but amazingly, in the last three weeks, I've made some progress on a few engine projects, and THIS one is now ALIVE!

It sat for quite a while, so I had to pull the head back off, pull out and clean the valve stems, grind the exhaust seat, and install the new head gasket, clean up the intake valve spring stuff a bit... and once I got that far, I gave it a 'test flip' and shot some of my usual penetrating oil spray into the intake throat, and it hopped right into action!

Next step is to get it elevated on skids high enough to get a Model 100 gaseous carb hooked up to it, and get some coolant poured in, lift off the top and clean out the oil sump, check the oil slinger, and put that back together, then fire it up for an extended run on it's own...

And by the way, I couldn't have made all this happen if it wasn't for (Reed Engine) Eddie- Thanks Eddie! If any of you are passing through NE Oklahoma, stop by and visit him, drop a few bucks on the parts you need, and marvel at a genuine shop!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 10-17-2015, 11:25:14 PM
Subscriber

You are kind. I'm also good for a cup of coffee generally too, buying parts or not.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:55:40 AM
eMail NOT Working

Hee hee!

So, I took your advice and pulled the crankcase cover to check the little oil trough in the middle, and there WAS oil in it, but there was also wonderful depositions of very thick goo and even thicker gak, mixed with slimy crud, oozing yicky slime, and various weights of what used to be some sort of dinousaur.

SOME of it drained out... but most of it needed help... and I'm sure there's probably some better technique for cleaning it, but all I could think of, was to flood the bottom half-inch-or-so with mineral spirits, let it soak for a few days, then stir it up, let it soak, stir, and repeat a few more times 'till it was all basically thin-enough to flow out the drain... which got "MOST" of it anyway.

I found a few pieces of stuff (like.. a piece of fiber from astro-turf??) and mebbie a stem from a plant...

And several pieces of flat metal. Closer inspection revealed that they were flat pieces of steel, and that the 'oil dipper' on the connecting rod had been broken some time...

SO on this OIL DIPPER, it look like a flat piece of metal, with a little bit of 'shape' to it to work better.

So the question now is, should I MAKE a replacement for the dipper, or should I get the OM deal?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05:27 AM
Subscriber

The little dipper part number is 5415-118. I'm sure someone close to you would have them.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:57:41 AM
eMail NOT Working

Yep, according to UPS, USPS, VISA and The Internet, Hominy, Oklahoma is pretty close. ;-)

I'm gonna look it over closely and see if there's anything else I need...

Uh... a set of cylinder head studs would be a good idea... that one that broke off has been temporarily replaced with a cheezy piece of all-thread....

Should I pull off the evap radiator for a cleaning and inspection? any suggestions re. TLC for the fan? Since I have the crank cover off, how about a gasket?

Oh, and the clutch IS a lever-type, but the lever assembly is missing, and the clutch is seized. I'll give that a little work-over and see if I can get it free.

BTW, rod bearing is nice and snug... actually, the insert looks surprisingly new.

What would cause the dipper to become broken off in several pieces? no water in there, so it didn't freeze... ?
Old 10-18-2015, 02:19:58 PM
Subscriber

Should I pull off the evap radiator for a cleaning and inspection? any suggestions re. TLC for the fan? Since I have the crank cover off, how about a gasket?

If the radiator isn't leaking at running temp leave it alone. If the old gasket is intact it's good enough.

What would cause the dipper to become broken off in several pieces?

Just one of them things. At least they are cheap.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:53:22 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanks Eddie!

Okay, so the dipper DID NOT break off. After finally finding the bottom of the sump, what I THOUGHT were fragments of the dipper, appear to be pieces of a long-since-gone rod bearing insert... they're a reddish-yellow metal (brass or bronze I'm guessing), with a lip along the edge, and after comparing them to the outside view of the rod bearing (which is surprisingly clean and fresh looking), it's clear that they weren't from the dipper, and the dipper's shape was basically unscathed, it just 'felt' wierd when I was feeling around in there... so false alarm there.

The sump on these gals is not just flat, it's got a 'tray' that the dipper dips into, then throws oil forwards towards the piston... and somehow, it also flings it up onto the gears... I don't see how, but I have faith that it works, as long as there's flingable oil in there (not slime speaking in toungues). To get to the bottom, I wound up pouring in a quart of mineral spirits, and letting it sit for a day, stirring occasionally, and finally it cleared out fairly well. I wiped out what I could, then poured in some inexpensive 10-30. Figure if I run it a while with this stuff, then add some thinner, then drain it, the rest of the stuff will find it's way out.

So I got it back together, was slightly challenged for a few minutes trying to re-time the magneto gear... turns out the oil filler had a pipe nipple that extended far-nuff into the case to obstruct the gear... once I backed that out, it slipped out, and slipped back in right. Had the mag rotated 180 degrees on the first try (firing BDC), so out again, flip the coupler, back again, and good to go. Added pipe fittings and a 4' piece of EMT, turned on the gas, and wound it up...

then stood there giggling...

Cooling system and governor now! Stay tuned!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32:18 PM
Subscriber

Ain't it a good feeling when an engine runs for the first time. On your mag drive, there is a hole that needs to be on top when you install the mag.
My gosh my memory is failing me. I think the hole is on top.
Help me out here Eddie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allan Wright For This Post:
Old 10-21-2015, 04:40:11 PM
eMail NOT Working

Yes, Allan- on the top of the magneto drive coupling, there's a hole that must align with the breather so that crankcase pressures can flow properly. I was initially vexed by re-timing, 'cause the pipe nipple from oil filler was long enough to prevent the gear from slipping all the way out... but I figured it out.

Been having problems getting it to keep coolant out of the combustion chamber... durned plug won't fire when it's all wet. Keeps blowing the head gasket on right and left side, so got the head off again, and patiently working it to flat with files and a flat wood block with sandpaper. Slow goin', but it was good'nuff for my granddady. I don't really feel up to tearing it down to a block, then lifting it into the mill... I'll just turn the music up a bit and keep exercising my arm. Wax on... wax off...
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28:10 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default About time for an update...

It's been a long time since my last update, but here's the latest:

After experiencing two blowouts of copper head gaskets, I finally got the deck and head smooth enough to seal tight with a new graphite one from Ed... and it's now running wonderfully, holding coolant, and a little RTV on the gasket of the magneto means no more oil leak from the top.

I put together a simple skid from square timbers, so that it's easy to pick up and move around with my forklift, but it isn't perfectly happy sitting still... I'm impressed at how lively it is even without having done any work on the cylinder or piston... so when it comes time to pull a load, it's gonna need something more substantial to sit on to keep it from walking it's way back to Wicheta Falls.

There's only two things left- fix the clutch, and paint it.

The clutch, though, has me somewhat stymied, and I was hoping that running the engine would shake it free. After visiting Ed and seeing them both functioning assembled, and one apart at his shop, I've got a fair understanding of how it's SUPPOSED to function. I've got the threaded collar backed off such that there's no pressure on the plates, but the three-groove sheave seems to be very positively adhered to the clutch plates.

I've been soaking both sides in penetrant to try to break it loose, and tried some careful prying and tapping to get it to come loose, but no luck so far.

Anybody have any good tricks for unsticking the clutch??
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post: