Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag upright Magneto

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1130 times

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Maytag upright Magneto

I have a maytag upright with a magneto for many months now and I just can't get it to run but for maybe a minute at the most. Does anyone have any suggestions? The piston was turned down to fit the cylinder from what I remember and it has a new cast connecting rod. The carb seems right along with the deflooder valve. The air spring has to be out for it to do anything which I don't really understand.
Justin
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2016, 11:36:50 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,471 Times in 4,180 Posts
Default Re: Maytag upright Magneto

Why is the engine stopping? Fouling the plug? These engines really do not like to idle for long periods - they were meant to work. You may have it running too rich if you have black carbon on the plug. Is the crank case drain (deflooder) open? If not, the crankcase will load up with fuel and oil, drowning the engine. Are you losing spark after the engine warms up? If so, bad condenser or a coil may be at fault Will the engine run longer if loaded a bit? If so, back to the does not like to idle part. Fuel/oil ratio correct - with fresh high test gas? 16:1 (1 cup SAE 30 oil to 1 gallon of gas, not more than 30 days oil. Non-Detergent or TCW-3 OIL only - NO synthetic lubricants! Is the crank main bearing in good shape? The crank should not move much when pulled up or side to side. If there is play, 2 problems: 1) fuel/air mix dilution - if air gets sucked into the crankcase, the fuel/air ratio will be affected, and the engine will run erraticly. 2) a 'loose' crank wil affect timing. Spark will not be consistant, as the points will open at different times and spark could be affected as duration changes with crank drift in the bearing. Points movable pioint arm and spring in good shape? If the pivot is worn, or spring rusted or fractured, the points wont work well. If I remember correctyly, the early mags on the upright shared parts with the one used on the early 82 type horizontal. The 92 was a different animal.

Lots to think about!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 05-05-2016, 10:00:51 PM
Registered-III

Hi Andrew. Some good points to think about but i have gone through most of what you have suggested. Im going to keep taking it to shows and hope someone can figure it out.
Justin
Old 05-06-2016, 05:07:39 PM
Registered-III

Andrew always shares such incredible knowledge

How are you starting yours? I just posted asking if anyone knows the socket size on the flywheel nut. Do you use a power drill to turn it over? I think its a 1", Just need to get to the store and buy one. I have a newly acquired Upright Magento i'm hoping to try getting started soon.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:16:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,138 Posts

Justin, the piston will go on the connecting rod 2 ways, correct and backwards. The small cup/lip on top of the piston goes to the intake side. You might can have the piston correct but the jug turned wrong. Easy to check.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33:43 AM
Subscriber

Justin, hope your doing well. Why did the piston need to be turned down? Maybe the deflector on top of the piston is off if it's a re-cast or maybe the re-cast rod length is off? Some things maybe to look for.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2016, 06:40:38 PM
Registered-III

A couple things to look at, first the piston was replaced or reworked? There is a window on the intake side of the piston that works as a valve. Is that lining up with the window in the cylinder at the top of the stroke? Another thing is that those uprights require good compression to draw that fuel up to the cylinder. How is your compression?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Wyatt For This Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:15:21 PM
Registered-II

if the spring on the air valve isnt the right spring it wont run that spring is calibrated for strength if its to stiff it wont run to week who knows but it has to be the right spring you saying it wont do anything with the spring in thats what makes me think its the wrong spring check with maytag mark here on the stak he may have the correct spring or know where you can get one