Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Two Cylinder 92 Upright Rare Looking Engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2756 times

Old 05-18-2016, 09:45:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Two Cylinder 92 Upright Rare Looking Engine

That sure is a neat looking engine! Definitely looks like an engineer one-off type engine. Anyone know the actual history of the engine and if others exist? I've seen one online in the past, unsure if it was this exact one and if it is a one-off engine or not. The carburetor looks a lot like a Briggs carb (I now see it is a Tillotson ML1B so a lot like a Briggs setup), opposite of what the Maytag carbs typically look like. Cool regardless.

From the Ad:
Asking $3500
Here`s something you don`t see every day, a vertical 2 cylinder Model 92 Maytag engine. The guy I bought it from bought it from the estate of a former Maytag engineer who was supposed to have designed this engine and had it built at Maytag. The cylinders fit the upper portion of the crankcase nicely, and the flywheel and ignition are identical to the 92 Maytag, except this one is a 2 cylinder, so I have no reason to not think it was built at Maytag, but I don`t know what the application might have been, possibly for their Maytag Racer toy car possibly. It has excellent compression and a point cleaning will bring the spark back, and it has no breaks, cracks, or repairs to it. It has a Tillotson ML1B carburetor with a modified automotive oil breather cover for an air filter. A super rare engine for the very serious Maytag collector!

http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/...product=128998

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d5PTaGd1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	255697   Click image for larger version

Name:	lrc7FZJ2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	255698  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16:49 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 2 Cylinder 92 Upright for Sale-Rare Looking Engine

Spare parts might be a problem. Hello Maytag, i have a 2 cylinder upright gas engine and i need a set of rings for a std.bore and a gasket set. CLICK. Hello, hello.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:42:18 PM
Subscriber

That`s my engine, and I had it on here last summer after I bought it, looking to see if anyone knew any more about it than I was told. I bought it at the Brimfield, MA Antique Shows last July, they have something like 22 shows going on along the main road in town during the same week, you can usually find anything there. The dealer I bought this from was from out west, he had known the guy who had it, and the guy would never sell it, he was a retired engineer from Maytag, and he had this engine built there. Unfortunately the dealer didn`t know about any application for this engine, he heard about the guy passing on, and he either bought it at the estate auction or directly from his descendants, I forget which.
When I saw it in his booth, I just had to have it, and as a result I paid a lot for it also. I need some funds to finish a couple projects here, so I put a couple things up for sale. If nothing else, it`s an interesting piece to see!
The Following User Says Thank You to RustySteele For This Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31:00 AM
Registered-I

That is a one of a kind and thanks for sharing the pics of it.