Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92 first startup woes - fuel gusher

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1294 times

Old 06-07-2016, 03:48:44 PM
Registered

Default Maytag 92 first startup woes - fuel gusher

New spark plug and wire, points cleaned, got spark and compression. Everything cleaned and lubed. Carb cleaned. I haven't removed the check valve, but I can see it, and it rattles around freely when shaken.
Coleman white gas camp fuel. 16:1 2-cycle TC-w3 multipurpose blend. points are opening and closing. Governor set to 0.08, spring tension uncertain. Needle valve adjusted to closed at full right 3 o'clock. Tried kicking it over at 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

Not a hint of ignition or combustion.

When kicking it over, fuel is shooting like a geiser out of the vent hole in the fuel tank plug. 2 feet in the air.

I don't think it's supposed to do that.

I can deal with it emotionally that it's not starting, but the fuel gusher has me pretty chuffed.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14:37 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag 92 first startup woes - fuel gusher

Air vane stuck in carb?
The Following User Says Thank You to JWitt For This Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52:59 AM
Registered-II

if i remember correctly there is a deflooder valve in the bottom of the crankcase if its stuck it might build pressure in the fuel tank and make it squirt out i dont remember a hole in the fuel plug its just a 1/2 inch pipe plug the deflooder valve opens into the gas tank directly and could build pressure in the tank is your spark plug wet ?
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote62ny For This Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,342 Times in 4,096 Posts

If I remember correctly, no vent in cap! The crankcase deflooder is built into the mixer assembly. Tank should be filled to within 1/4" from the top of the tank. Things to check. 1) Is the check actually holding? The check may be free but dirt or crud on the seat may be holding it open. 2) good spark? plug gap .025"? Plug wet with gas? If so, the new crap E-10 shorts under compression - plug will fire out of the cylinder, but not under compression. When kicking the engine over - plug out, do you see vapor or smell gas? If so, engine may be flooded. Turn off fuel, ground the spark plug, and kick over at least 10 times. Retry start with gas closed.

For initial start - set at start position Full left - 90 degrees from vertical. kick over rapidly. if engine does not start after 2 tries, turn fuel off (full right to stop, and try starting at least 5 kicks. On the stop position, the needle should stop about 1/4" above the fuel tank top, gently seated If no fire, check for fuel on plug. For best running, the needle needs to be roughly straight up, within 1/8th of a turn either way. each engine is different.

Colemans is not an engine fuel! It does not vaporize well, especially in cool conditions. Try starting with gasoline, and see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 02:49:37 PM
Subscriber

I have 3 92s, each with a different base. One of them has a vent hole in the fuel tank plug. (Nothing blows out the vent when cranked.)
Old 06-13-2016, 01:36:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
If I remember correctly, no vent in cap! The crankcase deflooder is built into the mixer assembly. Tank should be filled to within 1/4" from the top of the tank. Things to check. 1) Is the check actually holding? The check may be free but dirt or crud on the seat may be holding it open. 2) good spark? plug gap .025"? Plug wet with gas? If so, the new crap E-10 shorts under compression - plug will fire out of the cylinder, but not under compression. When kicking the engine over - plug out, do you see vapor or smell gas? If so, engine may be flooded. Turn off fuel, ground the spark plug, and kick over at least 10 times. Retry start with gas closed.

For initial start - set at start position Full left - 90 degrees from vertical. kick over rapidly. if engine does not start after 2 tries, turn fuel off (full right to stop, and try starting at least 5 kicks. On the stop position, the needle should stop about 1/4" above the fuel tank top, gently seated If no fire, check for fuel on plug. For best running, the needle needs to be roughly straight up, within 1/8th of a turn either way. each engine is different.

Colemans is not an engine fuel! It does not vaporize well, especially in cool conditions. Try starting with gasoline, and see what happens.
Thanks for the info, Andrew.

From advice from elsewhere the first thing discovered is that the spring in the poppet valve was not there. I have one on the way. I've ordered a new tank plug as well, without a vent hole.

If these things don't get it running I'll work on the check valve next.

I have the plug at .035 going off a search I did in this forum. I'll play with the gap until something works. At .035 it does spark. It's above my pay grade to know weak from strong spark.

I'm using white gas as recommended by Shopdog Sam, but I'll be trying gas as well.

I'll keep your notes nearby when I finally can try to start it. I discovered during all this that the carb gasket was disintegrating, so that's on order too.

Thanks again.