Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

maytag opposing twin... no spark... help

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1103 times

Old 07-27-2016, 10:15:23 PM
Registered

Default maytag opposing twin... no spark... help

im not sure the model but i have a black opposing cylinder maytag engine and it has no spark so i need to get the fly wheel off. its not like the model 92 with a window for points. it has a pully against the flywheel and i took the nut off but the wheel wont come off. im missing something please help.

---------- Post added at 10:15:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05:39 PM ----------

after a small amount of research i believe the coil to be bad but i still need to get the wheel off...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 04:25:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: maytag opposing twin ..no spark.. help

There are many posts on the this site for flywheel removal.I believe it is a model 92 twin cylinder that you have.Coil failure is common.

---------- Post added at 04:25:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19:53 AM ----------

I stand corrected. It is a model72.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15:31 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,085 Posts

The flywheel is tapered, back the nut off until flush with the crank, put a block and pry bar so you can pry against the flywheel, hit the crank with a hammer, it should pop off. Did you try grounding one wire and checking for spark on the other, the same spark has to go through both plugs, if weak it won't jump at all.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15:53 AM
Registered-III

You have start with first cleaning the points real good. Make them look like new. Then pull a piece of clean paper threw them and gap them to .020. Yes the coils are an issue with these engines but I usually start with the points and possibly a condenser. Sometimes you get lucky. And again you wind up getting a $150.00 coil. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 08:15:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59:42 AM ----------

Use regular point file or finger nail file the o0ne with the abrasive on both sides. Then use a fine emery cloth to finish with. Use the paper to clean any fine particles or oily film off the points
Old 07-28-2016, 11:13:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,050 Times in 443 Posts

Use caution when hitting the end of the crank. The crankshafts on these are very brittle and will snap easily if hit too hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42:27 PM
Registered

Once I get wheel off I can go from there just didn't know if there was a trick to removing these specific flywheels. It's rather just locked on tight or I'm missing something lol thanks for the help
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: maytag opposing twin... no spark... help

Per above the flywheel should pop off when crank end with nut on is struct with mallet (wood plastic prefable). As mentioned the crankshaft on the treaded end is very brittle. There should be some slight side to side play in the crank shaft. Pull the flywheel toward you when you strike the end.
that gives the crankshaft some room to move and break free of the flywheel. Use sharp taps. May be able to use a brass dead weight mallet might help but be careful and use sharp taps. May be some rust on the interface between shaft and flywheel which will make it stick some. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 08-01-2016, 05:33:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts
Exclamation Re: maytag opposing twin... no spark... help

DON'T pry on the flywheel! Stand the engine on its side, flywheel up. Place a couple pieces of 2x4, about a foot long on end, under the rim as close to 180 degrees apart as possible. Loosen the nut until flush with the end of the crank, and either hit with a heavy plastic mallet or place a piece of scrap brass on top of the nut and rap with a hammer. DO NOT hit the nut with a steel hammer! You will either deform or bust the crank! The flywheel should pop loose. Look at the backing plate on the inside of the engine. There should be info there. It will say: 72-D, 72 DA or WICO. The D and DA are Eissman mags, they are the ones known for bad coils. By all means, clean the points, and if no spark, try replacing the condenser first. Set plugs at .025, points at .020 MAKE SURE that BOTH plugs are grounded when turning the engine over. Trying to run or quit the engine by removing a high tension lead is a sure way to kill the coil. DO NOT remove a plug wire while the engine is running!