Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin no fire

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2791 times

Old 12-25-2005, 04:05:26 PM
Registered-I

Default Wisconsin no fire

I've been reading these forums from time to time and have gotten a lot of good info. But one problem I have been having is with my welder. I have an old Hobart Welder with a twin cyl Wisconsin THD I believe. It has electric start and a distributor. The problem is that it goes through condensers like crazy. I have been buying them from the only Wisconsin dealer around but he is older and in ill health. It is hard to catch him in the shop now days. My question is is there an easier sourced or possibly cheaper condenser available and why would I be going through them so quickly. Sometimes they will last through 4 or 5 tanks of gas but others will only last for one or two running sessions. The engine generator does not work so I generally recharge the battery when it starts to cranks slower on start. The welder generator does not work either.
Sorry for being long winded but just wanted to give as much info as I could.

Thank you in advance.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2005, 10:38:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wisconsin no fire

I know it sounds weird, but it sounds like you are overvoltaging the coil. Is there a resister in the ignition circut? Is the ignition switch working properly? What shape are the points in? Burnt up? If the entire system is overvoltaged, perhaps control systems (regulater) is an issue.cranking volts to coil - 12+, run voltage - 6 to 8.
Andrew
Old 12-25-2005, 11:01:38 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Wisconsin no fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey
I know it sounds weird, but it sounds like you are overvoltaging the coil. Is there a resister in the ignition circut? Is the ignition switch working properly? What shape are the points in? Burnt up? If the entire system is overvoltaged, perhaps control systems (regulater) is an issue.cranking volts to coil - 12+, run voltage - 6 to 8.
Andrew
I haven't seen any resistor on this setup yet. I will double check tomorrow, as well as the voltage. I was playing with it tonight and it has no sperk while cranking but when I let off the starter button it will show a very weak spark until the engine stops spinning. Seems very weird to me. Points look good and are gapped correctly. I will check the voltages when I get the chance and report the results.
Thanks Andrew
Old 12-25-2005, 11:19:11 PM
Registered-III

sounds like it is the coil or its "leaking" ignition. I had an engine do what your describing, it was fine when the engine was cold and when it got warm and you shut it off it wouldn't start,condensor would burn out. I put a different coil on it and never happened after that. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-26-2005, 12:42:11 AM
Registered-II

Hello You need to make sure you have a resistor type coil on that ing. system if you dont or have a resitience wire in line it will burn up the cond. everytime. if not sure you need to go to the local auto parts and pick up a coil just make sure its a resestor type.....now this is all assuming that you have a automotive type ing. on it. last i remember them wisc. cond wasnt cheap...hope this helps.....

steve.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58:07 AM
Registered-III

Skartguy,I know what your referring to and it makes sense. I was wondering if a person can buy a resistor like the porcelain type where they can be wired into the coil wires? Dan Sheldon
Old 12-26-2005, 09:29:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,140 Posts

I agree with the coil being the source of the problem, We were once a wisconsin engine dealer, and I was the man you dealt with. Been to several wisconsin schools, back then. Don't have a manual handy for the engine, but, if you have one, check the parts section and get the models of mags used on those, also. I see plenty of them on E-bay, from time to time, and if the replacement coil dosen't fix the problem, search for a working mag, that will definately eliminate the problem
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28:14 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSheldon
Skartguy,I know what your referring to and it makes sense. I was wondering if a person can buy a resistor like the porcelain type where they can be wired into the coil wires? Dan Sheldon
Go to the parts house and get what's called a "ballast resistor" for something like a '60 Chevy, etc.

It's porcelain with a bracket. It has two leads and it goes in series with the wire from the ignition switch to the coil.

Oh, yes - don't worry about having to get a genuine Wisconsin condenser. Get one for the '60 Chevy or a '46 Ford or a '54 Hudson............They're all so close that any one of them will work if it will physically fit.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand

Last edited by Elden DuRand; 12-26-2005 at 11:32:36 AM. Reason: Wurdz
Old 12-26-2005, 06:05:19 PM
Registered-I

I picked up a wells condensor today for $3.60 put it on and it started right up. I will get a ballast resistor on the next trip to town. I looked at one from a Dodge today but decided to do some checking first. After looking close to the wiring I can see it needs a little attention. I believe I will go ahead and rewire most of the motor and put in the ballast. Try to get the generator and amp guage to working too.
By the way thanks everyone that replied. I will let you know how it works.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:19:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts

Ballast from a '68 dodge should work fine. Some systems used a bypass that allowed full voltage to the coil during cranking, to offset voltage loss during cranking. When the key was released from the start position, to run, the switch would default to the resister circut for the coil. Check the function from the ignition-starter switch as well.
Andrew
Old 12-31-2005, 12:41:13 AM
Registered-II

Hello again just let you know if you go to an old school parts house you can still find regular resentiece wire in a role which old chrys. products used this will also work in place of a ballast res. hope it helps steve.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:15:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,599 Posts

Mudcat,
In your original post you said:
"The engine generator does not work so I generally recharge the battery when it starts to cranks slower on start"
If you are having ignition problems on top of that, I would consider replacing the generator with a magneto. I believe it will fit the opening where the generator is without modification. I saw a 2-cylinder mag sell very recently on eBay for $15! This would eliminate the need for a battery, coil, resistors, etc. I have a good hot mag on my Wisc THD and it starts very easily with a rope.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-31-2005, 10:45:51 PM
Registered-I

Skartguy, are you talking about the fusible link wires?

I will be looking for a mag to sell on e-bay now. I have used this now for 2 days off and on and has worked flawlessly. I put a resistor from an old Chevy from the junkyard.
Thanks again guys.

Now I have an old Lister Petter diesel I need to get out and get it started.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24:38 PM
Registered-II

Hello Again......there was also a restience wire that ran from coil to dist. on some models this way you could use a non rest. coil.....the wire looked alot thicker than an ordinary coil wire.....the fuseable link gose on the battey side of things.