Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

HATZ l31 Starting Issue

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 549 times

Old 03-25-2018, 12:26:25 PM
Registered

Default HATZ l31 Starting Issue

Hi I am new to the forum been a lurker for years. I am having trouble with a Hatz 2 cylinder diesel engine on a case roller. The thing will start up when cold and run as normal but if you shut it off it will not restart for a while. Even if it's started and shut off right away it will not restart unless it sits for 10-20 minutes. The throttle/fuel cut lever is moving just fine I am thinking something in the injector pump must be sticking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I see there a re a few hatz pros on here. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 08:01:31 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: HATZ l31 Starting Issue

It may be that the injector pump plungers are worn. Fuel will leak past the helix of a worn plunger reducing the delivery at cranking speed. As the engine gets hotter more leakage will occur. Check if you can hear the injectors creaking when turning the engine, both when cold and when hot. Increasing the cranking speed will assist if the pump is worn, so when turning the engine slowly there may be no delivery. If the engine has an excess fuel stop on the pump for starting, his should be used as it will assist if the pump is worn.
Hugh
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08:50 PM
Registered

I will check it out thank you
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36:49 PM
Registered-II

When it wont start hot, try carefully pouring a little cool water on the injection pump head and trying again. If it starts, there's your problem. A number of injection pumps are known for hard- or no-starting hot when the heads get worn.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianh For This Post: