Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Cummins Model F

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1087 times

Old 05-10-2018, 11:52:31 AM
Registered

Default Cummins Model F

Hello All,
Bringing this over from Unidentified Engines since we are making headway. It was suggested I look for the Cummins Historian in this forum so if you are out there please chime in. This engine does run, it has no serial number, was looking for approximate year of MFG (1919-1924) has been suggested and if there is any literature available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170511_191650_resized.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	310147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_155047_resized.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	310148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170326_173210_resized.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	310149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_133328_resized.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	310150  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RacerX335 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 02:51:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Cummins model f

Hello, I would be the Cummins historian you're looking for. This is certainly an exciting find!!! Your engine is the fifth confirmed 1cyl F in the world (a few others are rumored to exist).

The Model F *started* production in 1924 and was produced through 1931. Yours is non-governed, which was typical of engines used in a marine propulsion application. It was offered in 1,2,3,4 and 6 cylinder configurations. Max rating for the 1cyl F is 12.5HP @ 600rpm. Unfortunately, the brass data tag was the only place

We have a complete collection of original Model F manuals in our archive. Since the filesize limits on this forum are very tiny, I cannot attach the electronic copies here. So that others can see the manuals if they're interested, I've created a public GDrive folder with the manuals here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VY...dvZBV4zT3OCW6G This folder does NOT contain all the Model F manuals we have. We can work towards scanning some of the others in the near future.

I see on your 'unidentified engines' post that you may be willing to consider selling the engine in the future. Please keep us in consideration if you do. At a minimum, we would like to discuss a potential loan agreement to allow us access/use of the engine in 2019, which is our 100th birthday.

Thank you for sharing this and keeping this engine safe. Happy to help with whatever additional info.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-10-2018, 11:53:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: Cummins Model F

Nice.... Tell us the story about the acquisition.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:40:35 AM
Registered

Thank you for sharing the information about this engine. I'm in the process of restoring one of these Model F single cylinder engines, and I've done a lot of research about these engines. I'd be glad to provide any information I can to help with your engine.

I work with Steve who replied earlier, and I have also scanned a parts catalog in addition to the two documents he uploaded yesterday. I'll ask him to upload that also.

If anyone knows of other Cummins Model F engines out there, we'd be very interested to hear about them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg H For This Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:02:27 PM
Registered

The parts manual has been uploaded for the GDrive.

Also to finish one of the sentences I didn't finish in my previous post....Unfortunately, the brass data tag was the only place that the engine serial number was stamped on the Model F, so without it there is likely no way we'll ever be able to full identify/date the engine.

Cheers,
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to dieselsteveo For This Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 12:31:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Cummins model f

Steve / Greg
Thats awesome, I will set about downloading the manuals. If you use my handle name and just add yahoo to that I can get off line with you in more detail about the engine.

I was introduced to the original owner who said that it came from Iowa. He'd been bugging the guy who had it for about 30 yrs. Finally on a picking trip from Socal he was able to purchase. It was supposed to have been freshly rebuilt (was not true) and ready to start. The old guy was a huge fan of these engines (had several smaller ones) but not so good with a wrench. This was his crown jewel, he'd tried over the last 18 years to get runnnng but his health was failing. I was commissioned to make it run then paint for show. It was a Sunday ritual for a year to show pictures of what I was doing and talk about the progress. Sadly Doug passed without hearing it run but this past Feb the old girl came to life for the first time in who knows how long. As I could see the time getting short the pretty was left for later but it actually runs really good. After so much time invested I accepted the opportunity to become the custodian but also recognized this engine needs to be on display and shown.

Got the manuals downloaded, extremely helpful is the adjustments .... especially the injector, my approach was pretty close to what the manual had. The instructions from the factory are almost like reading a letter for your Uncle Joe telling you how to start his old pickup truck! Thanks for sharing.

Greg,
Only thing I sent out was the injector. If you don't already have a source, PCE in San Diego did mine.

Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RacerX335 For This Post: