Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 765 times

Old 02-18-2019, 11:51:43 PM
Registered

Default Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

Have just acquired this engine and starting to learn about it. Everything is free , has a Krice Carb not pictured which seems complete and serviceable. I am curious as to how to date the engine , if someone can help ? The compression is good. Of most concern so far is the water pump plunger which is somewhat oval and I think it may be missing a section that would have had some time of packing to provide a seal , if anyone could help with information I would be grateful . Since it is so oval and worn I am thinking I could turn it down and insert a brass sleeve into the bore of the pump housing as the interior of the bore is also in poor condition and getting a good seal will be difficult . I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar ? Also I am missing the gland packing that is clamped around the plunger to provide a seal to the outside , does anyone have information as to what this looked like or how best to make one ? any help or advice gratefully received , Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	328981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4002.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	328982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	328984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3997.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	328985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3996.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	328986  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 02:24:11 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,352 Times in 4,105 Posts
Exclamation Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp ?

Detroit Marine engines were sold many ways. Bare engine (you put on your own carb or mixer, with a Kingston 3 ball brass carb, with a Lunkenheimer mixer and with the low pressure fuel injector. Quite a selection and fuel milage will vary! As far as I know, there is no dating system for them. They were produced about 1902 to the mid teens as far as I know. They were also sold under other brands as well If you check out the Davis Family Engine Website, there is a lot of data on the Detroit Engine Works engines there. Not sure if he has any sources for marine parts, but it can't hurt to ask. I wrote an article for The Gas Engine Magazine about a 2 HP Detroit Marine engine - 'The As Is Engine' Oct/Nov 1997 issue. You can contact GEM for a back issue or rad it on line at their website.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36:29 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp ?

I just happen to have a couple of these Detroit's stored in my basement, one with a 12" wheel, the other is 14" diameter. Your missing packing gland looks like this. Made of cast iron. Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Detroit.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	329027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Detroit 2.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	329028  
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52:07 PM
Registered

Andrew, thank you for your information i was not aware of the Davis website and will learn a lot I am sure , the story from GEM is very informative and gives me a lot more information to chew on, much appreciated Martin

---------- Post added at 08:52:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Prichard View Post
I just happen to have a couple of these Detroit's stored in my basement, one with a 12" wheel, the other is 14" diameter. Your missing packing gland looks like this. Made of cast iron. Fred
Fred , this is exactly what I have got so that great news , so I do not have anything missing from the plunger , it is just worn and I do have the packing gland . I still can't figure out though what forms the seal(the packing) between the plunger and the housing to stop water coming out, sorry if i am sounding ignorant just not familiar with this arrangement , many thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18:52 PM
Subscriber

Graphite rope packing is what I use but just about any kind of round or square packing that will fit in the opening will work even around your worn piston. Fred
Old 02-20-2019, 08:37:37 PM
Registered

Fred , thank you I will research the packing once I have measured it up, mis appreciated ,Martin
Old 03-02-2019, 09:55:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 334 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

Hi Martin, Nice looking Detroit. Is it tagged with a Detroit Engine Works name plate? As already stated there is not any information from the factory to date the Detroit engines. Detroit Engine Works marine engines were first advertised around the 1906 time period. The early model DEW marine engines manufactured (1906-1909) had only a 1" National pipe thread plug & hole in the crankcase for inspection purposes and the two engine mounting flanges on the side of the crankcase were only as wide as the crankcase. Later model DEW marine engines manufactured (1910-1920) have a larger 3" square or round inspection plate with 4 small holes for bolts. Also the engine mounting flanges on the side of the crankcase are wider. So your engine was manufactured sometime between 1910-1920. Your water pump is probably not as bad as you would think as it does not work exactly like a piston in a engine so it does not have to be a close fit because it is simply displacing the water and if a little water goes by the piston it will still pump water. The seal is going to be created with the packing and the tapered sleeve. You can use the graphite rope as already stated or use round Teflon for packing for sealing the piston. I have replaced a few of the brass pistons but never had to do any work on the bore in the cast iron water pump. If you have a good round piston then the packing will seal good. The bore is not that critical in the water pump. There should be two check valves on your water pump. One above the piston & bore where the hex head is and another brass horizontal check valve in line with the water inlet thread hole. In your photo you are also missing a cylinder drip oiler. Should be a drip oiler that has a check ball below the drip view glass and a vent tube in the upper oil reservoir. One last thing, the serial number for your engine should be stamped into the outer diameter of the flywheel. Email or PM me if I can help you with any other questions.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:18:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

John I very much appreciate your information , I realize I was a little ignorant when asking my question about the water pump cylinder bore bit now understand its a displacement pump. As the weather warms up i shall be getting into the workshop and having a good look at the engine and am sure I will have more questions. Will also provide the serial number Many thanks Martin
Old 03-14-2019, 02:28:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,352 Times in 4,105 Posts

A good plumbing store (not a box store like loews or home despot), should have graphite impregnated cotton packing, It is used on a lot of things like valve stems and pump seals. As John stated,Teflon will work too but is not as gorgiving on used out of round surfaces.
Andrew
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58:50 PM
Registered-III

What size is the shaft you need the packing gland for? I may have one that will work if the size is correct. All I'd charge is shipping, and a smile. I'll check the size tomorrow and get a pic or 2.