Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

In need of a 20 hp Bessemer cylinder.

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 4332 times

Old 04-20-2007, 10:21:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: In need of a 20 hp Bessemer cylinder.

That measurement was a typo. It was supposed to say 9.54 inches. And yes, it is this way because of severe rust in the cylinder. If it will run at all, it will be very poorly and probably close to max speed and that's the opposite of what I like. I like 'em to run slooooow and steady, with minimal missing and no bad noises.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45:21 PM
Registered-III

Bessemer made 15, 20, 22 1/2, 25, and 25/30 HP engines. I don't know what the bore sizes on these engines were. I've got a 22 1/2 and a 25/30 HP, but I don't know the bore sizes. The 22 1/2 is a smaller engine than the 25/30, and it may use the same castings as the 20 HP. If that is the case, it might be possible to bore your cylinder to the 22 1/2 HP size (which might be 9 3/4 or 10 inches?) and run a 22 1/2 piston in it. Also, the 10" piston I have looks good to go, but it would have to have the 2 1/4" rod turned down to 1 5/8 and another thread and shoulder cut to fit your crosshead. It might be too long to run in your engine, but I doubt it. Some adjustment is available at the crosshead to get the piston face to line up with the exhaust port at BDC.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:00:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanks, but I've had it with this thing. The cross bridges on the intake port would be gone even if the cylinder could be bored that far. Boring it that far would also cost a minimum of 1300, which is still waaay more than I'm willing to spend on this piece of scrap.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:46:49 AM
Registered-III

Talking Re: In need of a 20 hp Bessemer cylinder.

Unless Dirtbikepilot has second thoughts or a better offer, both of which I would understand and not have a problem with, it looks like this engine will be my project after next. The next project is the Cletrac 20C. I had a shop sleeve the Ajax for me and it seems like it might be time to try to do one myself.

keithw
Old 04-21-2007, 02:06:55 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: In need of a 20 hp Bessemer cylinder.

Good luck, Keith. I have a 22 HP Bessemer, and it's a good, easy-starting engine. I like the large flywheels and generally archaic look of it, and it can run pretty slow, too. It has a hot tube ignition on it, and I intend to add an OC magneto set up. The Dixie mag set up looks better, but I don't have any parts for that outfit. I would eventually like to put a crosshead or "shotgun" water pump on it and install the governor. With the big flywheels, open crank, glass oilers, shotgun pump, magneto, governor, and hot tube, plus the plumbing, these engines look about as busy as a typical sideshaft when they are running.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:30:00 PM
Subscriber

Yeah Keith, it's all yours. I am SO sick of this thing. Maybe you can get it sleeved for less than I can or find another cylinder for it. On a good note, I started working on one of my 6 horse fairbanks today, and it looks excellent! There is virtually no rust in the cylinder and the stuck piston came out with some pounding with a specially cut 2x4. My other 6 horse fairbanks isn't even stuck, so that's going to be even easier. Then it's on to the 3 horse engines I have..... they're stuck harder though. Then it's on to the 1.5's and 2's.....
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08:46 PM
Registered-III

Yo Dirtbikepilot, was just wondering about your original deal. Didn't you get something out of Haxtun? I was ignorant at the time when I bought them, but I got three engines from an individual out in Haxtun and he wasn't exactly forthcoming with info at the time . Had I known better then, I would have passed them up for sure!

Gilbert
KTM 300exc pilot
Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit member
Old 05-01-2007, 02:30:08 AM
Subscriber

Yep, I sure did. I'll never do business with him again. He has a reid, a bessemer, and a superior with a bunch of parts for sale right now. Whoever buys those might regret it. I traded a running 4 horse Alamo and a 5 horse hercules (not running, but not stuck) for that junk bessemer. He said it would run with some honing and although it looked bad when I bought it, I trusted him. I'm charging Keith what I believe to be a fair price for this enigne: $0.00 He was not sorry at all when I told him about it. BTW, he just bought a 6 horse mogul, so he isn't hurting for money.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:30:43 PM
Registered-III

Yep, that's him. Basically sold me junk too. 'Stole' the oilers off the engines after sending me pictures with them on there, claiming they got broken moving them, yea right, then got cranky when I wanted the 'broken pieces' as I wanted to buy new glass for them if that's what was broken. Played ignorant about the condition of the engines, too bad I didn't know much better at the time, but boy do I now! Said his dad was the one with big collection, probably where the money is coming from. As they say Caveat Emptor!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47:52 PM
Subscriber

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but at least there are two of us now who have the same experience. This proves that my case was not just a mistake on his part or that it was the only case of this happening. By far the majority of the people on this board are trustworthy individuals and I'd say they deserve to know about sellers like Justin. He flat out told me that this would be a good engine. Maybe we should make a post on the main forum mentioning our experiences with him. Harry probably knows better than I do what the right course of action would be. I'll send him an e-mail.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10:09 PM
Subscriber

I called Justin tonight to give him one more chance to make this right as far as I am concerned, and we reached a settlement that we can both felt ok about. Everything is ok and worked out.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:04:06 PM
Subscriber

Well, I just got off the phone after talking to Justin (again) for an hour and a half. He really is a good guy who isn't out to screw anyone over. He and I just had a total miscommunication that night when I bought the bessemer. He said that he really thought it would be fine and run well enough with some honing. It turns out that he and I have both learned from this experience.

This deal has gotten blown way out of proportion. He reacted in the wrong way the first time I talked to him about this, BUT he has since sincerely appologized for that he and I no longer have anything bad of each other.

I just wanted to say that everything's all good and no intentional harm was done. I can't speak for Gilbert, but Justin and I are square as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't be afraid to buy another engine from Justin again.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:06:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbikePilot View Post
This deal has gotten blown way out of proportion. He reacted in the wrong way the first time I talked to him about this, BUT he has since sincerely appologized for that he and I no longer have anything bad of each other.
That was supposed to say that he and I no longer have any bad feelings for each other.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44:43 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
I just wanted to say that everything's all good and no intentional harm was done. I can't speak for Gilbert, but Justin and I are square as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't be afraid to buy another engine from Justin again.
Yeah, I wasn't going to bad mouth Justin at all, he is a nice enough kid. Would I buy something from him again? Probably not, as he is too casual in his representation of items for me to take a long trip out to his place only to be dissapointed then or later when you really determine the condition of item in question. I'm just the opposite, if anyone is coming over to check something out, I pretty much lay everything on the line up front so that someone is fully aware of what they're in for before they show up. Justin will let you jump into the deep end. My problem was that I was a newbie when I bought the engines, but I've done stupid buys like that before and I was pissed at myself for not being more aware.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48:36 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
I called Justin tonight to give him one more chance to make this right as far as I am concerned, and we reached a settlement that we can both felt ok about. Everything is ok and worked out.
So does that mean you're making another trip to Haxtun? Got anything you're bring out and want to drop off in Ft. Collins along the way?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:17:26 PM
Subscriber

Yes, I will be going back out there. I'm sure glad we talked through this instead of just staying pissed at eachother. I'm not sure what he thinks of me, but I will still consider him a friend and a good guy after this. I don't know what you would want me to bring out there, unless you're after a rebuilt zc-346. It isn't cheap though.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40:34 AM
Registered-III

Yeah I've read some of what you've done to your 346, it's got to be a monster!

I'm just always fishing for engines, you never know, not sure if I'm ready for something that big yet though??? I've got a 52 myself.

We went up to Nebraska last weekend for a RMEC enduro and along the way I spotted some big flywheels at a oil pump shack along the side of the road. Stopped to check it out, not sure what the big engines were, but there was some LeRoi's and a ZC something big, I was thinking at least the 206. That got my interest. I might have to go back and check on it.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:08:15 AM
Subscriber

Yeah, it's pretty big. It weighs about 2300 pounds with 41 inch flywheels that weigh 500 pounds each. It's easy to start though because it has a compression release and an impulse mag. I lowered my price to 2200 and I have more than that into it just in parts. It also comes with a ton of spare parts. If it was an open crank engine, I would never sell it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31:28 AM
Registered-III

Hello all,

The baby Bessemer made it home fine. I'm going to round up a fork lift to get it off the trailer. It will need a lot of work but that's fine with me. This one is back burner till after finishing up the Ajax and the Cletrac but I'm sure I'll piddle with it some and post pictures as I go along. Glad you guys sorted things out.

keithw