Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid 15 hp gas air metering

this thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 6035 times

Old 08-25-2008, 06:46:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,738 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Reid 15 hp gas air metering

Glad to hear of your success! I hope this is the start of years of fun with your REID!! but then I'm a little bit prejudiced!

John Burns
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanks John. Your Ideas on the main valve allignment got me back on course. BTW, while running, I held my hand under the main valve, and felt a little puff of air coming out during detonation. havent run the engine up to operating temps but when I do, I will recheck the torque on the main valve nuts. Seems to run strong with no blowby on either cylinder. Thanks for your guidance, Jim.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26:45 PM
Registered-II

That's great Jim! What did you end up doing for gaskets? And did you get all the leaking to stop, or is a little not a problem?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57:10 PM
Registered-III

Joel. I reannealed the copper rings and put them back in. I am thinking my sealing problem was not the rings but the valve head being held up by the plunger cocking in the lower bore. That, and some slight high spots on the plunger body, which I filed down. I completely removed the spring,which made it easier to lift the valve on the transfer. when I back pressured the valve, I would move the charge piston back about 1/2 inch, then stop. I could not get it to move back until I relieved the pressure and repeated. I am still confused about the valve passing the leak test prior to the filing. I will run it out some more and retorque the nuts. It starts easy and runs smooth. I was afraid it would jump around a bit. but it is steady on the boards on the ground. I still have to work on the sharp exhaust rap. Its so bad, no one will want to be around it. Thanks for all your help in getting this engine running. I really appreciate your knowledge of the workings of these engines. Jim.