Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

I need help with a 15hp Reid

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 3730 times

Old 05-22-2010, 10:58:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: I need help with a 15hp Reid

Things are getting better. I checked the main valve as suggested, and it leaked enough to push the charging piston out several inches. So I took the valve out and chucked it in my lathe and resurfaced the seat, then I lapped it and cleaned the copper crush seals. After working on the valve it completely changed the way it runs. Before it would run, but it would sputter and burp every little bit. Now it hits consistantly.

David
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19:44 AM
Registered-II

If this works I made a video of the engine running. Now I have to get work on the plumbing. Thanks for all the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgcxtWzZc4

David
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afretired For This Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts

Very cool
thats an awful long running time without cooling water or the oilers turned on. Even though the outer cylinder (water jacket) is cool to the touch, the main (inner cylinder) is very, very hot. Serious damage can occur in just a very little time.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12:42 AM
Sponsor

I can not beleve how well your Reid runs, slow and steady with a good sound to it. Considering the shape it was in when you started on it. When I first saw photos of it I said to myself thats an engine in need of some elbo grease and some long nights in the shop. You have inspiered me to get back on mine and make some changes, hopefuly it will come out running as well as yours. Good job. And I want to thank again all the help I got form all the other Stakers on my Reid. Phil

Last edited by OldironPhil; 05-26-2010 at 01:07:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50:07 PM
Registered-II

Phil
Here are a few pictures back in '04 when I started on the project. As you can see it was stuck tight. I really didn't think I would ever get it going. But after quite a bit of penetrating oil, heat and a 20 ton jack I finally got the piston to move about 1/32. Then I would tear everthing back down and hook up a chain and booming dog to pull the piston back, then set the jack back up and then it would move about 1/16...and so on. After several days I finnally got the piston out. Good luck.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000012.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	79751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000013.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	79752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000020.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	79753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000027.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	79754  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afretired For This Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:32:33 PM
Registered-III

David, That brings back some memories of unsticking my 15 hp Reid. The charging piston came out easy with some penetrating oil and air pressure to drive it down. the main piston wouldnt pass oil. I tipped up the the cylinder and put a fitting on the hot tube fitting and hooked it to the shop air supply,120 psi and left it for a week. No go. Some one on this site gave me a number of an older gent back east who knew these engines.
When I called him, the first thing he said is not to be afraid to put the hurt on the engine,they are tough. His instructions were to loosen the rod bearing so as to give 1 inch of travel. Then get a big rosebud torch and set it inside the piston under and ahead of the wrist pin. Then he said to go get a cup of coffee, maybe two. He said its hot enough when your spit dances on the cylinder extension. Then he told me to get a garden hose with a spray nozzle and shoot water inside the piston until it quits hissing, then quickly "chunk the flywheels back and forth.
Well, nothing happened the first time so I repeated the procedure and the first chunk yeilded 1/16 inch and back yeilded 1/8th inch. i shot some oil on the cylinder and kept rocking and within 15 minutes the piston was free.
I would never had tried this drastic of measure but it worked great and I even saved the rings. You can see the engine at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rusty_acres/
Jim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Gorter For This Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24:59 PM
Registered-II

Jim
Great looking engine, I had already seen it on you-tube, but it is nice to know who it belongs to. Your story was something else, I can see heating it but then running that cold water in on it sets me back. It looks like you are into the crawlers, I've got an old TD-9 that will crank in the dead of winter when nothing else will. Start it on gasoline then after it warms up, switch to desiel. Though the clutches are wore out now.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to afretired For This Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 10:37:07 PM
Sponsor

love them TD crawlers, Here is a photo of my Cletrac AD 1942 hooked to the Reid on its trailer, and a photo of it in the shop when I just finished the trailer. Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cle222222.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	79773   Click image for larger version

Name:	cle5555.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	79774  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:03:20 PM
Registered-II

For the past week I've been busy getting the water hooked up and redoing the gas plumbing. The first time I got the water hooked up I had it plumbed over the top of the water barrel then it dropped down to the barrel. I had a hard time getting the water to perculate above the barrel. So I raised the barrel about a foot and the water now flows around without any problem. After running it for a while I've noticed the propane tank getting real cold, almost frosty. I may have to do something to keep it from freezing up. Also I haven't got the air/gas regulator/mixer figured completely out. I am still having to close off the adjustment to get the engine started. I have found out if I keep it open and just use the adjustment on the needle valve it is harder to start. So I set it with the air/gas adjustment almost closed and set the needle valve to 1 -1/4 turns and it will start everytime. Then I have to open up the aduster and turn down the needle valve to level off the engine and slow it down.
Check out the videos below.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWuQDDixlg

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtkVR...eature=channel

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMeZ1...eature=channel

David
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afretired For This Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42:52 PM
Subscriber

hey david
what size propane tank are you using. the 20 lb will freeze off and shut the fuel off on most big engines. might have to get you a 100 if you don't have one allready.

rod
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15:27 PM
Registered-II

Rod
I was wondering about that, I'm using a regular 20lb cylinder. I guess I had better check on one of the big ones.

David
Old 06-01-2010, 03:00:16 PM
Subscriber

I put a new 2o lb. Cylinder on my 20 superior yesterday and it only ran for 10 minutes before the tank froze to the ground. You can put the tank in a tub of hot or even warm water, and it will run a lot longer. On my 25 reid, i cool it with water from the spigot on shop, and i run a hose from the cylinder discharge to the propane tank and let it run over the tank while engine is running. Works great. My buddy dave mccray brought me 2 100 lb cylinders this weekend. I am getting them filled this week. What a pal. Even made up new hoses with the fittings for me.

Rod