Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Finally found a Superior!

this thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 8312 times

Old 09-10-2011, 07:55:31 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Finally found a Superior!

Here is a photo of the cylinder in my 30 ton press. I got the piston to move about an inch before cracking the cylinder on the press. I then invested in a 50 ton jack and some heavy duty chain. I welded up the frame shown to push by or to pull against depending on how you look at it. The frame went against some heavy arbor plates which were against the bottom of the cylinder. I placed a couple of 8x8 oak timbers across the bottom of the frame. The frame was large enough to allow the piston to move through it without touching the sides. It also protected the piston in case something slipped. I could not afford to break the piston skirt. I put six wraps of chain (twelve lengths) betweem the oak timbers and a I beam over the jack at the top of the cylinder. The jack pushed against another 8x8 oak timber inside the cylinder which was against a heavy flange which was on top of the piston. I put a 1" ring of gasket material around the edge of the piston to concentrate the load around the outer edge. I was concerned if I pushed flat against the piston it may crack the face of the piston. I figured only the sides were stuck, not the center. I also had to heat the cylinder inside the water jacket using a homemade torch. I will post a photo of that later. What it took most of all was alot of luck. I can tell you all day about great planning but luck has as much to do with success as anything I believe. I would rather be lucky than good anyday I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Guard 006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	115532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Piston Out 001 (640x480).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	115533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Piston Out 002 (640x480).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	115534  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 08:06:27 PM
Registered-II

Here are a couple of photos of the cylinder and piston. I expected rust and scale but what I found was grease. The grease was that heavy black grease that your shop handcleaner will not remove. It soaked into my hands like a tatoo. For the next week at work it looked like I had just finished rebuilding my transmission during my lunch break. The only reason I can figure the piston was so tight is buildup behind the rings. The cylinder and piston are now in a hot tank getting a good soaking and cleaning. I am curious to see what things look like when the rings are removed. The bottom ring was loose but the others were stuck tight. I wanted to wait until removal from the hot tank prior to trying to remove the rings to avoid breakage. You may notice some silver streaks in the cylinder. Those are not scratches. I wrapped the flange I used for pressing the piston out with numerous layers of duct tape. I wanted a barrier between the flange and the cylinder to avoid scratches. A layer or two of the tape left the mark but the flange never broke through the rest of the layers of duct tape. That stuff has a million uses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Superior Piston Out 003 (640x480).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	115535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Piston Out 004 (640x480).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	115536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Piston Out 005 (640x480).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	115537  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53:50 AM
In Memory OF

Hi Jeff, glad to see your progress. I would be willing to share a couple of pics of tools I made if you like. One is a ring expander and the second is a hone I made to finish cleaning up the cylinder.
Walt
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08:52 PM
Registered-II

Walt: I would like any information you are willing to share. It is a little easier to travel a road which someone has paved before me. I was staring at my hone today deciding how to extend the arms to fit a 11 1/2" cylinder. I do have another question for you. My carb. is missing the valve and stem that shuts off the gas and air flow. The one which has a round disc with a brass or steel stem that moves up and down by the vacuum of the engine. I got some good pictures of some at Portland so I know what they are to look like. My question is what is the diamteter of the stem on yours? The cap on my carb is drilled for a 3/8" stem but the bottom is drilled for a 1/2" stem. I could put a step in it or I could bush one or both ends. It seems like the ones I saw at Portland were only about 3/8" at the most. I should have taken better measurements when I had the chance. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a photo from Portland.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Portland 2011 035 (640x480).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	115685  
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,590 Times in 904 Posts

Hi Jeff glad you got your piston out. My rings looked just like yours when I got my piston out. Soak them good with PB blaster and tap around and around the rings with a small brass hammer, keep soaking with PB blaster while tapping. I could not believe how good the condition of the rings were after I got them off. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 09:00:48 AM
In Memory OF

Hi Jeff,
Let's see if we can make these pics work. If they don't if you will send me a PM with your e-mail I'll send them that way. I'm haveing trouble resizeing so it dosen't take all day to send them.
The white object is the hone I built. It is a 10" plastic cupler. the things on the outside are foam sanding blocks metal screwed to the outside. The shaft is a piece of 5/8" all thread to lock the channel irons in place which turn it.
The other thing is a ring expander. I heated and bent some small channel iron with the ring edge catchers on the end. You can't tell from the pic but there are matching holes on the handle end so once the ring is expanded a bolt could be put in the hole to lock it in place. I hope this helps.
Walt
Ps , can't get the pics to work so send me your e-mail.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22:17 PM
Registered-II

I sent you a P.M. Thanks for the advise. For the rest of you listening I have been working on making valves, or at least valve stems. I will post some photos tonight if I get a chance. The first one went fine without a hitch which got me thinking I new what I was doing, then I started on the second one and found out different. The first valve has a 5/8" stem. It is threaded at the end where the spring attaches and is also threaded in to the valve face. On the back side of the face there is a retaining nut threaded on and then the end is peened over to prevent the nut from backing off. The second valve also has a 5/8" stem but after removing the nut and valve face I discovered it had a 3/4"thread on the 5/8" stem? Now what? I think I have a solution. I will let you know shortly if it works or not. Stay tuned.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50:21 PM
Registered-II

Here are a couple of photos of the first reconditioned valve. I replaced the stem with 0-1 drill rod. It is a little harder than cold rolled steel but the main reason I used it is that it is ground smooth and is very true. A little harder to thread but it makes a nice finished product. The other photo is of the old valve stem. In additon to the rust you can see the extreme amount of wear on the stem and a bit of a bend as well. I still have to reface the valve on the lathe and the guides are a job for another day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new valve 001 (640x480).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	117120   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve 003 (640x480).jpg
Views:	38
ID:	117122   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve 008 (640x480).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	117123  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58:37 PM
Registered-II

Here is the suprise from the second valve. After removing the valve head I discovered the 5/8" stem has a 3/4" thread on the end. I did not want to turn down a piece of 3/4" rod to 5/8" because it would be hard to heep it smooth and true so I took a 3/4" bolt, rounded the head and bored out the center. I turned down the new valve stem to fit the hole in the bolt. After fitting everything together I will weld the stem to the bolt at both ends. This will retain the locking nut as well on the valve head. It may not be the best fix but it was the best I could come up with. The new thread has not been cut to length and the old thread was cut shorter to remove the locking nut. That is why there is such a length difference between the two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new valve 012 (640x480).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	117124   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve 007 (640x480).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	117125  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21:38 PM
Registered-II

Last update for the day. The governor was a rusted lump when I received it. Several decades in the elements had taken their toll. None of the parts were moveable at all and there was serious doubt if it could be saved. I had to cut the shaft above the drive gear. I then drilled out the small piece of shaft from the gear and collapsed the remining shell to free up the gear. The teeth on the gear are not great. If I can find a replacement I will use it but I do not have the ability to make one. If anyone has any ideas for a new governor gear please respond. Anyway, I then dilled a hole in the remaining shaft just below the mounting bracket. After using a flat end punch and hitting it pretty hard, nothing moved. I could not even get the round weight off the top of the shaft. This doughnut shaped weight just lays on the top to increase engine speed but it was rusted solid. I put the whole assembly through a heat cycle in my preheat/post heat oven (AKA old ceramic kiln) and let it cool over a couple of days. Eventaully with alot of luck, tapping and penetrating oil the parts came loose. I made a new shaft for the governor and the governor weights. There is a new collar which mounts to the shaft laying loose in the photo. I still have to secure that in place. I plan on cross drilling it and using a roll pin. Once again, if there is a better way please speak up. I am working alone with little experience and only your occasional guidence. Help is always welcome. Eventually I will unassemble everything and apply paint before the final assembly to prevent paint from getting in the wrong places and causing problems. I am still missing all of the governor linkage from what you see to the carb including the butterfly in the carb. but I have taken some photos and measurements from others and several people have sent photos as well. A friend Bill R. even offered to make me some of the missing parts using his originals as patterns. Offers like that make me appreciate how great the engine community can be. Selfless acts of kindness. Something I will try to reciprocate to others whenever possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new valve 004 (640x480).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	117127   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve 005 (640x480).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	117128   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve 006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	37
ID:	117129  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40:45 AM
In Memory OF

Jeff, have you ever tried ELECTROLYSIS? This process really works wonders on rusted parts. If you want more info on this process just do a search on this site. I tried to send pics to your e-mail site but it didn't work, I'm still working on the pic thing. The computer programs I have are not very user friendly. Just an aside, my mixer seems to be a lot different than yours. You can adjust the teeth on the gov gears, pull the gib key out of the big gear and slide it toward the small gear. Be careful not to impact the small gear, these seem to be pretty fragil. Good luck!
Walt
The Following User Says Thank You to Walt Roys For This Post: