Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Maytags - Why?

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 11327 times

Old 10-16-2011, 04:03:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytags - Why?

MoRo,
Those engines belong to someone else. I don't even know a name and yes the carts are neat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21:55 PM
Registered-III

I don't have a problem with a couple of Maytags at a show but yes it would be nice if the owners would lean the fuel mixture out just a tad. The problem I'm having at the shows are all the damn garden tractors and I'm not talking about classic walk behinds and riders but all of the newer junk that have been showing up in the past few years it's getting to the point where people are getting too lazy to walk so they decide to bring their Craftsman riding mower with a straight pipe and claim it's an antique.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Geiser13876 For This Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12:58 PM
Registered-III

Geiser13876, I agree for the most part, but around here they even take their actual old lawn tractors and put straight pipes on them as well. Nothing close to original and irritating as all get out, old or new. At least Maytags aren't mobile, for the most part, so they just anger close neighbors, not everyone.

Leaning out the fuel mixture I also agree with. They don't have to send smoke signals to the next state.

Get yer saddles out and strap'em tight, WOO HOO, here we go again!! Oh what fun we have on this subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 10:45:19 PM
Registered-III

Modified Exhaust

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven W For This Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts
Talking Re: Maytags - Why?

Steve, the flex hose ball muffler apparatus is way to high in the air. It needs to be at ground level so everyone can enjoy. Maybe a little longer hose so you could toss the ball into the lawn chair area.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,064 Posts

I'm going to start making arrangements now so that I can go to the next show by the lake and I'm going to bring as many maytags as Dad has and set up right next to Skidhoarder even if I have to stop, jump out, unload really fast and go park somewhere else because there is no space between him and the next guy...................................... ............I may have to borrow more from some other friends who I know would be glad to loan them once I tell them what I am going to do with them..........................

Just kidding Skidmore.............but it is very tempting............
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,455 Times in 4,166 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytags - Why?

I like my Maytags. When we run one at the Sussex County Fair, we always get asked "What is it?" The venders next to us don't care for them, but they like the OCSP oil field engine even worse! When it backfires, you can hear it 2 miles away, out on State highway 206, or on State highway 94, in Augusta, NJ. When running, it makes all the fainting goats, at the other end of the venue, drop almost instantly, at the first revolution. I especially love the people in white clothing, that stand outside the fenced in area, where the OCSP is, and watch the engine run. The lovely pitch black, used SAE 50 oil rain, generated by the 4" vertical exhaust pipe, leaves a distinctive pattern, depending where you happen to stand! Stand at the head end of the engine, you will get pelted with 1/4" streaks, on the front, mostly. Stand directly side on, your hat and shoulders will look lovely, with 1/4" dots all over. stand more than 10 feet from the engine, the black rain gets bigger, up to 1/2" in some cases. Stand by the 50 gallon water reservoir, and you won;t get pelted, but you will be in a lovely blue haze, as the wind blows primarily in that direction. A tree stops most of the oil from blowing in that direction. We will see how long that poor tree will last. The fairgrounds would not allow us to cut it down, when we erected the engine display. 2 cycle engines rule!