Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 4577 times

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,099 Posts
Exclamation Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

If the engine does NOT bounce back on the last compression stroke, then compression is definately an issue. the engine should not carry over and stop on the down stroke, it should bounce back. If the engine carrys over TDC, compressed fuel/air in the cylinder should have enough pressure retained to turn the crank to BDC and up against the next compression stroke. it should bounce back, sometimes in both directions, it it does not have enough inertia to carry over TDC.

1) check the ring gap - make sure it is not excessive.
2) Check ring tension - it should be fairly hard to collapse the rings to fit the cylinder. 3) make sure the rings fit snugly in the piston ring grooves.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45:22 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

jim is your rear packing on the rod leaking
The Following User Says Thank You to justme7917 For This Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08:17 PM
Subscriber

Jim,

Read throught the post on my 10 HP Bessemer. Sounds like you are having some of the same situation I had. I choked the air intake down from 2" to 1 1/4". I was attempting to start mine with the tube way too hot. Mine wiil ONLY start with a very little to almost no red showing on the bottom of the tube!!! Follow Rod's recipe of closing the throttle valve and kicking it a few times to see if the mixture was too rich or too lean, it worked for mine!

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92982
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff and Maria Smith For This Post:
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16:01 AM
Subscriber

looking at your pictures... is there anything inside that old governor housing that could be shutting the gas off or choking it down???? just a thought as to those are designed to shut down the engine if the belt was to break, maybe someone at some point forgot to take the guts out of the governor housing???? i normally bypass the governor for running, but i belt it up to watch the motion.. but mines just there for looks...

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

what is the valve under the diamond valve?? does it do anything?? usually it goes from the diamond valve strait to the intake... or jiggly valve as we call it around here....
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18:20 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,099 Posts
Exclamation Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

In your post, #29, I have a few questions: Are there 2 rings per ring groove? Does the piston normally come this far out of the cylinder (3rd picture from left)? When compressed, do the rings come near to the bottom of the groove, or are they a distance from being bottommed? On the piston, do you have the ring ends lined up?

Normally, the rings should be nearly as thick as the groove is deep, no more than about .20 from being bottommed. On oilfield engines, usually only 1 ring per groove. Installed, end gap should be between 4 to 5 thousandths per inch of diameter of the bore. A 10 inch bore ring should have .040" to .050" end gap. If 2 rings per groove, the rings should be 180 degrees apart, never aligned. The piston rod packing should be tight enough to seal, but not be clamped tight enough to stop piston movement. You should be able to move the piston in and out of the cylinder, by hand - not on the crank. personally, I would pull the piston and check ring fit to cylinder. the rings should take a bit of effort to collapse and fit in the cylinder - they should not just rattle around in the bore.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: