Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Centrifugal clutch help needed

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3295 times

Old 05-08-2005, 12:44:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Centrifugal clutch help needed

I have a Wisconsin TRA 12D. The governor isn't working. I was going to take the governor housing off to find the problem. This engine has a centrifugal clutch that I can't get off. I know there are many kinds of clutches so I may not be able to get an answer because I haven't got a clew as to what kind of clutch this is. Anyway I took off snap ring and got pulley and drum off. I took off the spring and friction thingies. I have all off right down to what slides on the crankshaft. I don't see any set screws or any thing the keeps this on the shaft. Something has to keep it on else it would come off while running. I have heated it, hit it to try to knock it on a little more just to get it to move. I laid the engine on the side and put oil on the end of the crank and the oil drains down making me think it isn't rusted on. However it may be draining past the keyway. There nearly has to be something holding holding this on that I am missing.
Anyone have a clue?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 08:07:23 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Centrifugal clutch help needed

Hello,
Could you post a picture of the clutch? Both front and back?

Thanks
Richard
Old 05-08-2005, 09:07:52 PM
Registered-II

I think I figured out what is happening. The whole clutch is about 2" longer than the crankshaft is sticking out. Right on the outside end of the clutch there are 2 holes, no threads and buggered up. I think those were for set screws. If the crankshaft was longer set screws would hold it but now there is nothing for it to hold. Else if the clutch was put on with those holes next to the engine, then there would be something for them to tighten against. Maybe in this engines earlier life, if that clutch were turned around then the pulley wouldn't align up to what it was to pull. The way it is, if belts were tight the culutch couldn't come off. While that engine was waiting for me to find it, it just rusted to the shaft. I have heated the thing to just beginning to turn red and can't get it off. The problem is there is no way to get a puller on it. I used a porta-power between it and the block but that wouldn't push straight and I was afraid I would crush the block. I'm going to cut it off. I don't need that clutch anyway.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:01:42 PM
Registered-II

I cut it off with a torch and did just a little damage to the crank. That damage won't hurt anything. BTW there was nothing but rust holding it on.