Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Oilwell Supply 20 HP Single Valve Simplex

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 5664 times

Old 10-27-2013, 10:47:35 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Oilwell Supply 20 HP Single Valve Simplex

Allan,
The Garlock material will work fine but if you need a copper sandwich gasket you might contact "Gaskets to Go", a sponsor of this site. I had the one pictured made by them & the service was good & the price even better. $49 for the gasket & $35 for the ring. Done & in the mail within 2 weeks. ( The bore of the gasket is 13 1/2" - OD about 20")

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...7&d=1375713578
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Innes For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35:18 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
Now I know where to get head gaskets made. That one looks great.
What kind of gasket material is that and how thick? Garlock?
Hi Allen, the gasket material is 1/16" NA1001 made by Teadit. It looks like the specs are similar to the Blue Guard series Garlok material. Google NA1001 to see the specs of the material. It is good for continuous use to 460 F and 750 PSI. No way is this gasket ever going to see those kinds of temps or pressures. The way this engine is built the gasket area is shielded from any combustion because the head sticks down inside the chamber a bit. And combustion gases would have to go down inside some pretty small clearance holes to even get to the gasket.
I actually made up an Autocad drawing of the gasket and submitted the DXF file to a local gasket company (eaglegasket.com) for a quote. I had visited them previously and saw their operation, plus they gave me enough drop offs to try the material. Their quote was only $16.50 apiece but it was going to take 4 days, so I made my own on my rotary table and milling machine. I think from now on I will start earlier with the DXF drawing and just get them made, it would save a lot of work.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,923 Times in 198 Posts

jeeperforlife is correct about not admitting gas till the compressed air is shut off. You get the engine rolling at a good speed with compressed air only, then after turning off starting air you admit fuel , and hopefully off she goes. If not shut off gas for a few revolutions and repeat. We start a few hot tube engines at Coolspring in this manner. And a friend starts his 25 Simplex single valve in this manner.