Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ruston Hornsby 2.5hp AP

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 5401 times

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33:10 PM
Registered-I

Default Ruston Hornsby 2.5hp AP

Just bought this 1927 Ruston AP, it is in unrestored conditon and runs lovely.
a picture is attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0185.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	127381  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bazbuts For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ruston Hornsby 2.5hp AP

Yes it's a Ruston A.P, but it certianally isn't 2 1/2 hp probably a 4hp or 6hp, but deffinately not 2 1/2hp. I can be certain of that as I have a 2 1/2hp Ruston A.P and it looks nothing like your photo, for srarters it has a round fuel tank and the hopper is a differant shape.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42:13 PM
Subscriber

Well is definately is'nt a 4 or 6 , look at the flywheels.. There tiny!
Just because it is'nt exactly like your one does'nt mean anything

Lovely Engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dungan For This Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06:48 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Dungan View Post
Well is definately is'nt a 4 or 6 , look at the flywheels.. There tiny!
Just because it is'nt exactly like your one does'nt mean anything

Lovely Engine.
Governor housing on side haft is totally differant as well they look more like the bigger size, as there are about 9 known 2 1/2hp's of which I have seen most of them at some time and they look nowt like that and they all look the same; ie same hoppers same style fuel tanks same style covernor housing. I think we need a picture of the tag.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

John , I'm at present looking at photos of 2 differant 2 1/2hp AP's and the head is also differant where the side shaft passes thru the casting, the spark plug is not in a recess but on a flat part on the side of the head, the carbs don't have the elbow on the air intake, the drip oiler on the crank shaft bearing is on the pulley side and not the magento side, the inlet valve rod is at the crank shaft side of the spark plug and not the governor side of the plug as in the photo on the original post. This is just some quick observations from the photo and compairing it to our own engine plus the photos I have of other 2 1/2hp AP's
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58:40 PM
Subscriber

I'm sorry Benz, Perhaps I was a bit too quick off the mar
A picture of the plate would be good.

Maybe it's just the photo , but it does look very small!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41:34 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz engines View Post
Yes it's a Ruston A.P, but it certianally isn't 2 1/2 hp probably a 4hp or 6hp, but deffinately not 2 1/2hp. I can be certain of that as I have a 2 1/2hp Ruston A.P and it looks nothing like your photo, for srarters it has a round fuel tank and the hopper is a differant shape.
I agree. Certainly looks like a 4hp model to me. A friend has a 2.5hp model and as has been said there are a lot of differences to the engine pictured.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 863 Posts

Without looking like a retard is this a different variation of some form for different fuel or speed. Like the 1hp Diesel is huge and stuff so maybe this is small with a big hopper and goes faster because its a late one or something.

Yeh I look like a retard , should never have said I was from England.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37:07 PM
Registered-I

It is as I said it was, I have been in touch with Ray Hooley and I have all the originall info on who it was sold to in 1927 and the company that sold it to the farm.
Its been confirmed from ruston Hornsby records.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazbuts View Post
It is as I said it was, I have been in touch with Ray Hooley and I have all the originall info on who it was sold to in 1927 and the company that sold it to the farm.
Its been confirmed from ruston Hornsby records.
It is deffinately 2 1/2 HP
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12:24 PM
Subscriber

Very cool! Nice engine you have there. I have a 7.5 AP and it's one of my favorite engines. There is a video of it on youtube.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz engines View Post
Governor housing on side haft is totally differant as well they look more like the bigger size, as there are about 9 known 2 1/2hp's of which I have seen most of them at some time and they look nowt like that and they all look the same; ie same hoppers same style fuel tanks same style covernor housing. I think we need a picture of the tag.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

John , I'm at present looking at photos of 2 differant 2 1/2hp AP's and the head is also differant where the side shaft passes thru the casting, the spark plug is not in a recess but on a flat part on the side of the head, the carbs don't have the elbow on the air intake, the drip oiler on the crank shaft bearing is on the pulley side and not the magento side, the inlet valve rod is at the crank shaft side of the spark plug and not the governor side of the plug as in the photo on the original post. This is just some quick observations from the photo and compairing it to our own engine plus the photos I have of other 2 1/2hp AP's
Hey, if you could post a couple pictures of yours, I would really appreciate it! I didn't even know they made a 2.5 size until now.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:35:02 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazbuts View Post
Just bought this 1927 Ruston AP, it is in unrestored conditon and runs lovely.
a picture is attached
Here is a picture of the engine plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-29 20.08.02.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	137597  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:02:10 PM
Sponsor

Bazbuts: I also have a 2 1/2 HP - AP and yours looks the right size to me. Mine has a round tank instead of a retangle one and it has a wico EK Magneto. It is exactly like the four and six HP but much smaller. I think they made them only one or two years and then went to the three HP type. I will try to get a couple of pictures and post them. - Geo.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:40:28 AM
Subscriber

Interesting thead about a superb engine. I had a 3 HP tht was sold on the 26 January, 1923 that has a similar hopper but my 2.5 HP sold on the 5 Janaury 1929 had a round tank and the hopper was modified to suit.
Ray Hooley, who worked for many years for Ruston Hornsby and was responsible for obtaining many factory made exibits for the Lincoln Museum, is still the the Ruston and Hornsby registrar and "helpline" (as staed in the Stationary Engine Magazine). Bazbuts and Geo, if you wish to find out the history of your engines email Ray with photographs of the negine and plates. he then should be able to tell you the day it was sold and who bought it, plus any modifications etc.. When I had mine (over 20 yers ago) he also had many copies of different manuals etc. for sale which are worth getting if they are still available.
Ray's email is rehooley@ntworld.com

Hope this helps

Dave
Philippines

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42:16 AM
Sponsor

Foseng: One other item that is different is that the one with the roung gas tank has a five spoke flywheel while the retangle tank type has six spoke flywheel? - Geo.