Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Oil City half-breed

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 5603 times

Old 02-25-2012, 12:40:48 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,165 Posts
Exclamation Re: Oil City half-breed

When we started the OCSP for the first time, it was just a test to see if it would start. We just fed the intake off a Bernz O Matic torch, unlit (not the best idea, we found out). After heating the hot tube, it was rolled thru several times, and it didn't have much compression. When it finally did fire, it scared the hell out of us, as it accellerated faster than anyone would think 5 foot plus wheels could accellerate! It must have hit over 200 RPM, even with the gas removed, before it finally decided to slow down. It took the frame off the ground about a foot, at the back. I guess that the flywheels were not too well balanced for the 17" of stroke this beast has. The engine frame is now mounted to a 24" thick 8x20 foot concrete pad with 8 3/4" Quick Bolts. It doesn't move now! We only run it at about 100 to 120 RPM, as it is un loaded at this time, so 20 HP is probably not far off from what it is putting out. Compression is so high now, that the engine cannot be rolled over (even with 4 guys hanging on the flywheels), unless the compression release is openned. It always has to be bump started. Thanks for the info!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Oil City half-breed

Looks like I need a new measuring tape. Checked the bore again and found it to be 10 1/2". I don't know how I came up with the 15", must have thought I was fishing. Anyway, she is all put back together and runs nicely! First start filled the shed with smoke as years of oil and grime were pushed through, but subequent runs went without a hitch.
Fred
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FArmstrong For This Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32:29 PM
Registered-III

A few more photos I took today of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0115.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	129792   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0116.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	129793   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0117.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	129794   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0118.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	129795  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FArmstrong For This Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16:07 AM
Sponsor

Looks like the balance on your steam side flywheel must have been facing up when the engine quit. At one time, the rounded part went all the way around, with a hollowed out section being around the spokes. Water probably got inside and busted out the sides of the hollowed out casting. You can see that part of the casting extends around the spoke in your picture. If you get a copy of the artical I wrote for the GEM, you can see the casting as is on our engine. Missing iron won't hurt anything, as long as the hub is not cracked. Do you use the Wisconson for starting the OCSP? Glad to hear you got it running!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 02:33:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
When we started the OCSP for the first time, it was just a test to see if it would start. We just fed the intake off a Bernz O Matic torch, unlit (not the best idea, we found out). After heating the hot tube, it was rolled thru several times, and it didn't have much compression. When it finally did fire, it scared the hell out of us, as it accellerated faster than anyone would think 5 foot plus wheels could accellerate! It must have hit over 200 RPM, even with the gas removed, before it finally decided to slow down. It took the frame off the ground about a foot, at the back. I guess that the flywheels were not too well balanced for the 17" of stroke this beast has. The engine frame is now mounted to a 24" thick 8x20 foot concrete pad with 8 3/4" Quick Bolts. It doesn't move now! We only run it at about 100 to 120 RPM, as it is un loaded at this time, so 20 HP is probably not far off from what it is putting out. Compression is so high now, that the engine cannot be rolled over (even with 4 guys hanging on the flywheels), unless the compression release is openned. It always has to be bump started. Thanks for the info!
Andrew

hey andrew

never ever never try to start a big engine on a hot tube by rolling it through by the flywheels. they can fire at any time, even at bottom dead center. you're lucky it didn't throw all 4 of you into the trees. always bump start a big hot tube engine, at least until you are very familiar with the engine you are trying to start. if one ever runs away with you, just stuff a rag into the mixer air opening. that will stop them. they can't fire without oxygen. that's an old well tenders trick i was taught. i have picked my butt out of a bush from a hot tube engine that i thought always fired in the same position, but i had the tube too hot and it fired as soon as i moved the flywheel less than an inch. be careful out there. if you have air start or pony motor start, that's a different story

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48:05 PM
Registered-III

Andrew,
Yes we use the Wisconsin to start the engine right now. Hopefully after we dial her in, we will be able to bump start her by hand.
Fred
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44:29 AM
Sponsor

Rod, We never try to start the OCSP with a complete roll thru! It is only rolled over cold, to prime the accumulater when the gas tanks are hooked up fot the first time of the year. After initial prime, we can use the decompression valve to get the engine ready to run, once it is warmed up. We always bump start the OCSP, when demonstrating, and even then sometimes she won't always start and run in the direction you want! There are many times when she will roll back and forth 4 or 5 times before it finally gets enough inertia to keep going, and we always draw a crowd on start up. Sometimes, it will let off a hell of an afterfire out the 4" exhaust, (mixture too lean), and that really draws people over to see the exhibit! I guess people just have a natural disposition to come and look at what blew up! 2 years ago, we had a complaint from one of the farm animal exhibitors'. Seems he has some kind of exotic 'fainting goats', and when the OCSP backfired, they all dropped - out cold! The guy was really P O ed! After he left, another guy came up and offered me 10 dollars to do it again! He said people were laughing so hard at the goat exhibit, that they were falling down! Things people will do!

Andrew
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 01:30:48 AM
Subscriber

I have an aminal complaint also, at our local show with the noise, with my SPOC? We have a horse drawn wagon that runs most of the day , on the main drag. The oil field engine line is, also on the main drag, I am on the end and the loudest one there? Last year on Saturday the horses were very spooky when they would go by, Sunday I was the only one running, yep I need to Midasize, I don't need to get the fingure pointed at me, for a run-a-way? It was a close one Sunday?
Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53:23 AM
Sponsor

We are planning to extend the exhaust stack to about 12 feet above the ground level. To try and put a muffler on the OCSP is not practical for 2 reasons: 1) you cannot have too much back pressure, or the engine will not breath properly. 2) if the engine on the coast cycles loads the exhaust with propane, an afterfire (and it does!), will make a bomb out of the muffler. One cubic foot of properly mixed built up propane will cause a detonation equal to a stick of dynamite. Not a good thing, in an enclosed space like a muffler!
Andrew
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50:05 PM
Subscriber

Andrew
Yes; I like the way my SPOC breaths, power, coast, power,coast, power,coast, free and easy at 85 RPMs. As a fabricator & welder for many years, I know all about propane build up, and an experience like Cady Shack, with moles in the back yard???
I was thinking of making a stack extention out of expanded metal? I also have a small water leak in the cylinder, over night and makes for a very interisting start up in the next morning? I weight for a crowd to gather and give them a real show with Old Faithful, the second and third fire are the best, get your camera ready.
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Whitney For This Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08:39 AM
Sponsor

Your problem might just be a bad or loose head gasket. If it is the cylinder itself, Isolating the cylinder from the cooling system and putting in some 'water glass' will seal the cylinder or head itself, if it is leaking. Personally, I would check the head gasket first.
Andrew
Old 03-04-2012, 01:31:33 PM
Subscriber

Andrew
I am thinking it could be the head gasket, the only time I leave water in the engine is at the shows over night. Been like this for several years, kind of my trade mark for first start up in the morning? It only makes 2 or 3 shows a year? My water tank is in the back, I think its a 40 gal. gas water heater. I travel with it empty, have to conserve weight on the back, with support equipment? I balanced the engine and trailer before bolting the engine down, not thinking of other stuff I need to take along?

I must have missed the last post you put on my post for the VS? You had a lot of questions? If you still need answers run them by me again, Fred won't mind, I know him form bearing scraping. Main bearings, Bessemer. At our show a few years ago, we had a crowd all day. It seams that people are fascinated with work, They can stand and watch it all day?
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Whitney For This Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47:12 PM
Sponsor

When we were working on the OCSP, we always had a crowd, especially when we were making noise! Lighting the Turbo torch always made people jump,expecially if the gas didn't light on the first stroke! A #6 turbo will use up a B tank in about 20 minutes, and will have ice on the tank if it is humid out! Now when we go to start it, if it backfires, people come running! Everybody likes a good bang, it seems!

As for the V/S, I was trying to answer questions you had on the unit, and wa asking questions in return. At our last communication, you didn't have the piston out yet, and were trying to figure where the compression loss was. I guess you are right about the ring diameter. 6" rings will not seal well in the bore dimensions you gave.

Andrew
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05:16 PM
Subscriber

My best show stopper; I am standing with my back to my engine, talking to some one and the engine will cough a couple of times. The person I am talking to will stop talking, his eyes get real big and he points to the engine, and says. " It stoped, Restarted it self and is running in the opposite direction" Sometimes I play dumb and say " Realy? What did you do? " Then I explain to him that it is running in the wrong direction, but that is ok? In about 20 min it will stop and restart in the right direction? I also explain that running in the wrong direction in the field is not good.
Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Whitney For This Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11:12 PM
Registered-III

Yeah Bob, if it reverses direction while it is pumping, won't it pump the oil back into the ground?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray Ethridge For This Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18:10 PM
Subscriber

Ray
Ha! Ha!, Yep, That is what I tell them, if it doesn't wreck the equipment first? As Walt would say, " That is all in part of showmanship "
Bob
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46:54 PM
Sponsor

Sometimes our OCSP will reverse on its own, especially if the gas pressure in the engine side tank gets too cold from evaporation. Many times it will not reverse just once, but will rock back and forth many times. As this does not use as much fuel, it allows the tank to warm up and the gas supply becomes enough to fuel a complete revolution. Off it goes again. The record before re-starting is 37 reversals. We had quite a few people ask "Is it supposed to do that? Never saw a rocking engine before?"
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts

most halfbreeds have a grease cup on the rod bearing and can run either direction without any harm. most of the later gas engines have a wiper/licker installed in the rod cap that scrapes the oil from a cloth wick. most bessemers, pattin bros., south penn, etc. with a oil tree and a wiper wick set up are meant to run in only one direction. the scrapers on these engines are a small metal scraper tabs that will only let the oil into the rod bearing when running forward, and the oil just runs off of the rod cap when run in reverse. i have had to pour a few rod bearings because the owners would let their engines run in either direction. not all of the gas oil field engines had the lickers with the channel opening on one side though. check yours out to see. i think most bullwheels and power units can run in either direction. the oil doesn't care???

rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9535_opt.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	130434   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9536_opt.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	130435  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21:26 PM
Sponsor

Our OCSP has oil wells for the main bearings, which are babbitted. The ways for the cross head are also fed by oil wells. The con rod throws, at both ends are Munkenheimer grease cups, with spring tensioned feeds. When the tops are turned down, the springs feed a smakk amount of grease at a set rate, supplying fresh grease to the bronze bearings for about 4 hours. In the fiels, they could be set to operate for a week at a time, albiet at a slower rate than I have them set at. The originals probably were larger than the ones I mounted, they were missing when we got the engine. I have also seen later versions of the OCSP with grease cups mounted in the way slide lube wells. I don't know if they were original.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48:10 PM
Subscriber

I have oil wells and greas fittings. Grease every time I start.
Bob