Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Model 92 Carburetor test tool

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 4368 times

Old 08-24-2012, 10:01:15 PM
Registered-I

Photo Maytag Model 92 Carburetor test tool

I recently bought this tool along with a number of others from a Texas Maytag enthusiast.

He told me that you press the white knob at the bottom while pressing the rubber stopper into the air intake. If it holds a vacuum for 4 seconds then leave the carburetor alone.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this tool before or has had any experience with it. If so, do you agree with my description of how to work it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-24 17.04.11.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	143266   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-24 17.03.59.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	143267   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-24 17.05.18.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	143268  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gampy For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21:38 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytag Model 92 Carburetor test tool

Never seen that tool or had a need for it. But it is obvious as to its purpose. Its to test to see if there are any leaks with an assembled carburetor. Testing for leaks is a debate-able idea for a rebuilt Maytag carburetor. As to using this as an end all be all of carb testing its not going to tell you about wear to the internals unless the wear is severe enough that the valve leaks or there is a crack somewhere that leaks. Or for flow and atomization characteristics. I have rebuilt these carbs for many years and never had a use for or even dreamed of having a use for a tool like it. And as a aide for the occasional rebuilder I am not sure what it would help with. If you are looking for a tool to detect faults with a carb, by the time you learn what the tool is telling you, you can just as easily tear down and inspect. They are not that complicated. One tool I have dreamed of having just for the fun of it is a flow tester. Its need for use would be slightly more. Still gimmicky for a Maytag carb but more interesting. Mark
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43:56 PM
Registered-I

I agree, the 92 carb is very simple and I have not needed the tool. Perhaps it may have been used (in the day) by the friendly Maytag Repair man as a quick diagnostic tool.

After all I don't know the origin of the lonely Maytag Repair Man, but this tool may have contributed to his being lonely. Not too much time spent on the job. Just stick a guage on it and get on back to being lonely.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51:20 PM
Registered-III

No test tools in the tool list. Mark
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18:39 PM
Registered-III

I must be missing something about the purpose of this tool. How could you pull a vacuum at the air inlet of the carb since there is a breather tube in the back of the carb housing that vents the fuel tank. You would have to have a completely sealed tank and a perfect gasket seal at base of carb. Even the fuel fill cap has vent hole in it. It could only pull a vacuum if the carb is off the engine base and the the breather tube is plugged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92carb.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	145375  
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17:17 PM
Banned

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Maytag engines, but if it were me, I believe I would hold tight to that tool until such time as more information becomes available. Perhaps it was assembled by an inventive type, out of spare parts he had laying around, and was never produced by the factory....the Maytag script on the guage notwithstanding. As such, it may never become worth more than whatever you may have paid for it.

Or maybe, it was a short-lived, genuine Maytag article, of very limited production. The zip ties hint at a more modern birthright, or at least a recent improvement to the original design, but who knows for sure? The Maytag aficianados who are sure that their stock of knowledge is infallible? Maybe, but if it were possible to somehow prove that your tool is what it seems to be, then irregardless of how well it may have worked, or even if it didn't live up to the factory's expectations, then those same enthusiasts will probably bemoan the fact that THEY can't find one to add to their personal collections......

Either way, the place to start would appear to be the collector you acquired it from.

Yeah, since it's not costing you anything to feed it, I think if it were me I'd set it up on a shelf for awhile...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07:28 PM
Registered-I

The zip ties were put on by me. I also replaced the rubber tube and the metal tube. The tip on the end is one of two sizes that are original. I also kept the original rubber and metal tubes. I duplicated their size and length. The original ones had some kind of sticky glue stuff on them. The other end "stopper" with a hole in the center is the larger of the two sizes. I wanted to see what it did and how it might work and the originals seemed to leak. I was told to close the needle valve before testing?

Working or not, it's Maytag and it's a cool thing
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gampy View Post
Working or not, it's Maytag and it's a cool thing
Exactly...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:06:51 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,098 Times in 826 Posts

Looking at the gauge the Maytag script almost appears as if it was applied there by someone else (just too bright to match the faded back ground) I have several vintage gauge sets for other pieces of equipment and irregardless of who made the gauge the manufacturer's name (of the product utilizing the gauge) is always printed on the back ground, not applied as a cut out as in yours. Not that I am discrediting the gauge as genuine maytag, but it does appear to perhaps open the door which would lend to it having been created by some rather intuitive individual...
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,352 Times in 4,105 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag Model 92 Carburetor test tool

I would suggest that it probably would be used to test the entire crankcase/ intake system. If you have poor bearing fit, bad gaskets or poor ring seal, you will loose crankcase/intake vacuum pretty quickly. Eventually the tank vent will drain what vacuum remains after you stop turning the engine, and if the piston uncovers the exhaust port, all is lost anyways. With good crank sealing, you should be able to generate at least 20 pounds of vacuum, in a perfect world. After an engine wears - who knows what is possible!
Andrew