Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 4582 times

Old 02-26-2013, 01:01:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts
Default Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

letting gas into the cylinder of a hot tube engine is very dangerous. i know this from experience. the last time i did this, the engine fired and about blew out my ear drums. hot tube engines are dangerous at the very best, but thats what i love about them. it's not as dangerous if the compression release is open.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,351 Times in 4,104 Posts

Are you trying to run the engine directly off the regulater supply? If you do not have an accumulater, then that is your problem - not enough gas volume to keep the engine running. The regulaters cannot react fast enough to supply the fuel needed to run the engine. You only need about 11" of water column, to feed the engine. A grill regulater cannot pass enough gas to properly feed the mixing valve at the intake. You may be getting a burst of fuel at initial intake, but later inlet sessions are starving for gas, or may be flooding, is the pressure is set too high. For an accumulater, you need a cylinder with enough volume and a large enough diameter outlet to feed the intake mixer properly. The one I built for my engine club's OCSP was 4" in diameter and 42" long. Inlet was 3/8, supply from a grill regulater set at 11" WC (about 2 PSI). Outlet was 11/4", using a Bull Headed Tee to feed 2-3/4" hoses to another bull headed Tee at the inlet valve. The Tees measure as follows: 3/4" x 3/4" x 11/4" (3/4" on the run, 11/4" on the side - the side faces the accumulater and the inlet mixing valve. The diamond fuel valve is on the 11/4 pipe, coming off the accumulater to the first Tee connection. The idea is to have enough volume at low pressure, in order to mix and supply the fuel to the engine. Low volume at high pressure won't work (running directly off a regulater).
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15:44 PM
Subscriber

your wrong on this one andrew. i have a 25 reid and a 20 ball that i run regularly off of 2 20 lb. cylinders on each engine with gas grill regulaters with 1/2" hose to the diamond valves and no acumulaters at all. all engines require different things. that being said, i do recommend a accumulater tank on all big oil field engines to keep from freezing off the small tanks, and i think he has one on this one. if it is not firing on the second time around, turn the diamond valve off and rock it back and forth a few more times. if it was flooded, it will hit again. if it was lean, it will not hit again. if it was lean, i would cut the air intake in half and try it again. also practice with the valve spring pressure while changing the air intake size. i did add an acumulater to the 25 reid last fall. welcome to bessemer land.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50:23 PM
Registered-I

just like clock work it will hit and slowly roll through the next compression stroke to a stop, and sometimes it won't even make it back up to TDC until it just stops.
Jim you have no idea how close you are to having this engine running! If this was me I would open the gas valve some more. I fought the same thing when learning how to start my. The help I had at the time keep telling me it was to rich. Well they got frustrated and left. I opened the gas valve up some more and lo and behold she took off.
I am no expert but I feel you are very close.

Ray I don't hold my hand over the air intake when allowing gas into the cyclinder. Endless Tread has a good way of doing it also. Keep experimenting you will get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trimmer For This Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20:11 PM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,758 Times in 565 Posts

Just got in and read through the post, some of the things mentioned I have, but some I do not.
I do have an Accumulater tank that is 4" in diamater and 52" long. The fuel line from the 11" WC regulator feeds in 1 end, and the other end is directly hooked to the 1" diamater gas piping going to the brass bessemer diamond valve.
I put a 3" diamater nipple in the air intake side of the gas / mixer valve, but do not have any actual way to control / restrict air flow at the air intake, (could this be a problem?) maybe it needs to be choked down a little on the air intake?
One thing I have noticed is there seems to be a light drag on something when rotating the flywheels, I have loosened the crank bearing caps, as well as the connecting rod caps, but it changed nothing, I question if I may have the connecting rod packing to tight???. Another thing I wonder about is when I roll the piston from TDC to BDC without the comp release open, it is just hard as can be to pull the piston down to the bottom, but of course with the release open it comes down easy, so I feel the rings are in good shape. Weather permitting I hope to tinker with it this weekend, I too just feel I'm so close to it firing off for the first time in ????? years. I truly Appreciate everyones input on this engine, Maybe I'm hoping for to much for it to fire up like my 6hp Waterloo Boy.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,739 Times in 855 Posts

Wondering again: is the regulator freezing off, using the hunnert-pounder?
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17:05 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,758 Times in 565 Posts

I don't know if it is freezing up or not MoRo, but when I get back home I will try a smaller tank from the grill, I will try and make a "choke" for the air intake too, would anyone have a pic of an original style choke / air intake valve?

Jim
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11:03 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMnWV View Post
I don't know if it is freezing up or not MoRo, but when I get back home I will try a smaller tank from the grill, I will try and make a "choke" for the air intake too, would anyone have a pic of an original style choke / air intake valve?

Jim
a piece of sheet metal and some duct tape

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

i'll get you a photo of the choke set up tomorrow
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,877 Times in 512 Posts
Photo Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

I have a 22 1/2 hp and I usually set my diamond valve at 1/2 turn after a few tries of bumpstarting it will take off. After it starts I back the valve off to just under 1/4. It seems to work for me.

I saw this bessemer at portland last year and it makes me want to try to tinker with mine some to get it to run like this.
Enjoy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sampson For This Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30:28 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,351 Times in 4,104 Posts
Exclamation Re: My Bessemer is in need of an Exorcism...

Go to a good plumbing supply, and get a 5 pound guage. Install it on the piping on your accumulater. You should see about 2 to 3 PSI on the guage. When you roll the engine over, what happens to the pressure? If it goes to -0- and does not recover quickly enough to meet the next charge, then you have a regulation problem - not enough volume. If it recovers quickly, then try putting it on the piping, after the diamond valve. If it falls to -0-, at the beginning of the stroke, before the valve stops chattering, openning the diamond valve will richen the charge. Another way to richen the charge, without choking the engine, is to make the closing spring have more tension If the intake valve is too loose, it may be openning too far, allowing too much air into the engine. Most times, the spring tension is adjustable by tightenning the nuts on the valve shaft. If there is no adjustment, replacing the spring with one with more tension may do it for you.

In your posts, you state that the engine stops, before reaching TDC, on the next compression stroke. Does the engine just mush to a stop or does it bounce back on compression, back to BDC? If it bounces back, all is good. If it just mushes to a stop, after firing, perhaps there is another issue, like poor ring to piston fit! The compression generated by the engine firing will push the rings against the bottom of the ring lands. If the rings are too loose on the lands, the rings may not be sealing to the bore and the piston, causing a loss in compression. What oil are you using? Should be SAE 50 oil. 30 weight is usually too thin for these big engines.
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: