Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

hourglass flash, help!

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1952 times

Old 02-02-2004, 08:23:03 PM
David Greenwalt

Default hourglass flash, help!

This ain't engine related except it has to do with the computer I use to access this site. My little arrow keeps flashing from an arrow to a hourglass. Everything works, but is very annoying. I have been told this is because I have a program running but no one can tell me what to do about it. I have defragged the system, emptied the trash, left the computer off for 24 hours. I have had my anti-virus program scan everything twice and it says no viruses found. I don't know what else to try or look for. If there is a program running I don't know how to find it to shut it down. Can someone help in terms that I can understand? Thanks, David.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2004, 11:10:21 PM
Jake

Default Re: hourglass flash, help!

You could try this (for newer computers)

Press control alt delete Switch to the processes tab at the top Under the CPU heading, check for a number that is running above about 70 to 90. If you find one, it could be causing the problem. Try to find out what is before you delete it though, because it may be something crucial for the proper operation of your computer.

I had a problem like this, and deleting the program that was running my computer so much fixed the problem immediately.

P.S. If the "System Idle Process" is the one that is running high, then leave it alone. That is just your computer sitting still.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:13:34 AM
David Greenwalt

Thanks Jake, got up this morning to go hay those lazy four legged free loaders and when I came back in and turned on the computer it ain't doing it anymore. Go figure. Been doing it for five days and then just quit. I'm going to print out your advice and the ones I got by e-mail and keep them in my notebook in case it does this again. This is like Monday when I took my truck in because the blower for the heater was squealing and the guy came out and I told him to listen to this blasted thing. Reached over and flipped on the heater and it never made a sound, run as smooth as you please, until I pulled into my driveway. David.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:25:53 PM
Bob (ND)

Dave,

Have you run a spyware program such as AdAware or Spybot S&D, or others?

You may have some nasties your anti-virus does not detect.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:41:41 PM
David Greenwalt

Hi Bob, no I don't. That's something I'm going to have my daughter do for me the next time she's down. That's if she can sit at the desk, she's in the process of making me a grandpa. Thanks, David.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:03:39 PM
Bob (ND)

Dave,

Another thing, has a kid installed MSN Messenger, or some other instant messaging software? If one of these programs is installed, and improperly comfigured, or unable to connect to the internet at the moment, the computer will spin it's wheels trying to connect with the kid's messanger buddies, and you'll get the little "busy" hourglass.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:15:46 PM
bill

probably spyware, keylogger, or some trojan. your spyware will not detect these.