Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Morse Z

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2145 times

Old 03-08-2014, 07:34:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Fairbanks Morse Z

I have had a throttle governed 1 1/2 Z for about a year and I have not ever got it to run more than one or two feeble coughs from the muffler. It has excellent compression and both valves seem to work smoothly. I have what I believe to be a pristine (distillate) carb and fuel tank. I finally came to the conclusion that my R magneto was working sporadically, at best, so I sent it to Adrian's Magneto service. I now have a great mag with a consistent hot spark, but still I have not been able to get the thing to run. It fires most every time I pull over the flywheel, but does not seem to even try to give the piston a shove. I am wondering if it is possible that the spark or valve timing is out of kilter, even though I have the marks on the three gears aligned with what seems to be the factory timing marks? For instance could the mag be aligned with the cam mark, but 180º off? Or in like manner, could the crankshaft gear be 180º off while still meshing with the factory marks? I have too much $$ and time in this one to recycle it into a bathtub!! Help!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52:57 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Z

Make sure the valves have the correct springs, the intake will be much weaker than the exhaust. My engine is a hit and miss and for it to run properly I cut 1/2 of a coil off the intake spring, tried it then cut another 1/3 off several times untill it now runs good. I was surprised at how little compression on the spring is required.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Savot For This Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,163 Posts

Study this chart carefully and apply any corrections required. Who says those timing marks are factory? ....Disregard them and set it up from scratch and it SHOULD run.

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/show...?i=11424&c=204
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54:48 PM
Registered-I

Have you tested / verified compression (in pounds) ?? Do you have the booklet for the care of this engine? It shows how to set timing but I'll try to describe it..

There is a line on the flywheel (same side as carb) and that needs to align with the joint where the 2 case halves come together.. on the compression stroke. Then you can look through the hole (after removing the threaded plug ) to see the marks on the gears, they should be in alignment.

Also, on mine I had a devil of a time getting it to start until I replaced the check valve at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube.

Lastly, I grew tired (quickly) of hand cranking so I whipped up an adapter for my 1/2" drill so I can really spin it over while I place my hand over the flutter valve to add some choke action. Once it's been run, it'll start easy even days later! Hope this helps..
The Following User Says Thank You to 34 40 For This Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18:05 AM
Subscriber

34 40's reply I believe refers to the ZD model (saltblock) engine. Since you mention a Distillate mixer, I don't believe you have a ZD.

If you have an open crank, atmospheric intake, engine, (ZA,ZB, dishpan) then please refer to David Lyon's posted diagram.

If it is an open crank, then set your ignition problems aside for a bit, and get your exhaust timing corrected first. As the diagram shows, the valve should start to open about 35 degrees before the bottom of the power stroke, and should remain open throughout the entire exhaust stroke, until about 5 degrees after TDC just into the intake stroke.

Once you have proper exhaust timing, then work on timing the mag to fire about 20 degrees before TDC of the compression stroke.

Hope this helps, and if your still having trouble, please show us exactly what engine you have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49:15 AM
Subscriber

be sure the inlet valve is opening - you should be able to see it open some (it might even chatter a bit) as you turn the engine through the inlet stroke. The spring should be light enough that you can push the valve open with one finger, and the valve should not be the least bit sticky in its guide. Remember that this valve is open by suction alone. Also, verify that the plug is in good shape and gapped correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to beezerbill For This Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 04:39:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for all the replies. Mine is an open crank machine. I just checked the compression using an undersized compression gauge which I had to wrap with tape to get a seal in the large sparkplug hole, therefore there might have been a bit of leakage. However, it did show just over 50 psi. The intake valve does suck in as I rotate the crankshaft. I will try to adjust the exhaust per David's instructions. My question still stands if it is possible to have timing 180º off even if marks are properly aligned?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:27:48 PM
Registered-III

180 degrees doesn't matter with an atmospheric intake and a rotary magneto. Just set the crank throw and the cam nose up at 12:00 O'clock, adjust the exhaust valve, find the hard spot on the mag and install it so that it fires at around 20 degrees advanced on your particular engine, and be sure to do these steps in this order. If you follow the chart, the engine has compression, and it is getting fuel, it'll run!

P.S. ....Be sure to invest in a new 5 dollar spark plug.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32:25 PM
Registered-I

I was able to start mine for the first time today and managed to flood it badly right away. After disconnecting the brass fuel metering device and draining the excess fuel I pulled it through with the fuel line disconnected and it ran perfectly for about 2 minuets just on the excess fuel in the bottom of the carburetor. After reconnecting the fuel line it needed to be choked almost completely to run at all and ran very poorly. My thinking is the fuel metering hole is way to small. Does anyone know what size that hole is supposed to be?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:58:57 PM
Registered-III

I would blame a clogged fuel strainer or dirty check valve before the fuel orifice size. .....I am assuming yours is a hit & miss version with no needle valve adjustment.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post: