Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

2x hr Injector Ruston Hornsby 13 hp

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 4303 times

Old 03-09-2015, 08:50:33 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: 2x hr injector ruston hornsby 13 hp

Also when you assemble the injector bath it in clean fuel oil. The needle needs to move freely in the guide, do not force it. The holes in the tip should also be clean too. I think there is 3 or 4 holes. And like was said before there should be a line on the end where the tip goes through, align the tip and that mark together.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,231 Times in 281 Posts

The line I guess is so the nozzle is pointing the right way
do have to hook the lines up like this I see some other engine don't have the number 3 part I will put a small tank up top if that works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100[1].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	220559  
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15:22 PM
Registered-I

Pump is simple, the bottom plunger is the constant fuel supply. The top plunger is the injector pump. If both move freely also it should pump but, and I said but, if the check ball on the inlet side of the pump is dirty it will not pump. Also on my CR's there is a check ball after the injector pump( what the line screws on to) I have had a speck of nothing that had unseated the ball and it wouldn't build pressure either.
I had rebuilt a CR for a guy and the pump would but it wouldn't build pressure either. Found out that if I would deadhead the pump return it would build pressure then. I had a spare pump and installed it,then it would build injection pressure.

I have had that part and yes it shows it as a fuel filter but it also shows that it is bolted to the exhaust, so that would make it a fuel heater in the winter. I have tried to start mine in cool temps but it's kinda a pain in the butt. I don' t use my air start so I just crank mine. I have a CR with 54 inch flywheels so it is easier to start by hand once you get the momentum to overcome full compression.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustongreen For This Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:17:01 PM
Subscriber

the top rod moves nice the other is stiff will take it apart clean and oil it up water went down the governor and filled the inside case cracked the cover
there is light rust on the springs the water wasn't in there to long to pit any thing
this is the only thing I need to deal with on the engine was the injector and pump

but they are the parts take can make the engine from running
going to take the head off and redo the valves

it was sent up as a preheater but if I don't need it won't put it on won't be running in the winter I will be using the air my cranking days are over
Old 03-09-2015, 11:12:52 PM
Registered-I

Yes the fuel plunger should move freely because that is what has to supply the fuel. If the top plunger returns alot of fuel there is a seat that I'm not sure how it can be resurfaced. I have 2 spare pumps that I need to do that to. You shouldn't need to pull the head to resurface the valves. The CR you just need to undo the intake assembly and remove the keeper from the exhaust spring and do the grinding without pulling the head off.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustongreen For This Post:
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38:34 AM
Subscriber

the reason I was going to pull the head was to check for rust and carbon like I was saying this engine has sat under a tarp witch isn't the best some times.
the piston is out when i go back will look in with a flash light .aren't those valve keeper a bear to get out some times

on the pump when it is on the engine it's the lower rod that is nice and free the upper is stiff haven't really looked at it yet there might be rust on the shaft the other is great
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24:52 AM
Registered-I

The keeps can be a pain but it depends how determined you are I guess. Unless you have a copper head gasket and 2 joint rings I wouldn't t take the head off. Or just anneal the head gasket the top spring on the pump is a stiffer spring than the bottom. If you take it apart I would measure the distance from the end of the plunger to the pump housing. This may be critical when it is running for injection pressures.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustongreen For This Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 07:29:02 AM
Registered-I

Some further notes: The end of the injector inlet filter marked by a red arrow has been bent. The slotted end is shaped to allow fuel to flow past the end of the filter. A spring is usually located in the injector inlet to hold the filter against the injector body. The plug beneath the tapered copper washer has a blind hole tapped with a Whitworth thread. To dismantle the injector a screw with a long thread is screwed into this hole and a nut and wide washer used to jack out the copper washer. When squashed out of shape too far this washer can be reversed for further use. When new the washer has a round section. The nozzle would have 3 holes to give a fan shaped spray. Valve seats in the fuel pump can be lapped by attaching a new ball bearing to a handle made from a piece of copper tubing or wooden doweling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Power For This Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 12:44:21 PM
Subscriber

I just got in from taking the pump apart I haven't done anything in a week it is nice and clean and all moves well
the only thing I might have trouble with do I have the right tension on the spring now

had to change the bearing that has the spring on the fitting
the filter tube I will have to shape it back with out breaking it and when I took it apart there was no spring so will add one

the injector nozzle is soaking only the centre hole is open I don't want to enlarge the holes as there very small

next thing now it to go check the cylinder the piston skirt had marks must have been run low on oil .if the cylinder is bad I guess this engine won't be running again

tractor I have use of can only lift 4000 lbs so I need to get someone he will load and unload at 275.00
lucky the engine is a couple of miles away the concrete base is 18 to 20 sq ft so with engine I figure is around 5000 lbs .I was going to take it off but is grouted in and if I don't get it going someone else might like the base

if it runs I will remove the pulley shaft and install the engine in some timbers so I can move it around

it to bad the engine wasn't taken care of it should not have many hours if the university got the engine new as it was taken out or the engineering department

Last edited by Brian.P; 03-17-2015 at 05:14:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:51:07 PM
Registered-I

I don't ever remember a spring in the filter body that's a new one. The parts book only shows a heavy spring inside the injector itself.