Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Superior 20 hp

this thread has 56 replies and has been viewed 6143 times

Old 05-29-2015, 09:15:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: Superior 20 hp

Thanks for all the advice guys! The mag is a mrf 4a301 Bosch. My goal in restoring a car, tractor, or engine is to see how original I can put it back together. I dislike having to modify, although sometimes the practicality doesn't justify it. If ya'll say it's an original mag, then it stays. Still looks odd with 4 plug wires. It is what it is. The crank on the right side does step down from about 4 in. to about 3. Mag has random fire and is weak. Got a magnetizer iv'e never used, should I try my hand at that? Couldn't hurt I guess. I have instructions. Any more advice would be very welcome!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Thanks Doug for the Ajax link. That was awesome easy! When I grow up I'm gonna be able to do that.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41:55 AM
Registered-III

Bone one thing to keep in mind on keeping an Oilfield engine original is in the field things are either modified or changed because that's what they had to work with to keep it running, or to make it easier to start and operate.
Some times the old field repairs are pretty ingenious. I had a IHC 6hp model M that was actually used in the oilfield and they had installed a Wico RI plunger mag, talk about easy to start! And turned the cam 90 degrees so it would run backwards! Im assuming because whatever they were running with it had to spin a certain way. A real head turner at the old engine shows! Especially with the hard core IHC guys LOL
So in my opinion just because something on an old engine isn't exactly the way it was when it left the factory doesn't mean it isn't right
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,741 Posts

The "correct" MRF 4 is the 307. I think the 301 just stands for a 4 cylinder clockwise rotation mag. That would explain the 4 wires on the outside. The only difference in the 301 and 307 is the 307 has a cap with the terminals grounded internally. No big deal, I think your mag looks cool. To be 100% you could buy a different cap. I'd save the money.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:19:40 PM
Registered

Thanks Doug and Reed! I was about to send my mag off for a rebuild, I put a condenser in it and now I get a spark every turn!! Gonna fire her up tomorrow . I hope. I like the way you look at it Doug. I have a 6 hp Galloway that runs backwards and I'm surprised at how few people notice it. It's mounted on a wire tie baler. My wife's great grandfather did the mod to free his cross motor case up for other work. Wouldn't change it for nothing. Wish I had the case. I'll keep an eye out for a 307.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56:17 PM
Subscriber

I honestly think the only difference is the cap. Looks like this,

MRF4A/307

There is a wire inside jumping the #2,3 and 4 terminals together and then the wire goes to the case. You could do the same to your cap. The holes are plugged with red sealing wax.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23:41 PM
Registered

That's pretty close to my cap. Why ground the unused wires? Why not just leave them off. Got her started this morning! Had to use the farmall M to do it.Turned over for a while before it started, but when it did, it ran great. Just let it run a couple of minuites, didn't have water in it. Sounded cool!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:05:41 PM
Subscriber

The sparks will look for the easiest path to ground and will carbon track the cap causing cross firing. Once the cap is carbon tracked it's ruined. Also use all 5 of the carbon pieces that touch the rotor in the mag. You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull the cap. There is a model of MRF with jump spark but they are rare. (around here anyhow)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:06:34 PM
Registered

That makes sense. I had no idea. Messed with it all day, had it running two or three times. I think I should recharge the mag. Got a really weak spark. Thanks for the education.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bone For This Post:
Old 06-09-2015, 03:00:22 PM
Registered-III

So when are we going see a video of this rig running??
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 06-09-2015, 09:08:16 PM
Registered

Well Doug, I finally got it running last week by turning it with a Farmall M for about forever. I didn't think it would ever start. It would hit occasionally as a tease and finally started. I have a video and will post it asap. I killed it after a minute or so because I had no water in it. It ran great but would not restart. Got the mag in the hospital for a rebuild hoping for a hotter spark. Fuel mixture could be an issue not knowing anything about propane engines. The guy I bought it from has been helping me with it. He kept telling me that he was talking to a buddy of his named Doug about some problems we were having and I asked him if his buddy happened to live in Oklahoma, he looked at me kinda funny and said yes. I told him I had been talking to him for a couple of weeks. Small world. Mike Frenchy. Known him for several years, he comes to our tractor show on my farm. Nice guy. Get you a video soon. If you have any ideas on why it's so hard to start, I'm interested.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bone For This Post: