Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92 Conrod/Crank Fitment

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1667 times

Old 12-19-2015, 01:32:49 AM
Registered

Default Maytag 92 Conrod/Crank Fitment

Greetings fellow enthusiast...

Got a hold of an all original 92 and tore it down for a full rebuild. Besides a possible weak magneto, my only current dilemma is a bunch of play between the connecting rod and crank, like more than 1/16" of play. Piston pin seems to have a bit of play as well. I took both around to some of the local machine shops and got a deer in the headlight look from each one. Apparently, most machine shops 'round here aren't the "true" machine shops of yesteryear.

Is there a knowledgeable member here who I can mail these pieces for a proper machine job? Other than finding an NOS conrod (pipe dream), I'm willing to bet any used conrod is going to need significant work, so I may as well use the originals and get it done correctly.

I made several attempts to upload a few pics but the process failed each time.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2015, 01:05:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,050 Times in 443 Posts
Default Re: Maytag 92 Conrod/Crank Fitment

One time I had one that looked like it washed a couple million loads of laundry! Very sloppy rod like yours. Although not totally correct I used a flat file and shaved the cap and rod evenly until I got a good fit. It worked good for years.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:48:17 PM
Subscriber

The idea as Turbo pointed out was to shave the "butting" end of the cap to take out the excessive play. Eventually though you would get to a point where it would get too egged shaped to fit well and then time for a new rod.

Kevin
Old 12-21-2015, 01:20:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 92 Conrod/Crank Fitment

A piece of 150 grit sandpaper on a pane of glass will also take off excess material on the rod and cap for you. make sure you hold the pieces square to the glass and only remove a bit at a time. The bronze is soft and will wear down rapidly on the paper. If the bore is not egges, I would suggest only taking material odd the cap, as the rod has the threaded bores for the attachment bolts. you need about .005 clearance. If the crank is out of round, only taking enough to take out the excessive slop will work for a while. If you are only idling the engine (no load), it will run forever as long as it isn't binding, and it has the proper oil/fuel ratio (16:1) SAE 30 NON Detergent OIL or TCW-3 OIL. NO modern lubes or premix lubricants. OIL ONLY!

If the rods are egged or wrist pins worn, check with TOM S, mark Shulaw, as they might have some parts. Zack Northway on EBay might have some as well.
Andrew
Old 12-26-2015, 06:04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information fellas!

I will be mounting the motor on a 1930 Model A Maytag wringer so the engine will be loaded, meaning it must be up to snuff. I'll do a bit more research and see what my best options are. I'm a bit on the OCD side and prefer to do things right the first time around.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:42:13 AM
Subscriber

maytag dan, if you want to do it right ,mill down the connecting rod cap. i use a file laying flat on the workbench top ,then rub the rod cap flat against the file to remove a few thousands .then bolt the rod cap to the rod and run a 7/8 reamer through the hole to make it perfectly round and your good to go!!
clement
Old 02-15-2016, 07:40:05 PM
Registered

So, apparently, it appears the problem is not a worn connecting rod but a worn journal on the crankshaft. I'm guessing it may have been machined in the past or possibly swapped in sometime during its life. I've been keeping an eye on ebay and crankshafts seem to be sold along with the crankcase assembly only. Does anybody here have a crankshaft for sale that's in good condition?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37:51 PM
Registered-I

Greetings,

Have you contacted Bob Blin?
He is able to get just about any Maytag parts you could need.
He found me a used, in tolerance crankshaft for my engine.

Thanks,
TekNik
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16:18 PM
Registered

Appreciate the quick reply, TekNik. I did a Google search and was able to locate his contact information. I'll be sending him an email immediately. Thanks again for your help!