Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Wisconsin TH Flywheel

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1616 times

Old 09-26-2003, 09:51:49 PM
Brian Tindall

Default Wisconsin TH Flywheel

Hello all, I need help removing the flywheel off my Wisconsin TH motor (winco genset). I was wondering if there are any little "Tricks" to this. Seems as though the shroud is bolted to the block behind it. The nut is loose (my wife always tells me the same thing) but the fly wheel won't budge. It's not drilled and tapped for a puller so I'm looking for other ways. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2003, 09:18:52 AM
Kid Dynamo

Default Re: Wisconsin TH Flywheel

I removed one from an "outdoor fresh" TF the usual way: Unscrew flywheel nut and remove any washers, screw nut back on, except leave it 1/8" to 3/16" from bottoming. Then strike the nut squarely on the end with a dead blow hammer, a lead hammer, or a steel hammer with a maple (hardwood)block.

Usually, most any flywheel will spring loose this way and can be pulled off with fingers.

If it comes off grudgingly, keep unscrewing the nut little by little, making sure there is always some "slack". The idea is that there must be slack or room for the flywheel to freely move, but the more you have the nut screwed on, the more protection is afforded the threads, which are bearing the load of the smacks.

It must be hit sharply and squarely, rapped, as they say, and hit a hard smack, but no two-handed over the shoulder swings !! It should work, but if it doesn't pop loose with a few sharp smacks, stop and re-evalute before upping the ante on the smacks. Keep that shaft straight and true !!

As far as the shroud goes, someone else will have to help you- I can't remember how it is attached. Seems like there was a simple trick to it. The flywheel should be easy, though.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:32:58 PM
Brian Tindall

Thanks for the reply. I usually use a puller. I'll give your suggestion a try. It looks like the shroud is bolted to the block from behind the flywheel. Kind of dumb to have to pull the flywheel just to remove the shroud.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:41:22 PM
Brian Tindall

Well that worked rather nicely, thanks! The shroud is bolted on to the block from behind the flywheel. Dumb idea!
Old 09-29-2003, 09:43:37 PM
David Swa nson

Not a dumb idea if they wanted to make sure you left the shroud on when running the engine. Most of these had a seperate magneto or distributor, but if you have a flywheel magneto (some THD's & TJD's did)it is nice to be able to work on it without taking all the sheet metal off.