Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag model 72-D, uniquely used. Need help!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1698 times

Old 07-29-2016, 06:37:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Maytag model 72-D, uniquely used. Need help!

Hi,
We just picked up our first Maytag after years of wanting to buy a twin to add to our collection of hit miss engines.
It was owned by a collector of antique popcorn machines that told us it was a factory upgrade to that popcorn cart model in the 40's. He is restoring the popcorn machine to it's original condition and did not want the Maytag engine.

It was connected to a jack shaft to run a drive clutch. The small cart wheel also ran a small bicycle type wheel generator to light up a series of small 6vdc lamps in the hopper area of the cart.
It had a professionally made piped exhaust that ran down the side of the cart.
It has not run since 1956 when the popcorn vendor retired. We need to know a few things.

We believe it's a 1946 model. We are not sure what the "D" designation means. The tank was dry and my husband intends to fill it with Naptha and let it sit a day or two to free up the check valve and clean out the tank. it has good compression.
We would like to put the engine back to it's original foot pedal starter configuration but we don't know exactly what parts to we need to do this and where to buy them.
Can anybody help with parts and advice?

Thank you,
Stitch~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0729161704.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	259150   Click image for larger version

Name:	0729161706.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	259151   Click image for larger version

Name:	0729161706b.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	259152   Click image for larger version

Name:	0729161704b.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	259153  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2016, 09:19:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag model 72-D, uniquely used. Need help!

Stitch, you have n adventure ahead of you! Many things to consider. The biggest is the coil. Hate to say it but the coil is likely bad or will go bad shortly after running. The twin coils have a finite lifespan of about 50 years than they self destruct. The destruction is the copper corrodes in the coil shorting them out from the insulation deteriorating. New one are about $150. Twins had two types of Eisman coils D & DA. Not interchangeable. Pedal starter assembly easy to get. Plenty of parts on eBay. Most took three types an offset, goose neck, or strait depending on which model washer they went on. Plenty of owners manuals available to. Hope this helps some. Welcome to the world of Maytag. Fun engines to work on. Simple engineering here.

Regards, kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Weis For This Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 07:22:32 AM
Subscriber

Hi Kevin,
I sure appreciate your help! Maybe the one good thing is that it was stored in a very dry barn for all of those years. There did not seen to be any corrosion on the wires or points when my husband had the flywheel off. it did fire right up and run after a good flushing out and a fill up with Coleman fuel at 16:1 and an oz. of Marvel mystery oil added to the gallon of fuel.

It's those hidden little extra's we are not sure of such as the kick starter clutch bearing balls and sprocket. Does it take springs to keep the clutch ball bearings pushed out? And what spur type to get for the pedal. Not to mention which is the correct cover. I Again, thank you for your time and advice, it's taken to heart and truly appreciated Kevin!
Stitch
Old 07-31-2016, 05:19:10 AM
Registered

This is my opinion only.The model 72 is rather common in its normal application being used on a washing machine.What you have is a unique application that you dont see very often.I would leave it the way it is since it has a different story behind it.If you could find a popcorn machine to hook up to it that would be awesome.That would set it apart from many of the others i have seen.You have a neet machine there.

---------- Post added at 05:19:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57:38 AM ----------

Stitch
After i posted my preveious reply i realized i did not answer your original question.There is a fellow called shopdog sam that has a video on youtube that shows a complete tear down and rebuild of a model 72.I feel this video will answer any questions you have on the mechanics of your engine I highly reccomend it.
Bob Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldlabs For This Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 01:38:12 PM
Subscriber

The clutch balls stay unengaged through centrifical force. When engine stops the balls engage the clutch to catch the starter pedal. The balls should remain clean but un-lubricated. Please use outboard motor oil mixed at 16:1 with gas for the fuel. Marvel will not have the properties needed to properly lubricate the bronze bearings/bushings. Yes, it should be outboard 2 cycle oil because of the bronze. There is a Maytag "bible" put out by the Maytag Club that will have everything you need to know about Maytag engines including the owners manuals and serial number list for year/month of manufacture and rebuilding directions. A little pricey but well worth it. See the Clubs web page or there may be one on ebay.

Regards, Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Weis For This Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:33:31 PM
Subscriber

I want to thank all of you for your help.
I sure appreciate all the great information guys!
Stitch~
Old 08-19-2016, 02:50:42 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,172 Posts

TCW type 3 OIL - NO synthetic lubes! High test gasoline. 16 to 1 ratio. Your engine will not like Colemans, especially if you load it. Too low an octane rating.

your engine was built in MAY of 1947. it is called a model 72 because that was the washer it was most commonly mounted on. On the mag backing plate: Model 72-D is the magneto model. maytag used 3 magnetos on the twins: the D, DA Eismanns and a WICO. All 3 can be mounted on the engine case, but parts will not interchange between them. The D needs the original D type flywheel, the DA needs the DA flywheel and the WICO is completely different.

If you look at archived posts here on the Stak, I am sure someone has posted pictures. if you can, contact Tom S or mark Shulaw, and tell them about your engine. Not sure if the tank top was altered. If there is about a 5/8" hole looking sideways behind the friction assembly, then you are ahead of the game. if not, looks like you might need a tank top, kick pedal support shaft.retainer for the shaft. Kick pedal starter pawl and gear casting and 4 balls, starter pawl retainer clip (holds pawl on the crank), and of course the kick pedal itself. You might be better looking for a parts engine, and use it for parts to repair your engine.

Before doing anything else, clean the points and set at .020. Set plugs at .025" rest both plugs on block and check for spark. May need condensre (cheapest thing to replace). After that lots of money to invest. I know that this engine has lots of neat history, but at shows, you can find running 72s for 150 up to 200 for a running engine, slightly more for the WICO version .
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 03:33:51 PM
Subscriber

Thank you Andrew! That is some great information and we truly appreciate it and your time! Well, my husband did manage to get two rods from a great member here and all of the parts needed to take it back to it's original kick start configuration from another wonderful member here! What a great bunch of guys you all are.

My husband ended up making me an ice cream cart and it works perfect. We made two batches after he broke the engine in for two hours.
I love it! Now he just bought a model 92 to make another cart for his brother.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EecwJND7B_w

Thanks again all!
Stitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	READY FOR 2ND RUN.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	260597   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE_AFTER_1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	125.4 KB