Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Ruston & Hornsby CR

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1754 times

Old 03-30-2017, 12:29:08 AM
Registered-I

Default Ruston & Hornsby CR

I'm working on a Ruston CR for a guy and I took the pump and injector to a diesel shop to get cleaned and set up again. The problem is that nobody has ever seen a Ruston injection pump before and nobody can test them out. I have 4 spare pumps but each one the fuel injection plunger ( top plunger) the seat is poor and when I try to pressure the pump up it just dumps the fuel out the return port and nothing goes to the injector. Where can I send pumps to get rebuilt or am I just dreaming here.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 06:22:10 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ruston & Hornsby CR

Hello Rustongreen,
I know nothing about a Ruston CR, but if the pump is similar to the Ruston pump on my 3VQ, then the problem may be with the spill valve(s) which are separate from the pump plunger and are controlled by an eccentric shaft from the governor. The spill valves are under square head plugs adjacent to the head of the pump plunger. If you think your setup is similar then let me know and I will try to recall the crude method I employed to restore seats on the spill valves which had suffered some pitting from corrosion in long term storage.
There may be wiser heads than mine on site who can give more professional advice, but if all else fails, come back here or feel free to send a PM or email on the subject. Regards,
Combustor.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:45:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,665 Times in 475 Posts

Yes make sure the spill valve is seating properly and also make sure both check balls are In good shape and seating also, there is one down in the suction line fitting in the bottom, and one in the fitting for the high pressure line on top.
If all is seating well the only place the fuel can go is leak out around the plunger
Old 03-30-2017, 08:11:52 AM
Subscriber

If you go to the Internal Fire Museum website (www.internalfire.com) it would be a good idea to join the forum. The guys on it have a lot of knowledge of UK engines and also the museum incredible selection of online manuals.

Dave
Laoag City
Philippines
Old 03-30-2017, 03:29:40 PM
Registered

I rebuilt mine in house, and bench tested it with a new lister injector. I polished the pump barrels, replaced the lower and upper check balls and recut the seats. If you interested I can help you out just shoot me a PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:40:25 AM
Registered-I

I do have a running Ruston and I am aware of the check balls. Once the upper ball wouldn't seat and there was just a small piece of fuzz under it so I just let fuel run out until it was gone. Like I said in my original post I have 4 spare injection pumps and they all have too much fuel returning through the return port. When I try to pressure the system up with the pump shut off lever the injector never cracks the bursting pressure, it just dumps the fuel over the return seat. So what I am asking how do I grind the valve or the seat? I will find a pic to show or take a pump apart.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48:03 AM
Registered-I

I have not worked on this particular type of Ruston pump but think your CR may be similar to the HR type illustrated below. if the fuel is being dumped out the return the first question is does the spill valve have sufficient clearance, or could it be opening too soon? If this clearance is correct I would look for the cause of the leakage. An easy way might be to remove the connecting pipes and the delivery valve ball. Then pressurize the pump with an air hose. The point of leakage will most likely show up by escaping air bubbles. The air pressure is not critical, 10 psi would probably suffice and the air hose need only be held in position by hand with a rubber seal. The ball valve seats can be lapped by using a spare ball of the correct size, attached to a handle such as a piece of doweling or copper tubing. A very fine paste should be used. Fore more information on the HR pump send me a PM as I have a manual courtesy of the Internal Fire Museum.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruston HR.png
Views:	94
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	279042  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,133 Posts

The HR style engines designated as CR (17hp) and CY (20hp) were particular to the Canadian grain elevator market. You were correct in your assumption.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30:13 AM
Registered-I

In the bottom of the bed plate it is a 3XHR. It is not opening too soon. When I swing the fuel handle to charge the system, it lets out most of the fuel over the return if not all the fuel. Now if I plug the return port it will build pressure, so that would tell me that the seat is poor or the valve is poor. What do I use to grind it so it holds pressure?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,133 Posts

Do you have your engine in the proper priming position to fire the injector with the fuel hand lever?