Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Ruston Engine Acquisition

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 6293 times

Old 01-07-2018, 09:40:20 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ruston Engine Acquisition

Got some more work done on the Ruston. Air start valve mechanism was disassembled, the valves will be ground and re-seated. Fuel filter/preheater was taken apart for cleaning as well. The fuel filter element is a perforated steel screen with 1/16" holes!

I also got the sideshaft to rotate! I used plenty of oil and heat and it finally moved. However, I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I loosened the nuts holding the injection pump cam and was able to move the cam away from governor gear (see photos). I assumed that the valve camshaft, IP cam, and cover were one assembly that could be removed from the rest of the sideshaft. However, it appears that the sideshaft is all one piece, and for it to be removed the valve cams must be removed, then the IP cam slid off, then the gov. gear. Am I correct here? If so, how does the valve cam come off? It is keyed on the sideshaft, but there are no setscrews or any other retention method. I tried using a 3-jaw puller to no effect. Perhaps it is heat-shrunk on sideshaft?

connor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2385.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	299984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2386.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	299985   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2387.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	299986  
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 09:47:26 PM
Registered-I

If it is at all like my 3XHR’s every key is a taper key. So if you can weld something on that and use a slide hammer on it you should get it out.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:41:13 PM
Registered-II

Here are two short videos about my progress on the oiler and air start valve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FLTBu1Rlh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_9clBX0cg&t=9s

connor
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 05:37:11 PM
Registered

Good to see another Ruston coming back to life, have a check for cracks along the underneath of the block before you settle her down, if it's frost damage they go there as well, if it's scale build up on the front cover leading to overheating then not likely a problem.
Richard.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,668 Times in 477 Posts

I agree, gib keys on everything, there very nice engines once you get the whole governor and fuel system working properly they run sweet all day.
Keep after it, the reward will be worth the effort, this is how mine ended up after lots of tweaking

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dustin D Ehli For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41:45 AM
Subscriber

Can it slide out towards the front?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18:52 PM
Registered-II

Ruston3w, no cracks other than those on the head. I spent a lot of time underneath this engine jackhammering old grout off the base so it would set flat on the cart, and i didn't see any cracks in the engine base or cylinder.

Dustin, very nice engine! I have been noticing that Ruston liked taper pins and keys, but this key seems straight. if it was a gib key it should have the special head. At any rate, i welded a stub of metal onto the key to grab onto with my vise-grip slide hammer. I have been giving it a fair amount of heat and oil and the key hasn't budged.

haywaj, I don't think the entire sideshaft can slide frontwards because the bevel gear that drives the governor seems to be too large to fit thru the front opening. I'll verify that, but i think that is the case.

Side note, does anyone know what a good green paint color is for this engine? I'm hoping there's a Rustoleum color that matches well since i'd like to buy a couple cans to paint small parts as i fix them such as the lubricator.

connor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:53:10 PM
Subscriber

Con-rad the Brits have some paint offerings for sale on eBay that look to be the original colours. Having said that I have mixed my own from standard Rustoleum colors th approximate the originals. Came out very nice, as I took my time.
The Following User Says Thank You to haywaj For This Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05:04 PM
Registered-II

I'm currently a little stuck because I can't get the cam/sideshaft out, and also i've been trying to pull the cylinder lubricator fitting that runs through the cylinder walls in order to pull the cylinder sleeve. If anyone has any insight on how to remove these parts, chime in! The biggest problem is that i don't know if i'm going at it incorrectly, or if i'm doing the right thing but it's just stuck with rust! I'll put up some photos soon for better detail.

Thanks,

connor
Old 01-25-2018, 10:29:05 PM
Registered-I

When I had rebuilt my second Ruston, the colour I was told was British military green. That was the closest shade of Ruston green.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26:55 PM
Subscriber

Con-Rad ,
I use Nason Full Cryl Acrylic Enamel with a generic hardener a little reducer and chip brushes for small part painting . very durable ,solvent resistant.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:32:28 PM
Subscriber

Gibbs key on cam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180118_143914.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	302577  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41:27 PM
Registered-II

I finally got around to taking some photos! Ironworker, thanks for your pic. It makes sense that key would be a gib key. See the photo of mine - it was cut flush with the end of the shaft. I then welded a head on it and after several heating and oiling cycles i used a slide hammer with vise grips on the end to try to yank it out. No go. Anyone ever have luck drilling out gib keys? I think that may be next.

Also, see the photo of the cylinder oiler. There is a locknut, inner threaded piece, and outer piece. The inner piece with the OD pipe threads has a square drive broached in the ID that fits a 3/8" square wrench drive. The outer piece does not clearly show how it's attached/threaded to the cylinder. However, it extends down into the cyl. sleeve, and i will need to remove the oiler fitting to remove the sleeve. Any ideas there?

Thanks all,
connor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2391.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	302960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2394.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	302961  
Old 02-11-2018, 11:12:57 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,334 Times in 530 Posts

Drill and tap the gib key for an allen bolt. The bolt should have as much threads as possible. run a nut up the threads.Find some kind of sleeve that goes over the key and is longer than the key. Thread the bolt into the gib key. Use it as a puller. Rob
Old 02-12-2018, 12:00:43 AM
Subscriber

I am currently trying to get the same gibbs off my Galloway masterpiece 6 flywheels ,, UGH ,, if it was like one side which is 1/2 x 5/8 key , use key stock center and drill out a piece in drill press then put on shaft and use hole as a guide ,, BUT you cant do that no exposed shaft , like one side of mine , you really need to make a drill fixture to go straight, use a small center drill and work up, FINE THREAD will give you more grip, so say my machinist friends .
I'll take a pic of my pulling setup . try a heat lamp overnight too, be safe of course .
JC

as for that coolant fixture , gawd what the heck did them british do there ???
The Following User Says Thank You to IronworkerFXR For This Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41:50 AM
Registered-I

As far as the oiler fitting goes, I'd think that it is just screwed into the cylinder sleeve. It's probably a pipe thread. BSPP or BSPT, parallel or tapered thread. You probably need to get either an internal pipe wrench that will bite into the inside of the tube, or some type of collet arrangement that will grip on the outside of the collar. I guess you could just slap the regular pipe wrench on the collar, but that'd mar things up a bit.

For the broken gib key, is it possible to bump the cam toward the housing any at all? Or tap the other end of the shaft, while holding the cam sleeve stationary? This would loosen the taper's grip and should make removal easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwfiggatt For This Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30:27 AM
Subscriber

You can't see the key but this what I am trying the bolt head is tapped into the key . and I been using a few shots of the air hammer to shock it, still no go.
I do agree if you could push the cam back it might help .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galloway gibbs key.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	303209  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22:21 AM
Registered-I

Looks like you have a solid setup. My only suggestion is to heat the whole hub casting up with a torch to get it to try to grow a bit and loosen the bonds... A weed burner torch is what I'd use.

What are the bearings made out of - are you gonna melt out babbit if it gets really warm?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:22:17 PM
Registered-II

I like that threading and pulling idea for the key! Once i finish the steering clutch for the JD350 in the other bay and clear up some space I'll give that a try. Not too much real estate to drill and tap, i don't think the finished hole will be very big - we'll see!

connor
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,359 Times in 334 Posts

I think it might work if you attach a sledge hammer to the key. If you have threaded the key you can just bolt a bar to it, if not weld the sledghe hammer to the head of the key. Let it cool before attempting to get it out. This method has helped me getting out keys on several occasions. In the case of Ironworker it would be good to weld the sledge hammer to the head of the bolt, a dry blow from the hammer together with the tensioned bolt should get it out.

Marcel